MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

More Fun at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: More Fun at the Capitol

Postby wesconsin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 am

now THAT is scary and should have everyone concerned.
wesconsin

Postby minicat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 am

I've said it before, and I'll unfortunately probably have to say it again before the state's voters finally wise up and get rid of him: JB Van Hollen is a disgusting, sleazy, hyper-partisan excuse for an attorney general.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Erpenbach Statement on Defense of Senator Vukmir in open records lawsuit

“I find it amazing that, in the defense of a conservative organization, Attorney General Van Hollen now claims that a Legislator should not be required to comply with an open-records request for emails. This is the opposite of his stance two years ago, when a conservative organization sued me in an attempt to gain an unprecedented level of personally identifying information from emails sent to me by constituents. At that time, I sought the advice of Attorney General Van Hollen, who is a Constitutional officer sworn to represent the Legislature without prejudice. He refused to provide any counsel other than to tell me to acquiesce to the conservative organization’s request.”

“The Attorney General’s actions regarding Senator Vukmir and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) are blatant partisan and political actions. They are an embarrassment to his office and to the Department of Justice. Senator Vukmir is certainly entitled to her defense against the lawsuit for her open records denial; what I simply find unbelievable is the partisan level of representation by a Constitutional officer sworn to represent the Legislature without prejudice. If you are protecting ALEC, the Attorney General will jump to represent you, but if you are protecting citizens he apparently cannot be bothered.”
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Legislators have civil immunity while the legislature is in session...and it's ALWAYS in session...therefore, legislators always have civil immunity...hmmm, what is wrong with this picture? It will take a literal act of the legislature or physical revolt by the electorate to change this. Neither will ever happen. I guess legislators will continue to be above the law, although on the bright side, if any Dems wanna join the Solidarity Singers, they might be immune from arrest and prosecution;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:43 pm

O.J. wrote:Image

Is there some kind of crate we can drop on legislators who claim immunity? That seemed like a very satisfying solution.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Wisconsin Assembly approves bill clarifying open records law extends to elected officials
The bill states that the open records law applies to every elected official who is a records custodian, regardless of whether the official was elected to an office or appointed to fill a vacancy in an office.

The Assembly approved the bill on a voice vote Thursday. Minority Democrats tried to amend the bill to clarify that the law extends to legislators but the attempt failed.

Ah yes, the Republican mantra: "Everyone's accountable, except for us." Apparently they're assuming Democrats will never be in charge again.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:Laws are only for the little people ---
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government