MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Forward momentum, you slackers & hippies!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Forward momentum, you slackers & hippies!

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 am

jeffw wrote:You do realize there are different cab companies in Madison, right?

Yes. I've called Green Cab a couple times and the wait time was ridiculous. Those numbers you quoted were for shared ride, and the last time I took a Badger shared ride, the trip took almost an hour. Also, does anyone know if Green Cab charges per person like Badger. Shared ride is pointless if you have more than one person.

jeffw wrote:but Madison is already ahead of the curve for adopting new tech

Uh...How so?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
jeffw wrote:but Madison is already ahead of the curve for adopting new tech

Uh...How so?

To be fair to jeffw, who registered a few days ago (apparently only to decry ride-sharing services and "pretentious entrepreneurs"), the BusRadar app on Android is amazing and I have never seen anything that rivals it -- particularly when Taxi Magic has been mentioned, and at least in Baltimore, that app is a piece of shit.
timby

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:48 pm

timby wrote:the BusRadar app on Android is amazing and I have never seen anything that rivals it

I agree. I didn't know it was such a unique thing to Madison.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm

An Uber driver harassed a Chicago woman. Why am I not surprised? So much for that background check.

In lawsuit, woman says Uber driver harassed, fondled her
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 4738.story

"A Cook County woman filed suit Wednesday against Uber Technologies Inc. and one of the company’s drivers, alleging that earlier this month, the driver made unwanted advances and fondled her. The lawsuit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court, alleges that a driver who picked her up March 8 began driving the wrong way and, after the plaintiff moved up to the front seat to help navigate, began commenting on her appearance and asking her to go out with him. The driver’s behavior escalated to the point where he “repeatedly fondled (plaintiff’s) legs, groin area and breasts,” according to the lawsuit."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am

Stebben84 wrote:Yes. I've called Green Cab a couple times and the wait time was ridiculous. Those numbers you quoted were for shared ride, and the last time I took a Badger shared ride, the trip took almost an hour. Also, does anyone know if Green Cab charges per person like Badger. Shared ride is pointless if you have more than one person.

Umm, I'm going to guess you didn't mean that last sentence the way it actually reads.

Yes, Green Cab and Badger use the same basic fare system for shared rides, although i think GC has better infrastructure to support it. The point is to make the system more efficient to lower expenses, but present riders with a consistent, predictable cost. You pay x amount to get from y to z. Picking up another passenger en route doesn't directly affect your fare, but means the whole system can service more people in a timely manner without more cars and drivers on the road- saves the company expenses that allows it to run lower rates and lessens traffic in the city. It also provides drivers an incentive to work at busier times like Uber surge pricing does, only without the gouging effect on the rider.

Wait times are a matter of varying supply and demand. Dispatchers are supposed to 'error' on the high side for various reasons, but it is always 'up to' that time and is often much less. The times for long waits mentioned were on the tail end of rush hour which probably means there was a backlog. No guarantees, but then i tried commuting on the metro buses for a month one winter before deciding 8 miles by bike was quicker and more reliable in any weather.
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am

Stebben84 wrote:As was talked about earlier, Uber has an app that lets you keep your credit info on file(ya, ya security issues) and easily book your ride with an app. No Madison taxi company has this.

I have no experience with this so just curious, are the Green Cab apps not easy or something? (if you meant to include the credit thing, yes you have to hand over a card and have it swiped into Square, not sure if that is any more or less of a security issue.)
jeffw

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Shorty wrote:Why am I not surprised? So much for that background check.

From the article:

The lawsuit didn’t specify whether the driver worked for Uber, a black-car livery service that is regulated like a taxi company, or Uber X, which is a ride-share service.

Emphasis mine. I guess no taxi drivers with background checks have ever done anything nefarious.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:07 am

jeffw wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:As was talked about earlier, Uber has an app that lets you keep your credit info on file(ya, ya security issues) and easily book your ride with an app. No Madison taxi company has this.

I have no experience with this so just curious, are the Green Cab apps not easy or something?

Green Cab's Android app was forged in the fires of Mount Doom. It's unusable.
timby

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 am

jeffw wrote:Umm, I'm going to guess you didn't mean that last sentence the way it actually reads.

Ya, that was worded poorly. I took a cab to my sister's house one time and it was about $18. The next time I went, I was with my brother and they charged each of us $18 because we were picked up at the same location. That's what I meant about pointless if you're with another person.

jeffw wrote: No guarantees, but then i tried commuting on the metro buses for a month one winter before deciding 8 miles by bike was quicker and more reliable in any weather.

I totally agree with this statement. I'm a pussy when it comes to cold riding, but now I won't have to rely on public/private transportation as much.

timby wrote:Green Cab's Android app was forged in the fires of Mount Doom. It's unusable.

Dunno if you are being sarcastic, but I just found that they have an app. Is it truly that crappy?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I took a cab to my sister's house one time and it was about $18. The next time I went, I was with my brother and they charged each of us $18 because we were picked up at the same location. That's what I meant about pointless if you're with another person.

So you were charged $36 for the ride? "Shared ride" is when two people that don't know each other are picked up, sometimes from the same place (airport, bus stop), but usually en route. When two or more people know each other, leave from the same place, and agree to split the cab, the fare is the same as a single, plus $1 more for each person taking up a seat.
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 pm

timby wrote:Green Cab's Android app was forged in the fires of Mount Doom. It's unusable.
In that case, i'd expect it to be irresistible. Precious even.

Green Cab's in-house dispatch system (where i think Madison is ahead of other places in adopting the new tech) is written for iOS. The iPhone app is more likely to be usable than the Android one. No personal experience with it, though.
jeffw

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:49 pm

jeffw wrote:When two or more people know each other, leave from the same place, and agree to split the cab, the fare is the same as a single, plus $1 more for each person taking up a seat.

Then I got duped.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Somebody should tell Union Cab Stebben, I used Taxi Magic on Sunday for a ride, and it auto fills Union Cab of Madison as the fleet for rides here.

Green Cab's app was crashing regularly until I removed it from my iPhone and downloaded it again; I am guessing they don't have a built in update function.

My usual ride, downtown Madison to the west side near mall is always 11 or 12 bucks (before tip) no matter the day or time from Green cab, a few bucks more with Union.

The only time I am annoyed by shared ride is when they take routes that aren't efficient like going past my destination twice to pick up two different people, drop those people off then dropping me off.
MarcoPolo

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Shorty wrote:An Uber driver harassed a Chicago woman. Why am I not surprised? So much for that background check.

Not sure what conclusions you want to draw from a bunch of allegations. To me, the telling thing comes from reading articles like that GQ one, seeing how an owner reacts to such incidences. Even after the fact, the only recognized problem is that an internal memo was leaked displaying apathy toward possible victims.

Their operation is obviously about cutting corners wherever they think they can get away with it. Cheap background check services is one way. Reading more articles it becomes clear that using and abusing their driver force is another.

Most of the customers will get slick, sort-of-afforadble rides. A few customers will discover the effects of cutting corners (i'm guessing many more than with established, regulated companies that operate under local management). Many, many drivers will sit around after a year or two watching a lifeless iPhone and wondering how to pay to hold together the disintegrating Prius they are sitting in. A few millionaires in San Fran will make periodic checks of their accounts to see how close they are getting to their primary goal of becoming billionaires...
jeffw

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

MarcoPolo wrote:I used Taxi Magic on Sunday for a ride, and it auto fills Union Cab of Madison as the fleet for rides here.

So I'm confused. I checked out Magic Taxi online and they don't list Madison as a city. When I went to book a cab, it said I have to call Union cab.

I downloaded the app and it seemed to work fine. Thanks for the heads up on this service. I'll have to see if Green Cab's app is any good. I'm pretty much done with Badger.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government