MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walkercare?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walkercare?

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I've always viewed employer sponsored health insurance as part of a larger benefits package. In the case of the State, someone is paid less than they might make in the private sector to do a comparable job, but their benefits package might level the playing field. Part of that current state package is a family healthcare policy.

I read today that Walker claims he doesn't even have a proposal for Walkercare at the ready....I don't believe a word he says.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 pm

david cohen wrote:I've always viewed employer sponsored health insurance as part of a larger benefits package. In the case of the State, someone is paid less than they might make in the private sector to do a comparable job, but their benefits package might level the playing field. Part of that current state package is a family healthcare policy.

DING DING DING!!
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I think in the present political climate I might be tempted to push the UPS plan. It would certainly save taxpayer dollars and force Republicans to admit that they don't want to shift health care costs to corporations. Suddenly they'd be in the awkward position of fighting for more government spending... on health care, no less!

Sure, it would be nothing but a bunch of bloviating, but that's all we're getting now.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think in the present political climate I might be tempted to push the UPS plan. It would certainly save taxpayer dollars and force Republicans to admit that they don't want to shift health care costs to corporations. Suddenly they'd be in the awkward position of fighting for more government spending... on health care, no less!

Sure, it would be nothing but a bunch of bloviating, but that's all we're getting now.

It MIGHT save 20 million dollars - it also might cost an additional $100 million fucking dollars....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Different plans, Barney. I'm floating the UPS plan which removes spouses from health care if they're eligible to get health care from their employers. I don't even know what Walker's plan is, and don't really care. I assume it's bad, but that's almost a given.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 am

Could they base family premium rates depending on how many people are covered? For example, employee + spouse + 4 dependents would pay more than a household with just employee + spouse.

Is this done anywhere in the public or private sector?
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 am

Wino wrote:Could they base family premium rates depending on how many people are covered? For example, employee + spouse + 4 dependents would pay more than a household with just employee + spouse.

Yes. State offers individual, couple or family plans.
DH and I looked at the couple plan, but cost of couple plan is the same as the individual x2 and since we both work at the university, it didn't save us anything - and then we could each have different plans. Don't know what the family plan costs.

Private sector did this, at one time, but many dropped it in favor of pushing couples to family plans. Maybe some still do, but I think it's rare.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:37 am

pjbogart wrote:Different plans, Barney. I'm floating the UPS plan which removes spouses from health care if they're eligible to get health care from their employers. I don't even know what Walker's plan is, and don't really care. I assume it's bad, but that's almost a given.

Got it, I thought you were talking about whatever boondoggle Scooter's got up his sleeve this time.

We still haven't addressed how that would work with people with kids. The parent and the kid would be covered, but not the spouse? Or would we just not offer family plans at all? (i don't have kids, so I don't care, but I think we have a hard enough time attracting and retaining quality talent in the civil service arena....)
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby athabasca » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:09 pm

So what happens if the spouse's employer technically offers some sort of bargain-basement insurance but it's vastly inferior to what the spouse is getting via the state employee's plan?

That could be an immense hit to a family, even more so if the spouse happened to be dealing with chronic health issues or some such.
athabasca

Postby Wino » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:14 pm

barney wrote:
Wino wrote:Could they base family premium rates depending on how many people are covered? For example, employee + spouse + 4 dependents would pay more than a household with just employee + spouse.

Yes. State offers individual, couple or family plans.
DH and I looked at the couple plan, but cost of couple plan is the same as the individual x2 and since we both work at the university, it didn't save us anything - and then we could each have different plans. Don't know what the family plan costs.

Private sector did this, at one time, but many dropped it in favor of pushing couples to family plans. Maybe some still do, but I think it's rare.

There are currently only 2 categories for State of WI Employees, Single or Family. Here is a link to the 2014 rates:
http://etf.wi.gov/publications/iyc14/14contributions.pdf
Wino
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government