MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Flu going around

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Flu going around

Postby Shorty » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I heard there is a flu outbreak going on. I had a 101 fever Thursday and then stomach problems started. Can't eat much. Anyone else here got it?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Flu going around

Postby fennel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Yep. It's Kathleen Turner. She moved in across the street.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 am

Doubtful it will hit here. I had my yearly flu shot a week or so into November.

Last year the shot gave me flu-like symptoms for a day: first time ever. Must have been a new strain they had in the mix.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Shorty wrote:I heard there is a flu outbreak going on. I had a 101 fever Thursday and then stomach problems started. Can't eat much. Anyone else here got it?

Sounds like a stomach virus. People commonly refer to it as flu but it may not be the influenza that people get shots for.

If I'm right, you'll start feeling better in a day or so, at least with the stomach upset.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm

You may be right, my stomach is settling down.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:43 pm

I can't remember the last time I had the flu. Some years I have had the shot, other years I have not. We do however usually get some flavor of Norovirus at least twice a year. I did not know Norovirus is just a new name for the Norwalk virus.

"The norovirus was originally named the "Norwalk agent" after Norwalk, Ohio, in the United States, where an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis occurred among children at Bronson Elementary School in November 1968. In 1972, electron microscopy on stored human stool samples identified a virus, which was given the name "Norwalk virus." Numerous outbreaks with similar symptoms have been reported since. The cloning and sequencing of the Norwalk virus genome showed these viruses have a genomic organization consistent with viruses belonging to the family Caliciviridae.[49] The name was shortened to "norovirus" after being identified in a number of outbreaks on cruise ships and receiving attention throughout the United States. The name "norovirus" (Norovirus for the genus) was approved by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses in 2002.[50]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

Hope you feel better and drink lots of water.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm

I haven't had the flu since I've been a kid. I never get the shot and I probably won't until I get up there in years. Maybe not even then, but we'll have to see. People get the flu shot like they wash their hands with sanitizer. It's great for the short term, but you're killing your own bodies immune systems. Let nature take it's course. I never use sanitizer or any anti-bacterial stuff. I rarely get sick and generally feel good. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I agree with that. I'm as old as dirt and in excellent health, I had the flu once sometime in the 70s, and I have no reason to rock the boat by letting people shoot me up with stuff to mess with my immune system. Quite possibly I'm already doing something that works better for me.

I feel bad for people who work where they're required to get the shots. Mandatory medical treatment seems really wrong to me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm

People get the flu shot like they wash their hands with sanitizer. It's great for the short term, but you're killing your own bodies immune systems.

Used to never get them for that reason. However when I started getting the flu every time one was going around, I decided to give the shot a chance. Works for me, and have only skipped a few winters in the past 20 years or so.

The seasons I skipped I did invariably get the flu, so I have to look at it as the shot is easier on me than the flu.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Stebben84 wrote:People get the flu shot like they wash their hands with sanitizer. It's great for the short term, but you're killing your own bodies immune systems. Let nature take it's course.

Not being combative here, just wondering, what makes flu vaccination different from vaccinations for tetanus, measles, etc.? When it comes to polio, I'd rather not let nature take its course. I'm obsessive about always getting a flu shot (among other things). People die from flu.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:People die from flu.

Tens of thousands every year in the U.S. alone.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

I've got a past history of asthma so I take care of myself.I've been getting the shot for many years. I think the last time I did not get one was way back when the Russian flu was going around. Both my husband and I got that at the same time.

My husband suffered and took longer to wise up. He would go through the routine of getting sick, real sick, spending money at urgent care, and more money for medicine, and money lost missing work. He finally realized maybe a shot wasn't so bad after all.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Not being combative here, just wondering, what makes flu vaccination different from vaccinations for tetanus, measles, etc.?

For me it is the fact I must get immunized annually versus whenever it was the last time I got a polio booster.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 am

Many of the formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine contain Thimerisol.
"Thimerosal, a widely used vaccine preservative that metabolizes to ethylmercury, contains close to 50% mercury by volume—and mercury is a well-known neurotoxin. Based on the amount of mercury in a standard flu shot, you have to weigh over 265 pounds in order for this exposure to mercury to be safe according to EPA guidelines."
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... rcury.aspx
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 am

Stebben84 wrote:It's great for the short term, but you're killing your own bodies immune systems.

Absolute, 100% pure, unadulterated horseshit. Also the sort of claim that really demands a link (to some some source other than the sort of quackery Dairylander references below).

Dairylander wrote:Many of the formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine contain Thimerisol.
"Thimerosal, a widely used vaccine preservative that metabolizes to ethylmercury, contains close to 50% mercury by volume—and mercury is a well-known neurotoxin. Based on the amount of mercury in a standard flu shot, you have to weigh over 265 pounds in order for this exposure to mercury to be safe according to EPA guidelines."
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... rcury.aspx

I can't believe you would post both those links back to back as though they're comparable in merit.

Do some vaccines contain thimerosal? Yes. Can you get a flu shot that doesn't if you're worried about it (despite that there's no scientific evidence whatsoever that thimerosal poses a health risk)? Yes. Just ask around if you're concerned.

Before anyone takes anything from Dairylander's second link to heart, you might want to read this about the snake oil salesman behind that site:

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

Joseph Mercola, D.O., who practices in Schaumburg, Illinois, also operates one of the Internet's largest and most trafficked health information sites. Mercola states that his site has over 300,000 pages and is visited by "millions of people each day" and that his electronic newsletter has close 1,500,000 subscribers [1]. The site vigorously promotes and sells dietary supplements, many of —which bear his name.

[ ... ]

Many of Mercola's articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations. For example, he opposes immunization and fluoridation, and mammography; claims that amalgam fillings are toxic; and makes many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements. Mercola's reach has been greatly boosted by repeated promotion on the "Dr. Oz Show."

Then again, Dairylander is the guy who's afraid a water meter upgrade is going to leave him drooling and incomprehensible (er ... more so), so why anyone would take anything he posts seriously is beyond me.

Get a flu shot or not, folks, I don't give a shit. But if you're paranoid, suspicious or just generally ill-informed on matters of chemistry and biology, try not to be a disingenuous prick about the issue and keep your yap shut. Perpetuating these myths just gives ammunition to stupid parents who then decide to shun really critical vaccines for diseases like measles, mumps, tetanus, etc. Wanna witness something really horrible? Watch a child who had no say in his health care die from one of those fuckers.

p.s. That hack Dr. Oz should do the world a favor, swallow a fistful of bird shot, crawl into an MRI machine and flip the fuckin' switch. Worst "gift" Oprah ever gave her audience, y'ask me.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe