MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:19 pm

She's in a good position if she plays her cards right, but so far it's sort of neutral middle of the road stuff.

significantly Increased debt,

lackluster employment #s compared to Doyle even right after the recession,

(says he) Doesn't know what the fuck is going on in his own office,

numerous lies about job figures, Mary's record, the debt, annual deficit,

She's got a lot of material if she has the backbone to use it wisely without over reaching...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 am

Burke releases jobs plan

The issue of jobs figures to be key as she tries to unseat Republican Gov. Scott Walker. Walker had pledged during his 2010 campaign to add 250,000 private-sector jobs by the end of this year, a goal that appears unlikely.

Burke says the state should invest in entire industries, not individual companies. She said doing so helps promote the common interests of firms and provide more benefit.

She also wants to lower tuition costs and provide more investment capital for entrepreneurs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm

The Cap Times reports on some of Burke's proposals. Here are a few:
Burke also calls for the fund to invest in biotechnology, which is currently prohibited thanks to a push from anti-abortion legislators to prevent venture capital from going towards research involving embryonic stem cells.

Federal money: Barrett strongly criticized Walker four years ago for his promise to refuse $800 million in federal funds for high-speed rail, and Burke hasn’t let Walker off the hook on that issue. In addition, she criticizes the administration for rejecting a federally-funded expansion of Medicaid and federal dollars to expand broadband internet access in the state.

“I will aggressively leverage every penny of federal funding available to build and improve our essential infrastructure — from roads, to rail, to Internet — or our state will be left at the station,” she writes.
Minimum wage: Barrett said nothing about raising the minimum wage four years ago, but in the middle of national calls to increase the pay for workers at the bottom, Burke says she will push to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour, noting that of the 21 states with higher minimum wages than Wisconsin, all but one has a higher projected job growth.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Seriously, who is doing fact checking for the Burke campaign?

PolitiFact: Testing Mary Burke claim on wages declining in Wisconsin
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Odd that PolitiFact would hammer on this particular statement -- which is footnoted and the PolitiFact writer admits is correct, but used in a misleading context -- without noticing that the whole policy paper is filled with references to 2012 stats, like that happens to have been the data that was on hand when the report was developed, or that was a nice low benchmark for Governor Burke to top in the first few years of her administration.

I'll agree that the Burke campaign should have checked some of the statements and charts against more recent data to make sure the trends are still accurate, but the PolitiFact writer seems to be weirdly outraged that the whole thing wasn't re-written based on data that came out five days before the policy paper was released, as if a formal business proposal, prospectus or annual report (which is how this paper is being presented) were no more than a blog post, or me writing spur of the moment comments on the topic of the day. Or some dumb, poorly researched, poorly reasoned PolitiFact finding. Ridiculous!

Actually, I would have loved PolitiFact to check Gov. Walker's claim that Mary Burke's plan simply copied things that he is already doing, but perhaps that fish is too easy a target.

ETA: I'll have to go back and read Mary Burke's proposal, but it occurred to me after I had written the above that the report is more about how to get our economy out of a recession, less about attacking Governor Walker's policies -- are they even mentioned? Maybe 2011-2012 gets mentioned a lot because that's what the policy proposals are geared to fix. PolitiFact was either expecting or looking for a hatchet job, and in the end simply fabricated one. Because that's what PolitiFact is all about, right? Who's lying about what?
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:58 pm

My read of the politifacts was that theyused Sept 2012 numbers and the sept 2013 numbers were brand new, but that there were plenty of other numbers before and after Sept 2012 available that were positive. Sept 2012 was an outlier which is why they rated it pants on fire.

I think Walker's response would at worst get a half true. Some of Burke's ideas are broad enough that someone could probably paint a vague connection.

Zoti Bemba wrote:ETA: I'll have to go back and read Mary Burke's proposal, but it occurred to me after I had written the above that the report is more about how to get our economy out of a recession, less about attacking Governor Walker's policies -- are they even mentioned? Maybe 2011-2012 gets mentioned a lot because that's what the policy proposals are geared to fix. PolitiFact was either expecting or looking for a hatchet job, and in the end simply fabricated one. Because that's what PolitiFact is all about, right? Who's lying about what?

Pretty much. The real silliness to me is that Burke's ideas are good and can stand on their own without relying on targeting Walker's performance at a specific point in time. Adding that one statement about Sept 2012 just created a stupid distraction that could have simply been left out.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 am

Quite the shift in the latest Marquette poll. Burke really needs to start hammering away at this:

Do Wisconsin voters want to see Walker run for president in 2016? In the new results, 27 percent would like to see him run while 67 percent would not.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 am

O.J. wrote:Quite the shift in the latest Marquette poll. Burke really needs to start hammering away at this:

Do Wisconsin voters want to see Walker run for president in 2016? In the new results, 27 percent would like to see him run while 67 percent would not.

what about people who want him to run for president to get him out of wisconsin? u know, like voting for someone for county board to get them off the city council, for the e u parliament to get them out of bundestag, that kind of thing? the appointive variant of that rid us of thompson . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 pm

I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from Americans for Prosperity (the Koch Brother front) bragging how Scott Walker saved the average Wisconsonite over $600 in taxes. The flyer omitted the fact that most of the savings went to the top 1%.

Report: Upper 1 percent got biggest savings from Wisconsin tax cuts

Let's hope Mary Burke makes political hay out of this.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Recently came across this story from a few months ago, and this statement from candidate Burke left me dumbfounded...

Asked what she thought about voters legalizing marijuana in Washington State and Colorado, she responded, “I don't think that's where the people of Wisconsin are at.”

...what data is she looking at in order to draw that conclusion? Polls I've seen show roughly half of the state are in favor of re-legalizing marijuana, with an even larger percentage in favor of medical use.

Seems like the GOP might be right about her - she is out of touch with the regular citizens of our state. Is she REALLY the best choice that can be put up against Walker?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:06 pm

She's busy making political hay out of the fact that if elected she will be sure to release a weekly advanced schedule unlike the previous two governors.

"As governor, Mary will release a week-ahead schedule," he said.

A schedule can help the public keep track of where their leader is at key moments. For instance, is he or she visiting an area struck by a natural disaster or spending time at a conference or fundraiser out of state?

Walker tried to go back to the weekly schedule but that lasted all of two weeks or so. Not sure why Doyle dropped it in the first place.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Walker tried to go back to the weekly schedule but that lasted all of two weeks or so. Not sure why Doyle dropped it in the first place.

I would guess that it's too much of a pain to keep updated. Hell, I don't even know my schedule a week in advance, and I don't have to respond to natural disasters or phone calls from major donors inviting me to play golf. I guess this is Burke trying to make political points off the successful-businessperson-is-better-organized-than-a-politican meme. I hope she doesn't believe it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 pm

I think more likely she's taking a sideways swipe at the way Walker has been out of state more than he's been in, chasing high-roller donors and making speeches instead of being in his office at the Capitol doing whatever he was elected to do.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:48 am

It was also implied that Walker wanted to avoid tipping off protesters.

Does putting out a schedule amount to putting out a tip sheet for opponents looking to gin up protests and press releases?

Either way, Burke is willing to do it, spokesman Joe Zepecki said.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 am

penquin wrote:
Asked what she thought about voters legalizing marijuana in Washington State and Colorado, she responded, “I don't think that's where the people of Wisconsin are at.”

Seems like the GOP might be right about her - she is out of touch with the regular citizens of our state. Is she REALLY the best choice that can be put up against Walker?

Only if you want to BEAT Walker. Do you want to beat Walker or not?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government