MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Legislatin' at night

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Legislatin' at night

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Meade wrote:Especially when you're talking about real people with real names, not just "foron" names like Henry Wack Wack Rabble Penguin, King of the Snow.

How much ya wanna bet that more people, on a daily basis, call me "Penquin" to my face than you get called "Meade" to yours?

(Actually, that's a rhetorical question. You seem like the kind of person that wouldn't pay up after losing a wager...nor even be honest when answering the question)

But seriously, this whole "You don't use a REAL name!!1!!" accusation that some folks like to throw around this forum is really-REALLY weak tea...and is extra-lame in situations where a person is more known by the nickname than the birth name. When I first visited this forum, at least 1/2-dozen people know who I was 'cause they actually knew me by that name. Nobody would've known who I was if the name mom&dad gave me was used to log in.

So tell mewhich of my names...Ben or Penquin...is actually anonymous? Either way, rest assured it is still a "real person" typing these posts.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Do you sign checks and make legal contracts using the name "penquin"? If so, Ben, I will make a note to myself: Meade, myself, continue to avoid making false statements about the real person who goes by the legal name "penquin".
Last edited by Meade on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Meade wrote:Do you sign checks and make legal contracts using the name "penquin"?

Meade wrote:Or are you asking in bad faith?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Meade wrote:Do you sign checks and make legal contracts using the name "penquin"?

Do you sign checks and make legal contracts as only "Meade", or is there something else added?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Like the dude on the Segway?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Ben, you wanted to make a bet. Here's a bet: I'll bet you the name "penquin" does not appear in your legal name.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Another reason for writing post after post using only the interrogative form is to avoid using the declarative, which could be interpreted as a statement of one's own personal beliefs.

And that, you know, might result in your being expected to defend those beliefs on their own merits instead of by deflecting them with distractions like publishing your own "Meade's enemies list" of forum participants or veering off into another post that is nothing but questions.

Claiming you use the interrogative form to avoid making false defamatory statements about someone that could be libel or slander (that's close to a direct quote, for you who have him blocked -- sorry folks) is just nonsensical. If we're nothing but nameless accounts on Joyce's bulletin board, how could we have any standing to claim you defamed our anonymous selves? And if you were actually discussing a topic (like some of us do, sometimes) instead of making ill-tempered remarks about the anonymous person who wrote a post, how could you be slandering them? Don't be frivolous. How the hell can you make a false statement about someone about whom you (and the rest of the readership) knows nothing?

That's absurd in the truest sense of the word.
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm

So why did all the Supreme Court Justices have to recuse themselves from testifying? If nothing truly happened there would be no need to. I am not saying what happened one way or the other but pretending that nothing happened is ridiculous.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

You're confusing him. We already know logic isn't his strong suit.

I wish I'd quoted him along with my post, because you know he's going to go back and change it. I'm still trying to play fair with the ignorers.
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 pm

The real hack was the group that reported the Chad Lee assistant getting beat by Mark Pocan's significant other. Or some such drivel.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Meade, if you wish to be polite then please don't call me Ben.

For the reasons given earlier, I ain't interested in betting with you. I just wanted to point out the folly of the "'foron' names aren't 'real' names" meme that some people like to toss out when they ain't got nuttin' else to put forth.

But enuff of that...what is your opinion about closed caucuses? Do you find it acceptable that taxpayers are subsidizing secret&private meetings for political parties to conduct their business?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

The Rs are scared shitless of Bill Lueders and the Investigative Journalism folks. That's the bottom line.

They're also scared shitless of members of the public recording what they say during legislative sessions. They might get 47%-ed like Mitt Romney so they've made it illegal for people in the gallery to do just about anything except sit on their hands.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:The Rs are scared shitless of Bill Lueders and the Investigative Journalism folks. That's the bottom line.

Please defend that belief on its own merits. Thanks.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm

If the Investigative Journalism Center was smart, they would refuse to leave their space and make as big a scene as possible to draw attention to the GOP's bullshit. Become The story!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm

david cohen wrote:If the Investigative Journalism Center was smart, they would refuse to leave their space and make as big a scene as possible to draw attention to the GOP's bullshit. Become The story!

I agree. Let's get a complete transparent investigation of IJC. Sift and winnow through all the bullshit from every side.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government