MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Got brush?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Got brush?

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 am

I know I do. Branches that snapped off in the first snow storm along with my Christmas tree continue to sit on my boulevard. Same goes for houses up and down my block.

The cityofmadison.com/streets website is of no help. It seems like it hasn't been updated since fall (brush pickup is underway until mid-October, it says).

I live in a wooded neighborhood, so I would have thought we'd be targeted for the early rounds, but I guess not. Anybody else sitting on some branches?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Got brush?

Postby Detritus » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 am

jjoyce wrote:I know I do. Branches that snapped off in the first snow storm along with my Christmas tree continue to sit on my boulevard. Same goes for houses up and down my block.

The cityofmadison.com/streets website is of no help. It seems like it hasn't been updated since fall (brush pickup is underway until mid-October, it says).

I live in a wooded neighborhood, so I would have thought we'd be targeted for the early rounds, but I guess not. Anybody else sitting on some branches?

They just got around to plowing my street, so I don't know what you're complaining about.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 am

Yup, pretty much likewise (on the brush, not the plowing). I'm on a pretty tree-heavy street and me and my neighbors have enough brush to make like 1.5 houses - no city pickup yet, and it's mostly been sitting around, waiting, for about 3 weeks.

The neglect definitely stings.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 am

I was very surprised to see the brush on my street disappear from the curb last week. We don't usually get such top-notch treatment in my 'hood, although the guys who collected it did leave a heckuva lot of debris behind, which was kind of a pain when it came time to mow yesterday.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 06, 2013 10:47 am

The city used to have a regular schedule for yard waste (leaves) and for brush collection. Now they get to it when they get to it.

I took some bagged leaves to one of the city's drop off-sites last week and I noticed that a lot of people were also bringing in their brush.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toonces » Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:We don't usually get such top-notch treatment in my 'hood, although the guys who collected it did leave a heckuva lot of debris behind, which was kind of a pain when it came time to mow yesterday.

Same here. Being on a dead end street we usually get neglected but they were making the rounds in our 'hood this morning. They use a different system now that results in all of the debris. A jeep with a front-end attachment plows the brush to a location where the big truck can pick it up. The attachment looks like a hockey net with bristles at the bottom. The upside for us folks without a terrace is that they do not take a chunk of our lawn along with the brush pile. I guess I'd rather see all the debris than a dirt hole where my lawn used to be.
Toonces
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe