MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby alpuz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:37 pm

So, dog. What was the final outcome of Huebsch's notepad assessment? Was it legit?
alpuz

Postby alpuz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 pm

C'mon, man. What really happened?
alpuz

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 am

bdog wrote:Stone by stone assessment - an unfortunate joke indeed!

You're not seriously trying to equate Huebsch's out-of-his-butt estimate with Sno's extrapolating how one might actually get that number are you?

No, I didn't think so--just trying to avoid the question, as usual.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 am

Geez Det gimme a break - I don't stay up all night looking at the forum.

I assume you trust Sno...do you really think they did a stone by stone assessment?

Notepad guy may have had a bad number but the one they ended up with was pulled out of some other guy's ass.

Blaska is beautiful...but no Meade? Disappointing. We shall overcome.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:45 am

HawkHead wrote:Blaska, I mean bdog, gets permit for a conservative group to sing this noon at the Capitol. SS will be outside.

It makes you consider what Blaska's motives are.

Regardless of what his motives might have been, here's what he accomplished: further confirmation that conservatives are old and white and largely male, and don't stand for anything, only against things.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am

...and completely unable to understand/accept that there might be a point of view that is different from their own, a sort of cultural blindness that tends to make them look idiotic outside of their own carefully drawn lines.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 am

bdog wrote:Geez Det gimme a break - I don't stay up all night looking at the forum.

I assume you trust Sno...do you really think they did a stone by stone assessment?

Come on, dog, you know what it means when a sentence begins with "if," don't you?
Blaska is beautiful...but no Meade? Disappointing. We shall overcome.

Who is Meade?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 am

What happened was someone knowledgeable (that is, someone who actually did this type of work not somebody in Walker's administration) took a look at the "damage" and found out it was nowhere near as bad as Walker's people were saying. So they cleaned it up in a simple and routine manner, the stones did not have to be individually refinished or replaced, and the multi-million dollar straight-out-of-Huebsch's-butt ass-essment turned out to be ridiculously high. He probably took the cost of replacing one piece of marble (with matching marble, which is not cheap) and multiplied it by whatever number came to mind. I guess that's "extrapolating," but it's got nothing to do with what actually needed to be done.

As usual, we find Walker and his people exaggerate anything that'll make their opposition look bad. They're exaggerating the threat caused by the Solidarity Singers, too. The SS may be annoying, but they're exercising their rights and not hurting anybody else. Whatever danger they pose doesn't call for the response mounted by the Capitol Police.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 am

Lyrics that BDog's, I mean Blaska's group sang:

Permit Singers: 'This Land Is My Land, It Is Not Your Land'

This land is my land, it is not your land
I got a shotgun, and you ain't got none
If you don't get off, I'll call the sheriff
This land is private property

That is pathetic. A veiled threat of violence with a shotgun.

If someone comes up to me on my property I ask if I can help them. When we were up North at my parent's place if someone came up we would ask them where they were trying to get to and would help them with directions.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

When I saw Blaska on TV last night I was a little surprised at how he's starting to look so much older. His face is sagging a lot more and he has that general loose-skinned, aging beer-hound face that Tommy Thompson's been sporting the last few years. Time for a booster face-lift dogBoy/bdog/Dave?

Now go piddle down Meade's leg.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

Call the sheriff? They're positively moderate, if not all the way to wimpy. Real wingnuts sing it like this:

If you don't get off, I'll blow your head off
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

On my playground we were much more aggressive -- threats first, means to carry out threats next, principle only as an afterthought:

"This land is my land, it is not your land
If you don't get off I'll shoot your head off
I have a shotgun and it is lo-o-oaded
This land belongs to me alone!"

There was also a song about teachers dying, bays, sharks and sauerkraut that probably would have been appropriate for Blaska and crew to croon. That seems to be about the level of maturity at which they were operating. Though, like the neo-Twinkies that were handed out, with noticeably reduced size and capacity.

Amazing that anyone would go to so much trouble to prove something that wasn't in dispute. It would have been a lot more interesting if they had tried to sing pro-Walker songs without a permit, provided Blaska could round up 20 others; they could each a hold card with a number, 1-21, just so we could be sure. Then we would see if the Capitol Police are equal opportunity citators.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby gozer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 pm

i would like to request an addition to the list of songs going forward: the epoch-making howlin wolf opus "wang dang doodle" which mentions a union hall and is memorable for its haunting chorus "we're gonna pitch wang dang doodle all night long . . . "
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby athabasca » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:24 am

HawkHead wrote:This land is my land, it is not your land

Irony -- Sheriff Mahoney was, at the time, out on the Capitol lawn lending his presence and support to the 200-participant Solidarity Singalong (that had, as always, cheerfully given way to Blaska & co. as is customary when another group has a permit for the Rotunda.)

The outdoor singalong was definitely THE place to be that day. Gorgeous weather, instruments, polka and waltz, joyful noise. As opposed to the sour get-offa-my-lawn posturing that was going on inside.
athabasca

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:47 am

scratch wrote:When I saw Blaska on TV last night I was a little surprised at how he's starting to look so much older. His face is sagging a lot more and he has that general loose-skinned, aging beer-hound face that Tommy Thompson's been sporting the last few years. Time for a booster face-lift dogBoy/bdog/Dave?

Yes, I am getting older. I've been doing that for 64 years now and see no reason to quit now. I worked hard for every wrinkle and gray hair. Not really surprising to see this much ageism among the 'progressives' and, no, I'm not Bdog and he is not me.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government