MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Corporate crooks steal Wiscnet from UW

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Corporate crooks steal Wiscnet from UW

Postby Shorty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Wiscnet has worked well for UW for 23 years. So Republicans want to replace it with a privately run network that will cost more. It will cost $13 million over the expected cost of remaining with WiscNet.

By the end of this calendar year, WiscNet will employ no UW staff. What will they do, be layed off or fired? Switched to new jobs they don't like or can't do as well?

http://www.doit.wisc.edu/newnetwork-plans-announced/
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Corporate crooks steal Wiscnet from UW

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Yes they did.
The beautiful part of the heist was blaming Wiscnet for offering quality service at a realistic price. It also helped to agitate the rest of the state against Madison.
It was also beautiful because wiscnet might have served as a model for broader service, you do see the existential threat to...
Ya gotta appreciate the brilliant subterfuge of AT&T via their involvement in the American Legislative Exchange Council.
This was a decades long run, but having knowledge of these efforts explains some things to us commoners.
The question now that this is somewhat exposed - how will these moochers hide future efforts of extraction?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 am

I can't judge this unless I know if the new network has significant, if any, improvements over wiscnet.

A strange coincidence - the wiscnet site links to a story about an Ohio educational network getting upgraded for...you guessed it, 13 million dollars.

Ohio Educational Computer Network gets $13 million upgrade
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 am

bdog wrote:I can't judge this unless I know if the new network has significant, if any, improvements over wiscnet.

A strange coincidence - the wiscnet site links to a story about an Ohio educational network getting upgraded for...you guessed it, 13 million dollars.

Ohio Educational Computer Network gets $13 million upgrade

If you are waiting for some long form on this from the state/nation wide corp, do not hold your breath.
This example is illustrative of what has been going on and on.
Are our lives collectively better?
Or are you at a place where you find that you have been repeatedly screwed over decades, and are finally getting the 'memo'.
MH

p.s.- If the above confuses you,
Keep blaming yourself - that will fix it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 am

Walker's crushing of Wiscnet struck me as odd and corrupt.

As I understand it, Wiscnet was doing a limited but useful job of bringing internet service to under-served rural areas. Why would the dairy state want to nix such a program?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:30 am

Huckleby wrote:Walker's crushing of Wiscnet struck me as odd and corrupt.

As I understand it, Wiscnet was doing a limited but useful job of bringing internet service to under-served rural areas. Why would the dairy state want to nix such a program?

Good point,
If the honorable folks of the dairy state where informed of...
They would have understood it,
Like, you know, all the beautiful roads that were built to serve dairy farms of our state.
I am sorry, but I really find this story illustrative of many bigger but parallel issues.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government