MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, March 2, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What happened to the wisconsinite?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Which newspaper has the least chutzpah?

State Urinal
50%
Crap Times
25%
mIsthmusch
25%

Total votes : 12

What happened to the wisconsinite?

Postby 1848 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm so disgusted with the so-called "alternative" and "progressive" newspapers here in Madison. More like "status quo" and "establishment." We need journalists who cover all angles, instead of making nicey nice with their play-it-safe buddies in local office.
Forum Addict

Postby regnad_kcin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:20 pm

oh, but we traded the Wisconsinite for that incredibly dense, brainy "Core." Surely my IQ has gone up since it debuted.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 1848 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:04 pm

yeah, I didn't include "Core" because it doesn't even qualify as a newspaper . . .
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:26 am

worker's vanguard is where it's at

if only i could find someone selling newspapers at a rally

:lol:
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby el guante » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:57 am

for the 87th time, read the madison observer, an independent community/campus paper explicitly devoted to social justice causes. we've been around for a year and a half now on campus, and in the community for a bit less than half that.

5,000 copies available on campus, willy street and state street (and a few other spots on regent, park and elsewhere).

also online at www.madisonobserver.org.

recent articles:
--the progressive cases for voting kerry or cobb or nader
--why coreweekly is garbage (not the actual headline, but i wish it were)
--madison warming center stuff-- why this city needs a better shelter system
--a large feature on diversity/campus climate at UW and in madison as a whole.
--why terror cannot end terrorism
--environmental racism
--good spots to get organic or vegetarian hamburgers
--the racist dress codes at brothers and johnny o's
--the need for an independent media
--why voting isn't enough
--the state of the abortion-rights movement
--4-6 solid music reviews in each issue with a LARGE emphasis on hip hop and local music
--media misrepresentation of people-of-color
--the list could go on and on...

check it out.
el guante
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:36 pm

el guante wrote:--environmental racism
--the racist dress codes at brothers and johnny o's

Since I don't have ready access to an Observer I must ask:

What is environmental racism?

and

What parts of the dress codes at Brothers and Johnny O's is rascist? What about the Kimia Lounge?

Fascinating.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby True Blue » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:51 pm

Every time I've seen the Wisconsinite, I've been surprised at the level of careless inaccuracies. Maybe I'm "establishment" now.
True Blue
Forum God/Goddess

Postby el guante » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:28 pm

supa--

1. environmental racism is kind of a broad term, but it includes things like high toxicity levels in the soil of black neighborhoods, corporations polluting black neighborhoods without government reprimand, lead paint levels, air quality, all that kind of stuff. here's a definition i found that may be a bit more clear:

"Racial discrimination in environmental policy-making, enforcement of regulations and laws, and targeting of communities of color for toxic waste disposal and siting of polluting industries," according to Reverend Benjamin E. Chavis, Jr., Ex-Chairman of the NAACP.

2. the dress codes thing can be debated-- i think it WAS debated on the daily page a while back. our article was basically an op-ed claiming that the dress codes at brothers and johnny o's target black folks by restricting doo-rags, jerseys, cutoffs, tracksuits, hats not perfectly straight, etc... maybe at first glance, this isn't so bad to some people, but a lot of patrons have reported unequal enforcement of these policies and i guess one of the owners or managers explicitly stated that they're trying to keep "a certain element out."

kimia i think is different because they just require "nice" clothes. if they want a classy atmosphere, fine. but at the other spots, you can go in wearing sweatpants and a dirty t-shirt, as long as you're not wearing clothes that violate their obviously racialized dress codes.

the dress codes issue really may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but the most important aspect of it is that it's a visible symptom of a bigger problem-- madison isn't as progressive as it thinks that it is, especially when it comes to race issues. it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
el guante
Forum Addict

Postby 1848 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:09 pm

yo people - the question was not, "which newspaper sucks the most," it was, "which newspaper has the least chutzpah?"

as far as i'm concerned, the urinal has plenty of chutzpah: they made a series of bipartisan endorsements. it's the other papers that follow the party line . . .
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:01 pm

CHUTZPAH?
The WI State Journal got my most hootspaw vote for the same reasons as 1848 stated. The Cap Times had the least.

The Glove,
Dress codes suck. They're classist, exclusionary, and sometimes racist. Even worse when they're selectively implemented.
I doubt Rosa Parks would want to hang out at Brothers. That place sucks.
Help me out - Is a track suit usually made of a shinier material than a cottonish sweat suit?
Dress codes in Wisconsin are like tits on a bull.
-Supa
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government