MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:49 pm

I think a Burke/Vinehout ticket would be Dems' strongest. That's why I created Voters for Burke/Vinehout Facebook page. Being Lt. Gov. would be much better for Vinehout than being in Senate minority, especially if Burke gave her substantive assignments (Tony Earl made Lt. Gov. Jim Flynn Secretary of the old Department of Development).
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Mr Levitain,

If Mary Burke did not have millions of dollars would anyone give her even a passing glance as a candidate for govorner? Seriously!

Kathleen Vinehout has been elected to the State Senate from an area of the state that is not always friendly to Democrats. She has been a dairy farmer. That is real Wisconsin. She has a Ph.D. In healthcare policy.

What does Mary Burke have besides a lot of daddy bucks?

She is from Madison and people like Levitan can not imagine themselves supporting anyone else outside of their circle of Madison friends.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 am

"Daddy bucks" How sexist of you!
Mary Burke is an accomplished business executive for a Wisconsin corporation (that employs a thousand Badgers,with an annual payroll of $50,000,000), former state Cabinet secretary, philanthropist for good causes, Harvard MBA and an elected member of the Madison School Board. I think those are all very relevant and important qualifications. She is not in my "circle of friends," and I hadn't even met her when I started advocating for her candidacy a year ago.

BTW - Sen. Vinehout received 17% of the vote in her own Senate district in the gubernatorial recall primary. What do you make of that?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:21 am

Stu Levitan wrote:"Daddy bucks" How sexist of you!

An equal number of men are born in wealth and have daddy bucks.

It should be noted that Mr. Levitan did not address the question.

The question being "except for her inherited wealth, would Mary Burke even be given a passing glance as a candidate for governor?
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 am

If I really wanted to be snarky I would point out that

1) Ms. Burke was appointed Commerce Secretary because she made large campaign donations.

2) Ms. Burke got herself elected to the school board by spending over $100,000.00 of her own money to buy the seat.

3) It is very admirable that Ms. Burke has been philanthropic with her inherited wealth. Many in her position do not do so and she deserves the public recognition for doing so.

4) I am sure Mary Burke got herself into Harvard's MBA program on her own merits. But I am sure her father's wealth did not hurt.

5) Ms. Burke's relatively short career as a business executive was spent almost entirely at her dad's company.

By all accounts Ms. Burke is a nice woman, but there is no argument for her being the next Democratic candidate for governor besides her inherited wealth.

And guess what? The one thing you can bet Scott Wanker will bring to the race is mega bucks. In fact he will have a lot more money to spend than Mary Burke will be able to produce.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 am

Stu Levitan wrote:BTW - Sen. Vinehout received 17% of the vote in her own Senate district in the gubernatorial recall primary. What do you make of that?

In the current Wisconsin Democratic Party it is next to impossible to run statewide unless you are from Madison and, to a lesser extent, Milwaukee.

Democrats from other areas of the state are not taken seriously by the domineering Madison Democrats and are quickly dismissed as not being viable.

Let's face it, if Kathleen Vinehout, with her impressive resume, was from Madison and had personal wealth she would be the leading candidate.

But she is not from Madison and does not have money so the Madison Democratic fools are screaming at her that she can't even take her case to the voters.

Something tells me this is not going to end well.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 am

I hope your legal acumen is more advanced than your reading skills. I absolutely addressed the issue of Burke's qualifications. You may not agree with my analysis, but don't say I ducked the question.

And the fact remains that Sen. Vinehout didn't even carry her home county in the recall primary, and garnered only 17% of the vote in her own district. That doesn't concern you as to her electability?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 am

Everyone was told that the choice was between Falk and Barrett and that a vote for Vinehout was throwing your vote away.

Also, voters in her county did not want to lose her as a state senator.

Also it is your reading skills that are lacking. I did not ask you about Burke's qualifications.

Instead I asked you "without her wealth would Mary Burke even get a passing glance to be a candidate for governor?"

You are ducking that question. I fully understand why you are ducking it..
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 am

Mr. Levitan, stop ducking the question, yes or no, "without her wealth would Mary Burke even get a passing glance to be a candidate for governor?"
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am

Westsidegal wrote:
4) I am sure Mary Burke got herself into Harvard's MBA program on her own merits. But I am sure her father's wealth did not hurt.

5) Ms. Burke's relatively short career as a business executive was spent almost entirely at her dad's company.

By all accounts Ms. Burke is a nice woman, but there is no argument for her being the next Democratic candidate for governor besides her inherited wealth.

Are you high?

Mary Burke went somewhere (4) Scott Walker didn't, and has business experience (5) Scott Walker doesn't have, and is a nice person, which Scott Walker is not.

Scott Walker has set the bar so low, just about any Democrat has a solid argument for governor.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Mr. Levitan, stop ducking the question, yes or no, "without her wealth would Mary Burke even get a passing glance to be a candidate for governor?"

Yes - she has business experience, and political experience.

Certainly being self-funded makes here candidacy more attractive. Are you suggesting the Dems should dump here in favor of someone with less money, to make a point about money in politics?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 pm

DCB wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:Mr. Levitan, stop ducking the question, yes or no, "without her wealth would Mary Burke even get a passing glance to be a candidate for governor?"

Yes - she has business experience, and political experience.

I think the question still remains. Without her family connections and money would her business experience have been as noteworthy, and would she have been selected for an appointed political position?

Not saying what she has done with the opportunities she was offered wasn't successful, but she wasn't exactly starting from the ground floor.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Here is what the Cap Times has to say.

We have agonized as Walker, backed by ever-compliant GOP toadies in the Legislature, has morphed Wisconsin into a place where politics faces backwards; it’s ugly, mean-spirited, anti-women and anti-intellectual.

But, pro-primary liberals might argue, maybe there is an untapped powerhouse out there. Maybe someone like Russ Feingold, the quintessential progressive hero, who as a young state senator in 1992 defeated two millionaire primary opponents and then upset a GOP incumbent to win his U.S. Senate seat.

But here’s the thing. Progressives United, the group Feingold created to champion liberal causes, has already endorsed Burke.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

she received 17 per cent of the vote for governor in her district in the recall election, as in write-ins? that is quite an accomplishment if that is the case.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

gozer wrote:she received 17 per cent of the vote for governor in her district in the recall election, as in write-ins? that is quite an accomplishment if that is the case.

17% in the primary, not the general.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government