MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sue Ellingson resigns

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Sue Ellingson resigns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Dman: the owners of the Isthmus forum have the right to free speech (that cannot be abridged by the government) as to what they publish. But contributors to the forum (that's you and me, bub) have no such right on this forum.

If you start your own forum (call it guns, guns and more guns) then the government cannot stop you from saying what you want on that forum.

If you can't understand that, then you are either extremely disingenuous or extremely obtuse.

Oh, so the government can shut you and I up on here?

First you claim that the Freedom of Speech allows you to post what you want on this forum, now you come up with this shit. Your interpretation of the Constitution, whether the First or Second Amendment, is based on delusion and paranoia.

The old "delusion and paranoia" line again? Glad you have that figured out. Now why don't you explain the etiology of your peculiar sort of luncacy?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Dangerousman wrote:So the question of what gives the right to derail a topic should have been directed to the person who did so.

Once more, with feeling:

Dangerousman wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Which amendment includes the right to derail topics?

What is the First Amendment? I'll take Quotable Quotes for a 1000.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:40 pm

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:So the question of what gives the right to derail a topic should have been directed to the person who did so.

Once more, with feeling:

Dangerousman wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Which amendment includes the right to derail topics?

What is the First Amendment? I'll take Quotable Quotes for a 1000.

I can speak on any topic I want, here or anywhere. So, up yours if you don't like it.

If you have an issue about the First Amendment, you ought to ask Henry why he thinks the First Amendment does not apply to the Isthmus Forum. Where is that tap dancing music again, Hank?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Johnny One Note thinks the First Amendment applies to a privately owned Internet forum. Tell that to Meade.

Once again, with feeling.

Johnny One Note thinks the First Amendment applies to a privately owned Internet forum. Tell that to Meade.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I can speak on any topic I want, here or anywhere. So, up yours if you don't like it.

Well, you can't, actually.

Dangerousman wrote:

Once again, with feeling.

In the sense that the First Amendment would protect you or any other poster here from censorship by Isthmus, which was the issue at hand, it doesn't. It gives you a right to be protected from government censorship, but it doesn't give you a right to be protected from censorship by those providing the megaphone. Hank's statement was poorly worded, but the rest of us understood what he was talking about. That you either don't understand that or don't want to admit it means you're being either dense or disingenuous.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Hank's statement was "poorly worded?" That's a nice euphemistic way of say "false."

That'll give me a smile for some time to come.

At this point you're just outright hypocritical. You whine about a thread being hijacked and look how much space you're using up, NOT talking about that douchebag, Sue Ellingson.

There, we're back on topic after jonny hijacked it.

Happy?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Hank's statement was "poorly worded?" That's a nice euphemistic way of say "false."

No, within the context of the conversation, it was poorly worded.

Dangerousman wrote:At this point you're just outright hypocritical. You whine about a thread being hijacked

I did? When?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Bump for DMan, who must have missed this post the first time around:

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Johnny One Note thinks the First Amendment applies to a privately owned Internet forum. Tell that to Meade.

The First Amendment applies only to state-owned media? That's news to me, and probably everyone else in the world.

Then you must make up your entire world. You couldn't be more wrong. It only applies to government restrictions on speech.

Now tell me again how the First Amendment protects you in derailing a post on a privately owned website.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:57 pm

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I can speak on any topic I want, here or anywhere. So, up yours if you don't like it.

Well, you can't, actually.

In the sense that the First Amendment would protect you or any other poster here from censorship by Isthmus, which was the issue at hand, it doesn't. It gives you a right to be protected from government censorship, but it doesn't give you a right to be protected from censorship by those providing the megaphone. Hank's statement was poorly worded, but the rest of us understood what he was talking about. That you either don't understand that or don't want to admit it means you're being either dense or disingenuous.
(bold is mine) He's had a lot of practice pretending he understands the 2nd amendment.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Erik Paulson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I wonder who Soglin will appoint as our interim alderperson?

No one. Soglin doesn't have a role in the process, it's the Council's decision.

Tradition is a former Alder or County Supervisor who pledges not to run for the seat in the future.
Erik Paulson

Postby Detritus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Erik Paulson wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I wonder who Soglin will appoint as our interim alderperson?

No one. Soglin doesn't have a role in the process, it's the Council's decision.

Tradition is a former Alder or County Supervisor who pledges not to run for the seat in the future.

Well, that's probably the only way Blaska would ever get on the Council.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Bruer? Kerr?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Erik Paulson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Bruer? Kerr?

They have to live in the district, which rules Bruer out. Kerr has said no. I think Isadore Knox has been redistricted out, and Matt Sloan has moved out of town.

There are some other options (some folks have been redistricted into the district), and it's not like they _have_ to appoint a former Alder if none of them would like to serve. It's just helpful to have someone who doesn't have as steep a learning curve.
Erik Paulson

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:14 am

Erik Paulson wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Bruer? Kerr?

They have to live in the district, which rules Bruer out. Kerr has said no. I think Isadore Knox has been redistricted out, and Matt Sloan has moved out of town.

There are some other options (some folks have been redistricted into the district), and it's not like they _have_ to appoint a former Alder if none of them would like to serve. It's just helpful to have someone who doesn't have as steep a learning curve.

In that case, Chris Rickert would be a good choice, since he already knows everything.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:10 am

Many have applied for the position to fill Ellingson's seat. I hope the Council appoints someone who knows the system and doesn't have a long learning curve. Former alder Ken Golden and County Supervisor Kyle Richmond (who represents the same part of Madison on the Dane County Board) seem most qualified. I see Tom Farley (brother of dead comic Chris) also wants to be appointed. He is quite the political gadfly. A perennial candidate for public office (always losing badly), he was once a Republican, now says he is a Democrat. And he doesn't even live in the 13th District.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government