MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Local Airline Service

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Favorite Airline operating out of Dane Co International Airport (MSN)

Midwest Express
36%
Northwest
27%
American
No votes
United
27%
Continental
No votes
other
9%

Total votes : 11

Local Airline Service

Postby lunatic fringe » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:43 am

Flying out of Dane Co Airport could not be finer. We have the sweetest airport in the country. It just doesn't get any easier than that. However, some airlines are better than others and I'd like to hear others opinions on which you prefer.

I fly mostly Northwest and am satified. They just got a bunch of brand new planes which is nice. You can really tell the difference especially during takeoff/landing. Food sucks, but who eats fly food these days anyway? I like Northwest mostly because I hate connecting in O'Hare, and would prefer to connect in Minne, although wintertime can be somewhat of a drag.

I have never had a good experience with American. Or AWA.

I've wish I had the opportunity to fly Midwest Express out of Dane so I'm curious what they're like.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kid_Notorious » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:22 am

We just got back from Vegas, flew Madison thru Midway on ATA. (did u mean ATA and not AWA?) We had no problems other than the dinky prop plane to Chi. but that's what u get in Madison mostly. Didn't like my experience at Midway, they stuffed us on a bus and drove us to the plane. I agree Madison airport is great, never had any trouble there b4, but this time there was no signage for our flight, no one at the gate 'til past boarding time. And what is with the area where u walk out to the plane? It's been under construction for years. Midwest costs more and don't go a lot of places, but they have "two across" leather seats, good food, Free champagne and fresh baked on the plane chocolate chip cookies!!! and you got real silverware. Of course that was before the middleastern assholes flew into the twin towers and destroyed our lives as we knew them!!!!
Kid_Notorious

Postby burstingsun » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:09 am

I've usually flown in and out of O'hare leaving me the choice of United or American. United flies nicer, larger planes than American for this trip. However, if the flight isn't full enough from Chicago, it often gets cancelled, sticking passengers on a later flight. Also, both airlines have a habit of changing flight times by up to an hour, which can be a real inconvenience when dealing with connections.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lunatic fringe » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:42 am

Kid_Notorious wrote:We just got back from Vegas, flew Madison thru Midway on ATA. (did u mean ATA and not AWA?). We had no problems other than the dinky prop plane to Chi. but that's what u get in Madison mostly. ...
Yea, I meant ATA. Northwest flies jet planes to Minne and Detroit from Dane Co.....another reason I like them over the other airlines....I really hate those prop planes.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:25 pm

I rarely fly out of Dane Co airport for two reasons:

1) It's a pain in the ass to get there is you don't want to drive and park. Buses don't run weekends or after 8 pm. WTF? While I have nothing against cabs, it costs about the same to take the bus to O'Hare as to cab it to Dane Co.

2) Connecting flights get cancelled or delayed all the time. When you are at O'Hare (or Milw), you can jump on a bus to get home.

Until Dane Co gets decent transit service, it won't be a real airport. Two buses from downtown? I don't think so!
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kid_Notorious » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:40 pm

Dude you need to get your friends or family to take you to the airport!!!! it's no big deal... you can do them a favor later.
Kid_Notorious

Postby lunatic fringe » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:14 pm

roadkill bill wrote:I rarely fly out of Dane Co airport for two reasons:

1) It's a pain in the ass to get there is you don't want to drive and park. Buses don't run weekends or after 8 pm. WTF? While I have nothing against cabs, it costs about the same to take the bus to O'Hare as to cab it to Dane Co.

2) Connecting flights get cancelled or delayed all the time. When you are at O'Hare (or Milw), you can jump on a bus to get home.

Until Dane Co gets decent transit service, it won't be a real airport. Two buses from downtown? I don't think so!

A cab ride costs $8+tip and lasts 15 minutes. I'll bet (but I'm not sure) a few of the hoitytoity hotels downtown run shuttles for a nominal cost. A Van Gelder to/from O'hare costs $18 and lasts 5 fucking hours IF you use the Dutch Mill dropoff....you'll have to wait another 45 minutes if you want to get downtown. Time is money....there is NO WAY I'll ride a bus for that long.

Parking at the airport is the cheapest I've ever seen.

Many flights to MSN connect in O'Hare anyway. If you get stuck there...you still can hop on the Van Guilder. I don't know of many flights out of MSN after 8pm...do you? I'm sure there are some....just not very many.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:41 pm

The last time I took a cab from the airport, it cost me $17 + tip.

I often fly INTO the airport after 8 PM or on weekends - no transit service (and even then you have to go through the transfer point to get there.)

Van Gelder takes 3 - 3.5 hours from Memorial Union and drops me at the door in O'Hare. Badger to Milw is even faster. It would take me that long to get to Dane Co, submit to a cavity search, board airplane, fly to Chgo, change gates (maybe another security probe), wait for next plane, board and take off.

Many friends do not have cars or are working when I am trying to leave town or come back.

The last time I flew out of Dane Co I missed a wedding rehersal dinner because our connecting flight to Chgo (where we were to pick up a direct fight) was delayed by FOUR HOURS. Of course, we missed the connecting flight and arrived three hours after the dinner started.

The trip before that, I was delayed coming back to Madison from Chgo for ... wait for it.... FOUR HOURS. They couldn't get my luggage (was bring back large items), so I couldn't grab the bus.

No transit nights and weekends and flights constantly delayed - no thanks.

Easy bus service to Chgo and Milw airports - yes, please.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:07 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:I'll bet (but I'm not sure) a few of the hoitytoity hotels downtown run shuttles for a nominal cost.

Gratuitous service for guests of the hotel. And the bellmen might let a non-guest slip on if they're already headed that way (and have a little green to offer :) ), but I believe that in my employer's case they absolutely CANNOT for insurance reasons.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby wmd_4_me » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:15 am

I fly to california and DC a few times a year at least and I've always used northwest. Awesome service and they've always been on time or early.

food is ok, but again... who eats? they always give you something to drink no matter what, even on those short hops from here to detroit.

speaking of detroit; now there's a cool airport... all northwest.

I flew midwest a few years ago and they were realy good too but i don't remember much.
wmd_4_me
Forum Addict

Postby lunatic fringe » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:21 am

wmd_4_me wrote:I fly to california and DC a few times a year at least and I've always used northwest. Awesome service and they've always been on time or early.

food is ok, but again... who eats? they always give you something to drink no matter what, even on those short hops from here to detroit.

speaking of detroit; now there's a cool airport... all northwest.

I flew midwest a few years ago and they were realy good too but i don't remember much.

Detroit IS a VERY COOL airport. My kids love it. Minneapolis/St. Paul is also becoming just as cool.

Worst airports I've been to: Midway & Cinncinati
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe