MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

How do you commute?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

How do you get to work?

Drive
46%
Carpool
11%
Walk/Run
14%
Bike
17%
Bus
9%
Telecommute
3%
"I don't work"
No votes

Total votes : 35

How do you commute?

Postby suburban_moron » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:34 pm

I biked into work today...brrrrr! The bike path was deserted, but traffic looked no worse than ususal.

Got me to thinking, does the weather affect your choice of transportation?

I think the forum is a pretty good cross section of people in Madison, so what better way to find out than an informal forum poll....after all polls drive what happens in this country right? :wink:
suburban_moron
Forum Addict

Postby Eastsider » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:47 pm

Bike in when its warm. Walk when it's cold. Biked this morning and the wind kicked my ass. I'm going to have to switch over to walking.
Eastsider
Forum Addict

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:18 pm

I bike to campus year round, eight inches of snow or not.

Walking is a waste of time.
Driving is expensive.
Riding the bus is inconvenient.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:24 am

bike: when lows are above 25 and no wind, 30 and wind. I don't do it in rain or cold because I don't like being miserable.
bus: when I'm lazy or there's >3inches of snow snowing.
walk: on cold days where i can't ride my bike and I want to walk, or I skip the gym. A good 5.3mile/1hr20min walk is probably the best exercise.
drive: other times, and I feel guilty about it. I wouldn't do it if I drove in normal hrs, but I leave between 5:15 and 5:45 so it takes about 10 minutes(1 red light) and I can park for free half-dozen blocks from my gym/job.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kid_Notorious » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:14 pm

When it's cold and snowy I drive my four wheel drive, On days 60 degrees or colder i will take the convertable with the top up, and on nice days I love to put the top down. I drive everywhere even if it's just down the street and back, because I can.
Kid_Notorious

Postby roadkill bill » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:14 pm

Bike: Almost every day. My commute is mostly main streets, so it gets plowed, salted, and sanded. Use the main travel lanes if bike lanes aren't snow/ice free. When the wind chill starts to approach 0 I start to look at the bus. Rain I will ride about half the time (head to toe in Gore-tex.) I hate not having my bike at work to run errands or get home after social activities.

Bus: When it is very cold, snow/ice is in streets, the day is just shitty rain, or I'm being lazy. I am close to several bus lines, so it's not too inconvenient.

Drive
: Only when absolutely necessary. Need to go somewhere far for work, leaving for out of town from work, need to carry large items.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:15 pm

what about brooms, skateboards, rollerblades, aeroplanes, horses, camels, boats, llamas, el trains, helicopters, scooters, mopeds, motorcycles or small submarines &c.?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:53 pm

Two big ass SUVs in our family 8)
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:35 pm

I generally take the barouche.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:59 pm

gozer wrote:what about brooms, skateboards, rollerblades, aeroplanes, horses, camels, boats, llamas, el trains, helicopters, scooters, mopeds, motorcycles or small submarines &c.?

The sidewalks are a bit too fucked up downtown for skateboard-commuting. I don't think I could maintain the necessary level of attention every morning. I'd be bloody by the time I made it to work...

And rollerbladers, watch out: I gots a New York Chain. That's a 3.3ft reach, you know what I'm sayin'? Best get your ass out the bike lane if you know what's good for ya.

Punk.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dime » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:54 pm

Kid_Notorious wrote:I drive everywhere even if it's just down the street and back, because I can.

Or maybe it's because you have to. Usually I drive, too. But if I can't or don't want to take a car, I can get to work on my bike or by bus. More people should at least have that option.
dime
Forum Addict

Postby suburban_moron » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:08 pm

gozer wrote:what about brooms, skateboards, rollerblades, aeroplanes, horses, camels, boats, llamas, el trains, helicopters, scooters, mopeds, motorcycles or small submarines &c.?

-I wanted to add more options, but the poll limits the number of responses you can use...

I used to live in Racine, WI...saw Sam Johnson (I assume) taking the helicopter 10 blocks to work, his offspring preferred to drive the Lambourghini Diablo...

I guess flaunt it if you got it

think we can convince the mayor to put horse/llama lanes in?
suburban_moron
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:12 pm

dime wrote:
Kid_Notorious wrote:I drive everywhere even if it's just down the street and back, because I can.

Or maybe it's because you have to. Usually I drive, too. But if I can't or don't want to take a car, I can get to work on my bike or by bus. More people should at least have that option.

C'mon Dime, don't you remember how it was to be 16 with that new drivers license?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:20 pm

I drive, and sometimes car pool. I would use public transportation if we had any. :lol:

Return to Town Vibe