MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Detritus wrote:Arresting children, politicians, grandmothers, veterans, and reporters will outweigh one guy taking a dive on camera, I suspect.

Oh ya, I figured when then backed off the viewers last week, common sense might prevail, but clearly not.

snoqueen wrote:Not a flattering picture of the profession.

no, not at all. Out side of the DOJ, do the Capital police have any legal guidance? Because it certainly doesn't look like it right now.

Unless I'm mistaken, these are very different uniforms than those worn by Chief Tubbs. Is there a backstory to the blackshirts?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Detritus wrote:Arresting children, politicians, grandmothers, veterans, and reporters will outweigh one guy taking a dive on camera, I suspect.

Oh ya, I figured when then backed off the viewers last week, common sense might prevail, but clearly not.

snoqueen wrote:Not a flattering picture of the profession.

no, not at all. Out side of the DOJ, do the Capital police have any legal guidance? Because it certainly doesn't look like it right now.

Not operating under any legal guidance? Isn't that when 'I was just doing my job' gets real close to 'I was only following orders'? But then, this executive branch policy is DOA/Walker's response to the judicial ruling upholding the right to assemble, speak, petition our government -- meaning it's the Governor's Office policy to openly violate the spirit and letter of that court ruling. If there's a rule of law here, it's no longer in Scott Walker's equation.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:33 am

SombreroFallout wrote:Not operating under any legal guidance? Isn't that when 'I was just doing my job' gets real close to 'I was only following orders'? But then, this executive branch policy is DOA/Walker's response to the judicial ruling upholding the right to assemble, speak, petition our government -- meaning it's the Governor's Office policy to openly violate the spirit and letter of that court ruling. If there's a rule of law here, it's no longer in Scott Walker's equation.

Well, part of the court ruling allowed for requiring the permit for groups over 20, though that was just a preliminary finding, so that part has yet to be decided. Based on that, though it is heavy handed and poorly thought out, arresting members of the actual singing group at least has some legal basis. Threatening arrest, and actually arresting people who are viewing the events or recording the events for the media would seem to be without legal merit. Hence my question, who is actually telling them that there is a legal basis for these charges?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:39 am

Matthew Rothschild is a political charlatan. I'm sure he enjoyed seeing his picture in the paper. Outside of Madison's left wing fashion media no one cares. This type of narcissistic symbolism never works because everyone knows this was Matthew Rothschild being all about Matthew Rothschild. Look at me, Look at me, I'm a victim of an oppressive state! Bad cops! ... all from behind his precious laptop... What a fighter and hero! He's all for the little people.
baked goods

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:54 am

It is always entertaining to read a "baked goods" post.

I find it horrible that journalists are being arrested by the CP. I would be mad even if it were a Breitbart "journalist".
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 am

HawkHead wrote:It is always entertaining to read a "baked goods" post.

Indeed. Kinda corny but always funny.

HawkHead wrote:I find it horrible that journalists are being arrested by the CP. I would be mad even if it were a Breitbart "journalist".

Actually I believe this was entirely State Troopers. No one seems to be making a big distinction out of that but the article says "Then I saw some state police officers move in to arrest a couple of the Raging Grannies, including my friend Bonnie Block."

To me this is an important difference. It seems as though the Capitol Police decided to ease off so Walker called in troopers to do the heavy lifting.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am

baked goods wrote:... all from behind his precious laptop...

"Precious laptop?"
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 am

rabble wrote:Actually I believe this was entirely State Troopers. No one seems to be making a big distinction out of that but the article says "Then I saw some state police officers move in to arrest a couple of the Raging Grannies, including my friend Bonnie Block."

To me this is an important difference. It seems as though the Capitol Police decided to ease off so Walker called in troopers to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks for catching that. I didn't even pick that up when I read the article.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 am

rabble wrote:Actually I believe this was entirely State Troopers. No one seems to be making a big distinction out of that but the article says "Then I saw some state police officers move in to arrest a couple of the Raging Grannies, including my friend Bonnie Block."

Earlier in the article:

When I arrived, I was told that Madison city council member Mark Clear had already been arrested, while he was singing “This Land Is Your Land.” This seemed to be an escalation, since he was the first currently serving elected official to be rounded up in the more than 200 arrests that Scott Walker’s capitol police have made in the last few weeks.

It's a bit vague, mixing "capitol police" and "state police", neither capitalized, but I'd be pretty surprised if the State Patrol had been brought in.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:45 am

You know what would be nice? Please, hold your laughter until the very end...

It would be nice if the officers making obviously bogus arrests would be held accountable. I don't think arresting a singer with or near a large group of others can be called obviously bogus at this point, but arresting a reporter who is literally following (walking behind) an arrest for obstruction? This is a clear case of an individual officer either abusing his power, or being too stupid to be a cop.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah, it's a little vague. He talks about previous arrests by capitol police but then specifically says that state police arrested Block.

And the Cap times says it was all capitol police.

Wait and see I guess.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:55 am

rabble wrote:Yeah, it's a little vague. He talks about previous arrests by capitol police but then specifically says that state police arrested Block.

And the Cap times says it was all capitol police.

Wait and see I guess.

The Mark Clear arrest was that day.

As noted, neither "capitol police" or "state police officers" are capitalized in the article, so not very specific at all. It seems almost certain that "state police officers" = Capitol Police and it was just sloppy writing. One would think the story would be a lot bigger if the State Patrol had actually been brought in.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, and the photo from that one shows it was Capitol Police.

Okay, so they've decided no more mister nice guy, you lawbreaking singer scum! Prepare to be randomly arrested, no journalists allowed.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 am

Has anyone even seen Capitol Police Chief Erwin during any of this? And if not, what does that say?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm

david cohen wrote:Has anyone even seen Capitol Police Chief Erwin during any of this? And if not, what does that say?

Not much of anything. Police chiefs not involving themselves in every day operations probably the norm.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government