MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The noose tightens around WalkerCare

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The noose tightens around WalkerCare

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Within a few days, if appears that the Republican Governor and Republican legislature in Michigan will approve medicaid expansion.

All four states surrounding Wisconsin will have medicaid for all low income people, including two states with conservative Republican governors. The national media has been running some stories comparing Minnesota to Wisconsin. But the more interesting and damning comparison is with Iowa. There the governor is pursuing the same announced goal as Walker - moving more low income people into private insurance - but he's doing it in a way that has a chance of working. Iowa is taking the medicaid money to provide necessary subsidies. Oh, and the governor of Iowa is also doing an exchange partnership with the Feds to make sure the exchange that his plan relies on actually works well, as opposed to Walker who is playing a duplicitous game.

Sadly, the Wisconsin media is TOTALLY asleep at the switch in explaining to the public what is going on. But the truth will come out when scads of Wisconsin people become uninsured in January.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The noose tightens around WalkerCare

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm admittedly a Keynesian... But it will be an interesting case study to see how a billion dollars in Medicaid money flooding or, in the case of Wisconsin, not flooding into the state, affects the economy. Because a chunk of that money will wind up in the pockets of the doctors, nurses, and assorted other health professionals, and in turn into the economy.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Our fair state has traditionally been in the bottom half, if not quarter, of states ranking in the return of federal taxes paid by state residents. I can't believe that hasn't worsened yet under Walker. Where is the media coverage?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 pm

gargantua wrote: Where is the media coverage?

This afternoon I wrote a letter describing this giant, unreported regional story, emailed it to various WI media outlets. Response has been very encouraging. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody will run with it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:I'm admittedly a Keynesian...

As am I.

Steve Vokers wrote:Because a chunk of that money will wind up in the pockets of the doctors, nurses, and assorted other health professionals, and in turn into the economy.

I have some health care professionals in my life that practice in parts of this state where they are greatly rewarded. They tend to get way behind the Walker wing of the Heritage foundation.
Appearantly they have some 'big' worries, how do we sort this out?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I have some health care professionals in my life that practice in parts of this state where they are greatly rewarded. They tend to get way behind the Walker wing of the Heritage foundation.
Appearantly they have some 'big' worries, how do we sort this out?

Tell 'em to spend a couple of weeks living on $100 a week and then come back and talk again about their big worries.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Detritus wrote:Tell 'em to spend a couple of weeks living on $100 a week and then come back and talk again about their big worries.

I will definetly pass that sentiment along. Although, people are funny about thinking badly about their decisions especially when their achievements confer advantage.

Again, how do we sort this out?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Mad Howler wrote: Again, how do we sort this out?

I'm not sure what you are getting at from your sketchy backstory.

Are you saying that conservative doctors in your tribe back Walker because they are unhappy with lousy medicaid reimbursements?

If so, the Iowa & (probably) Michigan examples point the way. Private insurance reimburses at much better rates. Medicaid money could be used to bolster subsidies on the exchange for the crowd that is getting kicked off Badgercare.

Tell your friends that Walker has presented a false choice. The people kicked off BadgerCare are not going to afford private insurance under his current plan; Walker must change course and accept the medicaid expansion in a manner similar to that done by Iowa.

I'm no fan of private insurance based medicaid, but it's a damn sight better than forgoing $800M in federal funding.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 am

Huckleby wrote:I'm not sure what you are getting at from your sketchy backstory.

Are you saying that conservative doctors in your tribe back Walker because they are unhappy with lousy medicaid reimbursements?

If so, the Iowa & (probably) Michigan examples point the way. Private insurance reimburses at much better rates. Medicaid money could be used to bolster subsidies on the exchange for the crowd that is getting kicked off Badgercare.

Tell your friends that Walker has presented a false choice. The people kicked off BadgerCare are not going to afford private insurance under his current plan; Walker must change course and accept the medicaid expansion in a manner similar to that done by Iowa.

I'm no fan of private insurance based medicaid, but it's a damn sight better than forgoing $800M in federal funding.

Let me take it paragraph by your paragraph-
1. I am nothing, if not sketchy.
2. I do not know what exactly is on the mind of these folks in my 'tribe', although it think their worries are as sketchy as they were back in the early 90's.
3. Good on our surrounding states for making wise decisions.
4. You can pick your friends, but...
5. Agreed... and again, how will we sort this all out?!

I am a nobody, but I do not think anyones contributions on this thread are nothing. The escalating cost it takes to see after our health is a huge drag line around mostly all of our necks.

Innovating around this problem is going to cause some distress.
It is as good a time as any to hit it head on.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 am

Mad Howler wrote: 4. You can pick your friends, but...

Not so. You can always remarry into a new family. We all have relatives that we've written off.

It's your friends that you're stuck with. Impossible to get new lifelong friends.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government