MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 pm

massimo wrote:Too many threads about your precious fireworks are a bad thing.

It is not about fireworks. It is about the most heavily attended multicultural family event held in central Wisconsin and how Paul Soglin and a few well placed activists killed it.

But you know that.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Bonus post

I bet none of you have children living at home.

Policy decisions in Madison are overwhelmingly driven by decision makers who don't have children in their home.

I would bet less than ten percent of the city council members have children. Do any of them have children? even grown children?

To fully appreciate Rhythm and Booms you have to have kids. It was a family thing.

That is why it is so easy for Snowqueen to mock and say just go shoot bottle rockets off the roof of your house.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm

swimmingupstream wrote: a few well placed activists killed it.

A few well placed activists and much of the north and northeast side who were fucking sick of picking up trash, broken glass, you name it and having people pee and puke in and trample on their lawns and flower beds.

Since it is so fucking wonderful, let's move it around and "share" the love!
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:00 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Bonus post

I bet none of you have children living at home.

Policy decisions in Madison are overwhelmingly driven by decision makers who don't have children in their home.

I would bet less than ten percent of the city council members have children. Do any of them have children? even grown children?

To fully appreciate Rhythm and Booms you have to have kids. It was a family thing.

That is why it is so easy for Snowqueen to mock and say just go shoot bottle rockets off the roof of your house.

And yes, it WAS a family thing. And then, the past few years it changed. It got rougher and less family-oriented.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Barney says

"Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!"

What you say was isolated and could have been discouraged by the city instead of canceling the whole event.

I use to live on the north side and still have roots there and the large but mostly silent majority are stunned and unhappy that Rhythm and Booms is no longer a tradition. Many did not see this coming and did not add their voice to the mix. Also, many of the loudest anti-Rhythm and Booms activists were not from the North side.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:I use to live on the north side and still have roots there and the large but mostly silent majority are stunned and unhappy that Rhythm and Booms is no longer a tradition. Many did not see this coming and did not add their voice to the mix. Also, many of the loudest anti-Rhythm and Booms activists were not from the North side.

This all sounds so... familiar.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:06 pm

It is amazing the contortions some of you go though to side step the issue.

Let me break it down for you.

What do people think of Soglin's belief that what was not desirable for the north side will somehow fly on the east side? I believe he is being disingenuous for political purposes. What do you think?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 pm

One of my favorite childhood memories is sitting on the roof shooting off bottle rockets. Apparently you never tried it. Great kid thrills.

I don't see why swimmy is so offended with the idea of moving the fireworks around to different neighborhoods. Maybe she'll tell us why this is a bad idea. If the fireworks are so popular, it seems unfair to confine them to the north side. How about the Alliant Center next year? There's a huge parking area and everyone could tailgate.

What possible political gain could Soglin get from this? For your argument to make sense you have to tell us why he's either favoring or hating on the north side (I can't tell which you think it is) and what he'll gain with the downtown thing. All I can see is he'll piss off the tenth-floor condo dwellers instead of the people on Winchester St. by moving the show.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Snowqueen-your parents allowed you to shoot bottle rockets off the family home roof top when you were a kid? You are lucky you did not put you eye out or break your neck doing that.

My theory is that Soglin has no intentions of seeing through the plan announced this past week. Instead he is trying to politically inoculate himself from the charge that he ended the city wide fireworks celebration that was so popular with people from all social and economic classes, but especially popular with working class people and minorities. He will get push back from the self selected activists and he will back away saying "I tried to save Rhythm and Booms, but..." That is why I titled this post "Soglin's cynical play".

Time will tell if I am right.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't know. I'm not sure I understand your complaint.

Could you whine and cry and make judgemental statements some more? Maybe start another thread on the same topic and say that it's got a completely different focus?

Then I bet I'd get it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Soglin had to know before making this plan public that it would generate opposition from certain self-selected activists on the near Eastside from Atwood to downtown. If he does not go to the mat fighting for this plan then we will know it was just a political counter maneuver on his part.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Soglin had to know before making this plan public that it would generate opposition from certain self-selected activists on the near Eastside from Atwood to downtown. If he does not go to the mat fighting for this plan then we will know it was just a political counter maneuver on his part.

Thanks. That helps with the judgmental and whining.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Have you communicated your concerns with your alder? If so, did you get a reply?

Start there. Ranting about Soglin and fireworks on this forum comes later.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Rabble you are either a twit or you work for Soglin, maybe both, but whatever the case I am not going to bother with you anymore.

Henry, ranting (I am not doing that by the way) is not allowed on the Daily Page? You are a funny chap.

I am putting out there some uncomfortable analysis that might prove in time to be true and that is making some people here very uncomfortable and mad.

Sorry about that.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Snowqueen-your parents allowed you to shoot bottle rockets off the family home roof top when you were a kid? You are lucky you did not put you eye out or break your neck doing that.

Now I know you're playing us. My parents have been dead for years, everybody shot bottle rockets off the roof in 1955, and this is the dumbest comment ever, except for your crazy reasoning as to why Soglin would pretend to want to move the fireworks show but not really want to move it.

It's a Friday night and you need to go out for fish. You'll feel better.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government