MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Erpenbach: not helping

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Erpenbach: not helping

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 am

So, you think Erpenbach did what, kill this college kid's political career by calling him a college kid?

Just what kind of harm did it do? You think someone's going to see his name on a list of applicants and go "No, not this one. I saw where some politician someplace called him a college kid. He's too weak."

I don't agree that it made him look weak, but let's assume it might have. Give me an example of the harm it did. What are the consequences of making him look weak?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 am

I think it's harmful to college kids in general. Why is there a seat on the board for someone in college? They're obviously going to be taken advantage of. I don't believe it.

The real harm is to all of us. It's this continuing use of strawmen that is dividing us more and more. And yes, both sides do it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 am

The only one offended is you, the army of one.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:58 am

That you Henry are not offended by strawmen does not surprise me one bit.

"If Sno goes, I go"

Funny stuff Henry...goddamn funny.

Who is Meade?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 am

bdog wrote:Who is Meade?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/fashi ... d=all&_r=0

Intellectually smitten, Mr. Meade read Ms. Althouse’s blog daily, becoming a regular commenter. “He would write jokingly as if he was in love with me,” Ms. Althouse said. “You couldn’t tell if he was fooling around or not, but it warms your heart.”
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 am

bdog wrote:Nope, Erpenbach made it both a Walker story and now an Erpenbach story.

Nope, you're trying to make it an Erpenbach story.

The only guy who looks weak in this story is Walker—too weak to do the right thing even when doing the right thing might lend him a little credibility.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 am

Well I work on campus, so I'll do you a favor. I'll tell all the college kids I know how Erpenbach made them all look weak and that he diverted so much attention to making them look weak that Walker's side of the story has been marginalized.

That way they'll know they're supposed to be outraged.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:37 pm

bdog wrote:I think it's harmful to college kids in general. Why is there a seat on the board for someone in college? They're obviously going to be taken advantage of. I don't believe it.

The real harm is to all of us. It's this continuing use of strawmen that is dividing us more and more. And yes, both sides do it.

Okay, now that I've re-read your post, I think I have a better handle of what has offended you. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not trying to create a strawman or a hyperbole, I'm really trying to paraphrase what I think is your complaint.

Here goes:
Putting college students on a board of regents is putting them in harm's way because the other board members are just going to take advantage of them, and calling someone who is in college a "college kid" implies they are weak, so Erpenbach has harmed Joshua Inglett and college students in general because he said "This is a college kid versus a guy who's talking about running for president." And straw men are bad.

I'm not sure what it is you don't believe. I guess that can wait for another time.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Geez and I just saw this as Scott Walker being jealous of this college student who is clearly on track to ACTUALLY GRADUATE.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:14 pm

rabble wrote:Well I work on campus

I sure as hell hope you don't teach
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Question for any of you...

How was Walker "picking on" Inglett?

And how does Walker being a potential Presidential candidate and Inglett a college student make any difference? Do you think Walker would not have done the same thing with a non-student appointee? If so, would Erpenbach still have characterized it as "picking on"?

Erpenbach didn't have enough, so he played the bully card.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 pm

So I guess that's a "If you don't know then I'm certainly not going to tell you" for whether I understood bdog or not.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 pm

bdog wrote:Question for any of you...

And how does Walker being a potential Presidential candidate and Inglett a college student make any difference? Do you think Walker would not have done the same thing with a non-student appointee? If so, would Erpenbach still have characterized it as "picking on"?

Erpenbach didn't have enough, so he played the bully card.

Okay so we've moved from Erpenbach hurt college students when he called Inglett a college kid to "It wasn't bullying!"

I don't know bdog, what is the difference between "childish vindictive behavior" and "bullying?" Can you spell it out for me?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Got an answer Rabs?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:24 am

bdog wrote:How was Walker "picking on" Inglett?

Got an answer Rabs?

Why does it matter? The point Erpenbach was making was that Walker's actions were petty and self-serving. You've already acknowledged you agree with that central point. Absurd you pretend to care about "weakening" the status of college students. You don't really care about that point. You're simply grasping at that as a means to discredit the messenger.

Inability to acknowledge when they're wrong and steadfastly supporting shitty behavior if ends appear to justify a political means: yet another reason why I don't much like this version of GOP thinking.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government