MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

WICPA and Our Legislature

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

WICPA and Our Legislature

Postby HawkHead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:37 pm

I just got a Legislative Update from the WICPA.

It appears once again our Republican lead government is a bunch of idiots.

Wisconsin Act 114 (2013) was signed in October which eliminated all educational requirements to take a Wisconsin licensing exam. The WICPA lobbied to change the requirement at least for CPAs at the time but were ignored.

With the law change both the AIPCA and the NASBA stated it would be a strong possibility that no CPA exams would be given again in Wisconsin.

Luckily a new bill was introduced to correct the problem before exams were pulled. But to get the bill to pass the educational hours was lowered from 150 to 120 to take the exam. That bill was signed today.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WICPA and Our Legislature

Postby minicat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:45 pm

C'mon, licensing requirements are clearly restricting licensees' freedom to be ignorant.

FREEDOM!
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Shit. CPA was one of the few remaining professional designations in the financial field that actually meant something. EA is another but that's all I can come up with.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:Shit. CPA was one of the few remaining professional designations in the financial field that actually meant something. EA is another but that's all I can come up with.

Pretty sad when the state's association is lobbying for better criteria and applicants and the state legislature ignores them.

It took the threat of the AIPCA and testing board to make Wisconsin change its position. A position that was weaker than the original position.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish. You'd think having competent accountants would be a good thing even if you're a one percenter.

It's destruction for the sake of destruction by now.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 am

From the Wisconsin Hospital Association:

Wisconsin 2013 Act 114 Allows Nursing Students to Test Before Graduation

Under a bill supported by WHA and signed into law December 19, 2013 by Governor Scott Walker, nursing students, with the written approval of their school, will be allowed to take their licensure exam before graduation. While graduation will still be a requirement for licensure, individuals that choose this early testing option will be licensed more quickly.

Employers often prefer to employ new nurses that have already taken and passed the licensure exam and are fully licensed. Traditionally, nursing students have not been able to apply to take the NCLEX (licensure exam) until completion of their educational program and certification by their educational program. For those students ready and wanting to work as a registered nurse, this may lead to weeks of delay before beginning their career and earning a salary.

Nursing programs will be able to set policy about how long before graduation and to which students approval will be given. This bill creates an opportunity for new nurses to more quickly move into professional employment.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am

From what I've heard the CPA exam is extremely difficult. It's not like you can just waltz in and become a CPA without really knowing your stuff.

Given that*, what is the purpose of the educational requirement in the first place? Does it penalize someone who went out and learned it on their own? Maybe they could not afford formal schooling. How much does it cost on average to fulfill the educational requirement and when was the last time that requirement was evaluated? Who sets the requirement?

People learn in vastly different ways now compared to 20 years ago. Sno are you self taught?

*Any CPAs here? Please chime in.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 am

What are you asking about? I don't know anything about accounting. That's why I know what to do when I need help: start by looking for the best credentials.

A strong credentialing requirement standardizes things. If everybody was self taught and applied for credentials by sending $10 to some internet page, the whole idea of generally accepted accounting principles would go straight out the window. Accounting is an example of one area where you definitely need across the board standards. Otherwise there's no way to compare, say, various investment possibilities or business proposals apples-to-apples.

Our resident CPA can say a lot more on this than I can.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 am

Unless I'm misreading things, the standards for becoming a CPA aren't changing, just the amount of education required prior to taking the exams are changing. You would still need to know the same things and pass the same exams.

Maybe Hawkhead can clarify that a bit.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 pm

bdog wrote:From what I've heard the CPA exam is extremely difficult. It's not like you can just waltz in and become a CPA without really knowing your stuff.

Given that*, what is the purpose of the educational requirement in the first place? Does it penalize someone who went out and learned it on their own? Maybe they could not afford formal schooling. How much does it cost on average to fulfill the educational requirement and when was the last time that requirement was evaluated? Who sets the requirement?

People learn in vastly different ways now compared to 20 years ago. Sno are you self taught?

*Any CPAs here? Please chime in.

The purpose of the educational requirement is two fold. First, to make sure that qualified students take the test. Second, to keep unqualified "anybodies" from taking up spots and resources for a test they won't pass or won't use in a professional manner.

The real reasoning behind the bill wasn't to go after CPAs. After all, we don't have unions. It was to go after electricians and plumbers. Get rid of the apprentices and you get rid of the unions. At least that is the reasoning I think they (the Legislature) applied.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government