MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Penokee Hills

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Penokee Hills

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:48 pm

And the larger issue is whether Gogebic's other subcontractors are, like, ex-geologists who moonlight as realtors. So far their professionalism hasn't been impressive.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:And the larger issue is whether Gogebic's other subcontractors are, like, ex-geologists who moonlight as realtors. So far their professionalism hasn't been impressive.

In what way? I haven't kept up that closely on the goings on, but I haven't seen any complaints beyond the fact that that they are planning to mine at all.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I meant Gogebic's choice of a security contractor didn't know about following state regulations. While in that case the consequences were trivial, what if Gogebic routinely hires other firms that are equally ignorant of regulations, or careless about following them? Is the company serious about regulatory compliance, or do they regard it as a nuisance?

In environmental matters the consequences could be much more serious. And if the state (or members of the public) learn they have to endlessly keep an eye on everything the company does, this could get costly, ugly, and messy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Personally I still think his ex-cop status is more of an issue. Experience with ex-cops who went into security when they could no longer work as police officers makes me suspicious.

I can't disagree! And again, it's cumulative... Any one of these past "careers" wouldn't concern me too much, but taken together they suggest a shady character.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:I meant Gogebic's choice of a security contractor didn't know about following state regulations. While in that case the consequences were trivial, what if Gogebic routinely hires other firms that are equally ignorant of regulations, or careless about following them? Is the company serious about regulatory compliance, or do they regard it as a nuisance?

In environmental matters the consequences could be much more serious. And if the state (or members of the public) learn they have to endlessly keep an eye on everything the company does, this could get costly, ugly, and messy.

Ah, that makes more sense, and I agree, it does show a lack of attention to detail on Gogebic's side. Their first question when hiring, should have been: "are you licensed to work in Wisconsin?" Maybe Bulletproof has some federal licenses that they assumed would cover them, or maybe they just lied, but Gogebic should have know what private security standards were and should have asked to see the state license before signing anything.

wack wack wrote:it's cumulative... Any one of these past "careers" wouldn't concern me too much, but taken together they suggest a shady character.

To be somewhat fair, I knew of several Madison area security agencies (some out of business now) that would have loved to go the same route as Bulletproof, but for the lack of a lucrative career in real estate. Some even did tactical training.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Dipper wrote:Are there any other professions that you care to cast into your pit of shame?

Sure: high-risk finance and private soldiering. And politicians.

Dipper wrote:Stick to the facts.

This is not a news article, we are not reporters; this is a discussion forum and we share opinions as well as facts.

I'm sorry my opinions offend you, Dipper.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:11 am

The Chippewa have set up a protest camp near the mining site and the Iron County board wants criminal charges against them. But the local D.A. says, not so fast. Treaty rights can be very tricky.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 am

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a follow up story to the security guard brouhaha.

Gov. Scott Walker's top aide and other state and local officials were informed when an Arizona security firm was deployed to a northern Wisconsin mining site this summer, but none of them checked whether the firm was licensed.
Under state law, providing security without a license can be punished with a fine of $100 to $500 and three to six months of incarceration. In addition, regulators can bar a firm from providing security services in the state for one year for failing to comply with the law.

The security company's contact with the governor's office is "all the more reason to believe there is more heat on the regulating department," said Anthony Stella Jr., a Hurley lawyer who filed a complaint against Bulletproof.

Bulletproof's decision to reach out to the governor's office shows that it was making political calculations, Stella said.

State Sen. Bob Jauch (D-Poplar), whose district includes the mine site, said the governor's office's involvement was problematic.

"I'm surprised and stunned that the governor's office had knowledge of a security firm that was going to conduct themselves illegally in the state," said Jauch.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Oh please. I'm opposed to the mine, and believe that tribal rights will prevent it from ever being realized. But stop grasping at straws. The security firm's licensing issues are a sideshow at best (or worst). They thought their federal credentials superceded state requirements. Honestly, if you didn't already hate everything about them, is that so unreasonable?

If you want to win anyone over, try bitching about things that really matter. The security firm ain't it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:45 am

I recommend contacting State Sen. Bob Jauch with your concerns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm not in his district, and I'm pretty sure he isn't going to change his mind.

Generally, I like his politics. I don't always agree with the battles politicians choose to pick even if I ordinarily support said politician.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Two more news snipets about the mine. Both from Wisconsin Public Radio, via the Cap Times.

Mine security forces may return unarmed: Mike Simonson of Wisconsin Public Radio reports: "Bulletproof Securities will return to patrol the Penokee Hills for Gogebic Taconite (GTAC), but this time they may be unarmed. The Arizona-based security firm made headlines with guards dressed in desert camouflage and carrying semi-automatic weapons. It is alleged to have violated state law by operating without a license. Bulletproof, GTAC and the landowners are all liable to be fined. But Iron County District Attorney Marty Lipske says he’ll forego charging anyone if GTAC agrees to have Bulletproof guards patrol without guns."

Iron ore mining could release asbestos-like fibers: Mike Simonson of WPR also reports: "The Department of Natural Resources says that asbestos-like fibers could be released from iron ore mining or sampling in northern Wisconsin. The focus is on a naturally occurring mineral called grunerite. Department of Natural Resources hydrogeologist Larry Lynch says grunerite is common in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Minnesota’s Iron Range and northern Wisconsin’s Penokee Hills. ... In most cases grunerite is not fibrous, which means it wouldn’t take the shape of asbestos fibers. But Lynch says they need to find out if that’s the case at the proposed mining site. He says there could even be a problem on small-scale bulk-sampling, but he thinks steps proposed by Gogebic Taconite would be safe."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Quid pro quo, bitches, I'm outta here!!!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:42 pm

O.J. wrote:Quid pro quo, bitches, I'm outta here!!!

"Has a private-sector job lined up," does he? Anyone care to guess which private-sector organization has agreed to hire him?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:12 pm

We could use more of this. I can think of a bunch of other Republican legislators who deserve to move on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government