MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby The One » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 am

rabble wrote:Maybe we can shut 'em up if we pretend they're actually helping Walker? I know it's a long shot but we've tried everything else. Maybe some of them will be stupid enough to buy it. What the hell. Give it a shot.

I think you mistaken me for someone who has power. I have a hard time getting someone to take care of the buzzing sound on my home phone, much less lead the fight against any group of people.
The One

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 am

The One wrote:
rabble wrote:Maybe we can shut 'em up if we pretend they're actually helping Walker? I know it's a long shot but we've tried everything else. Maybe some of them will be stupid enough to buy it. What the hell. Give it a shot.

I think you mistaken me for someone who has power. I have a hard time getting someone to take care of the buzzing sound on my home phone, much less lead the fight against any group of people.

And yet you took a shot anyway. I say, keep posting you brave minion of the Walker dynasty. You're doing a good thing. You are not powerless. Stand tall!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The One » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:34 am

rabble wrote:And yet you took a shot anyway. I say, keep posting you brave minion of the Walker dynasty. You're doing a good thing. You are not powerless. Stand tall!

The Walker dynasty doesn't need the help from a brave minion like myself. The Solidarity Singers are taking care of that.
The One

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 am

The One wrote:The Walker dynasty doesn't need the help from a brave minion like myself. The Solidarity Singers are taking care of that.

What will Wisconsinites find more objectionable? A small group of left wing loonies, singing in the Rotunda or the Captial Police letting out their inner gestapo and threating to arrest everyone in earshot including people who actually work in the building?

Walker could have used the singers in his campaign but the tactics of his other minions makes it an issue he's probably better off staying as far away from as possible.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 pm

The One wrote:On the other hand, this may work out very well for the Walker people.

That's what I wondered about earlier in the thread. Getting people like Jeremy Ryan and Miles Kristan on television is good for Walker.

But why now?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:13 pm

HawkHead wrote:Lyrics that BDog's, I mean Blaska's group sang:

Permit Singers: 'This Land Is My Land, It Is Not Your Land'

This land is my land, it is not your land
I got a shotgun, and you ain't got none
If you don't get off, I'll call the sheriff
This land is private property

That is pathetic. A veiled threat of violence with a shotgun.

If someone comes up to me on my property I ask if I can help them. When we were up North at my parent's place if someone came up we would ask them where they were trying to get to and would help them with directions.

so ostensibly grown men and women are actually singing this bit about shotguns and the like in the people's house? oy vey!

i am presuming from the article in today's paper that it is safe to spectate now, without worry about being pinched by the people's commisariat for internal affairs?

what if, theoretically, some folks showed up trying to synthesise the two positions -- at first without getting a permit? just assume for the sake of argument that this is possible . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 pm

gozer wrote:so ostensibly grown men and women are actually singing this bit about shotguns and the like in the people's house? oy vey!

Well, they did for a day or two. Then they got tired and quit. You need a little more motivation than childish spite to keep it up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:Dale Schultz thinks Walker is using the SS for a deliberate distraction:

Well there's this theory:
http://www.waukeshawonk.com/2013/07/29/is-gov-walker-using-the-solidarity-singers-as-a-diversion/

Hundreds of pages of John Doe documents were released around the same time they started arresting singers. I skimmed through them- they aren't especially damning, though. Pretty much just makes Scott Walker look like a huge douchebag, and that was never really a secret anyway.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Matthew Rothschild arrested:

http://www.progressive.org/walker-cop-n ... a-reporter

So, as I’ve done every time I’m covering the capitol, I started to take pictures of the officers making the arrest. And then I followed the officers as they took Block, handcuffed and still defiantly singing, toward the elevator.

I was hoping to get a picture of Block as she entered the elevator, the kind of picture that has been taken many times in the last couple of weeks.

But the police officers said to stand back. I said I was a journalist, the editor of The Progressive magazine.

“You can’t be here,” they said.

“I’m with the press,” I said. “I have a right to be here.”

Whereupon, without a warning that I’d be arrested, Officer S. B. Mael grabbed my hands and put them behind my back, cuffed them, and said, “Obstruction.”
[...]
The police kept me in the basement of the capitol until all the protesters had left. They took down my name and Social Security number and address and phone number and employer (I reminded them I worked at The Progressive).

And then they hauled me off in a squad car to the Dane County jail just three blocks away, where I was frisked again, booked, fingerprinted, had my mug shot taken, and kept in a holding cell with three other inmates for an hour and twenty minutes before being released.

The paper they gave me on the way out said, under “Charge,” 946.41(1) Resisting or Obstructing.”

Insane.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Also Mark Clear (but not two other alders standing right next to him), and a 14-year-old girl (not the first minor cuffed and cited, either).

Arresting children, politicians, grandmothers, veterans, and reporters will outweigh one guy taking a dive on camera, I suspect.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Sometimes cops do things because it's their job, like any other job. Other times, they seem to be taking delight in some particular aspect of it, and that's what I'm starting to see here: taking delight in pushing people around for no good reason, people who aren't a threat to anybody else, people who in some cases are old, very young, not completely able, etc., and taking delight in being completely arbitrary about who they target and who they don't.

Not a flattering picture of the profession.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Detritus wrote:Arresting children, politicians, grandmothers, veterans, and reporters will outweigh one guy taking a dive on camera, I suspect.

Oh ya, I figured when then backed off the viewers last week, common sense might prevail, but clearly not.

snoqueen wrote:Not a flattering picture of the profession.

no, not at all. Out side of the DOJ, do the Capital police have any legal guidance? Because it certainly doesn't look like it right now.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alpuz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:48 pm

I was wondering when this was going to hit the forum. Surreal.

I asked this elsewhere but didn't get an answer. Are the troopers local or are they still mixing it up with state troopers from across the state?
alpuz

Postby ___ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 pm

We need to find a way to start putting cops in jail for such obvious abuses. They have no incentive not to bully people.
___

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government