MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Let's Rally for a Brooks Brothers in Hilldale!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

What you support having a Brooks Brothers in Hilldale?

Yes!
40%
Other (comment below)
60%

Total votes : 10

Postby dime » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 am

Gee'up, Chester! We're off to the rally! There are sack suits to be had!
dime
Forum Addict

Inclusionary Zoning

Postby universitylad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:35 am

The condos and parking garage really seem to be going up fast. I hope the condos are high quality construction with lots of soundproofing.

How poor does one have to be to become eligible for an inclusionary zoning unit?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Inclusionary Zoning

Postby Paco » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:39 am

universitylad wrote:The condos and parking garage really seem to be going up fast. I hope the condos are high quality construction with lots of soundproofing.

How poor does one have to be to become eligible for an inclusionary zoning unit?

not poor at all, more than you think. I think it's about $42,000/yr for a single person qualifies.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:43 am

Paco wrote:
universitylad wrote:The condos and parking garage really seem to be going up fast. I hope the condos are high quality construction with lots of soundproofing.

not poor at all, more than you think. I think it's about $42,000/yr for a single person qualifies.

What happens if an IZ owner wants to sell? Does he have to find another poor person to sell it to?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:12 am

universitylad wrote:What happens if an IZ owner wants to sell? Does he have to find another poor person to sell it to?

Good question.
a) I doubt you'd have to find a poor buyer to buy it, but I'm no expert on IZ in Madison. Someone in the know would give a more accurate answer.

b) I wouldn't consider $42,000/year for a single person poor.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:57 am

Resale Records.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:10 am

Ammunation
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:16 am

Join me at noon on September 31st when we will be rallying in support of progressive vertical stripes. Show those status quo-loving horizontal stripers whats good for 'em!
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Chocolate Shoppe was kicked out last week in favor of Ben and Jerry's. Of course B&J are more PC but too bad for the local guys.
Here's the story.
http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 0:BUSINESS
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dirty Dusty Rhoads » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:36 pm

How about a rusty Blue Bell truck parked out front?
Dirty Dusty Rhoads
Forum Addict

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:28 pm

I will be happy if any part of Hilldale is halfway accessible to pedestrians and bikes when all is said and done. I went to a public Q&A session with the architects, and asked them specifically about this. The broad answer they gave me suggested that they had not thought about the issue.

Right now, there are a lot of people who walk to Hilldale, including old folks who might not be able / willing to drive a car. Despite its outwardly suburban appearances, it is a pedestrian neighborhood. The mall, though far from perfect, was fairly accessible.

Let's see if the new mall makes any accommodations for pedestrians, especially those who are not particularly mobile, such as old folks, disabled, parents with small kids, etc. If I have to get into my car, then there are places I can reach within a couple minutes with better prices than Hilldale will ever have. The whole point is, I don't want to get into my car.

In terms of shops, Sentry is fine, and anything but Target is too rich for my blood. It would be nice if I did not have to gain 75 pounds to fit into any of the sizes of clothes available at Marshall Fields.

Naturally, a live music venue, and any sort of interesting or colorful hangouts would be welcome.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:55 am

"In terms of shops, Sentry is fine, and anything but Target is too rich for my blood. "

you won't be shopping at the freedian hilldale then. just the mere suggestion of a "colorful hangout" is enough to make joe freed twitch like a ballerina set ablaze.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:39 pm

I'm writing this from the Freedian suburbia of N.W. Chicagoland, visiting friends. Keep giving Freed your input. But give 'em his chance too. My shopping experience at his revamped malls has been great. Hey, I couldn't find a shirt that fit me on State St. and found a great sale at Field's. The pedestrian walk, down the back way of Hilldale, off of Sawyer Terrace is nice. If I take the bus over that way, I run into seniors and middle agers coming and going back there all the time. The walk on the University Av. side or Heathercrest is very pleasant also. It's that damn intersection of University and Midvale that's the big pain. I wish we could make it less scary for all. A beautiful overpass would be great!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:52 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Naturally, a live music venue, and any sort of interesting or colorful hangouts would be welcome.

Bwahahaa! That's fucking hilarious. Live music at...(giggle) Hilldale!!

What, doesn't "Quizno's Summer Concert Series" bring in all the big names already?

(I SHIT YOU NOT, they have live music at the Hilldale Quizno's!)
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:08 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm writing this from the Freedian suburbia of N.W. Chicagoland, visiting friends. Keep giving Freed your input. But give 'em his chance too. My shopping experience at his revamped malls has been great. Hey, I couldn't find a shirt that fit me on State St. and found a great sale at Field's. The pedestrian walk, down the back way of Hilldale, off of Sawyer Terrace is nice. If I take the bus over that way, I run into seniors and middle agers coming and going back there all the time. The walk on the University Av. side or Heathercrest is very pleasant also. It's that damn intersection of University and Midvale that's the big pain. I wish we could make it less scary for all. A beautiful overpass would be great!

That's what I am talking about. The question is whether Freed will preserve that aspect of the mall, or if they even understand what a pedestrian neighborhood is all about.

There is a pent up demand for entertainment in that 'hood, even if it is not for the hippest kinds of music. The City Band concerts are always packed.

What I really want is a west side branch of the Double Bass Workshop ;)
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe