MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

State of the State

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: State of the State

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 pm

rabble wrote:
David Blaska wrote:
rabble wrote:No, it will be more beneficial to the greater good if everybody gets seven bucks back from the state.

$7.00 ? Where you getting that?

Property taxes cut $101 on a median-valued home worth $151,000. Income tax cut would amount to $44 to $58 per tax filer. Total: $145 to $159, accd. to Milw Journal-Sentinel.

If you don't want it, pls. sign over to me.

I got that from the last wonderful surplus check we got.

If I could sign them all and put them in a state emergency fund, including yours, I'd do it. It's an irresponsible attempt to buy votes.

Giving tax payers their money back is "irresponsible"?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:37 pm

david cohen wrote:How about that sex offender on the stage with Scotty? Fits right in with Richard Russell and his former employer.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

I take issue with this:
Walker says he assumed a background check had been done, but it had not.

We did so do a background check!

We searched the recall petitions for his name, and he never signed.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Talon Newsman wrote:I take issue with this:
Walker says he assumed a background check had been done, but it had not.

We did so do a background check!

We searched the recall petitions for his name, and he never signed.

Walker's playing this all wrong. The correct response would be:
Hey we even found a job for this shitbag

Of course I'm just amused by the irony that a Republican governor is parading around an ex-con who is now working as a success story and the left is berating him for it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Giving tax payers their money back is "irresponsible"?

Yes.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 pm

wack wack wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Giving tax payers their money back is "irresponsible"?

Yes.

Its purely a political ploy to garner votes in the upcoming gubernatorial election.

Tommy T. did the same thing with a rebate check to taxpayers. Soon after that raining day fund was spent, the state went into debt. Bush the Younger did the same thing with the federal surplus (from the Clinton administration). And of course, we all know in which direction he then sent the national treasury.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:I got that from the last wonderful surplus check we got.

If I could sign them all and put them in a state emergency fund, including yours, I'd do it. It's an irresponsible attempt to buy votes.

Giving tax payers their money back is "irresponsible"?

When you are in debt by Billions of dollars yes it is.

And who is that money owed to? By paying off bonds and debt instruments you are putting the money back into peoples pockets or to banks which now have more funds to loan to businesses and individual who are looking for funds to invest and grow.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

My favorite irony of last night's speech must have been the way Walker lied about how he's going to further improve (PRIVATIZE) education in our state. Wisconsinites' collective memory may have forgotten how the Walker Regime CUT over $800 million from K-12 funding alone, in the last biennial budget. Dig those bigger class sizes in the public elementary, middle and high schools. And test, test, test ad nauseam. But if you're affluent enough (like the Nedster, childless or not as he may be) you can send you kid/s to one of those private schools which operate in an unconstitutional fashion by receiving taxpayers' money from the largely clueless public.
And of course, cutting Wisconsin's technical college funding by 30% is a fine way to broaden the skills base of people in need of a job.
Last edited by manoletters on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:08 pm

The fiscally sound, farsighted thing to do would be to pay down our debt and reduce our structural deficit. But that's not as popular as tax cuts, so tax cuts it is. It's a shame that people don't understand that their tax cut is essentially borrowed money.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Walker's playing this all wrong. The correct response would be:

Followed by
If you're unemployed, you're more of a loser than a drunken sex-offender.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 pm

DCB wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Walker's playing this all wrong. The correct response would be:

Followed by
If you're unemployed, you're more of a loser than a drunken sex-offender.

Well as a political message it's probably better to leave the second part unsaid. The people Scotty is talking to can fill that bit on their own with little prompting anyway. Hell, they probably already do.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Remember when the Republicans were complaining about kicking the can down the road when faced with government debt? I guess they only feel that way when Democratic administrations are in office.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:02 pm

I couldn't get the most up-to-date graph on the "Wisconsin Gazette's" web page, though it appears in their current print edition. This will have to suffice as proof that Walker and his ilk have been busy killing jobs, and Wisconsin ranks far closer to the bottom than the top in job creation.
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/wp-content/up ... nChart.png
Here's more recent evidence:
http://journaltimes.com/news/local/stat ... 963f4.html
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Madsci » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Walker said last year our property taxes would go down. Ours went up, while our assessment went down. An increase for local schools is the reason for the increase.
This year I expect the same. If one cuts funding for K-12, it has to come from somewhere.
Walker is such a weasel, and not in a good way.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Lets not forget that this isn't a real surplus. It's borrowed money, and a huge lie to claim otherwise. If Wisco media had a tad more integrity...

Walker seeks $2.1 billion in new borrowing for 2013/15: http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/201128821.html

On top of the $558 million in borrowing in 2011/12: http://bdgrdemocracy.files.wordpress.co ... nehout.pdf

Walker started with $12.9 billion in Long Term Debt the day before his first budget went into effect. Wisconsin's long term debt as of June 30, 2011 ~ Table 8 at the top of page 33 under "2011 total":
ftp://doaftp1380.wi.gov/doadocs/2011CAFR_Linked.pdf

Wisconsin's long term debt hovers around $14.7 billion now: http://www.newiprogressive.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=56

... according to numbers released by the nonpartisan Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance, the 2013-15 budget spends $4 billion more than the previous. In fact, state spending is greater than it has ever been in Wisconsin’s history.

... New borrowing only adds to the debt. As a result state debt reaches an all-time high of $14.7 billion
Shame on Wisconsin's "watch dogs" for not making this front and center thus letting the big lie live.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government