MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

madcitybroadband?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Will you be switching to the new citywide WIFI?

Yes
13%
No
38%
Depends on price
50%

Total votes : 8

madcitybroadband?

Postby Gin&Trombones » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 pm

So, it appears that the first access point for city wide WIFI is up and running downtown. I believe that I read the first tower has been installed on top of the Y on the square.

I also remember reading that there would be free access for a while until the billing infastructure for the system is up and running. So....being the cheap bastard that I am, I decided to check it out.

I have been able to regularly view and access the "madcitybroadband" (whoever came up with that network name must be a poet..."0" for creativity and "0" for originality) wireless network from the 100 block of W Wilson, but the signal is low and quite sporadic.

Incidentally, no info is available on madcitybroadband.net or .org

Any one else have any details or experience with the network? I know the system is in its infancy, so signal strength is limited, but I think the offer of "free" access is misleading.

I checked the Network Connection Details and found that currently a 10 minute lease is given, meaning you will be disconnected every 10 minutes and need to reconnect. That appears to be the main culprit of the sporadicness of the connection.

Anyway, I am glad to see this plan progressing, and I assume once more of the network is installed, things will smooth out. I guess my hope that I could tell Charter to kiss off will have to be delayed for a few...
Gin&Trombones

Location: Somewhere near Latitude: 43.061546 Longitude: -89.400243

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:16 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Thanks

Postby Gin&Trombones » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 pm

JJoyce,

Thanks for the additional info.

I guess I was not the only one interested in taking the "free" WIFI for a test drive!

much obliged...
Gin&Trombones

Location: Somewhere near Latitude: 43.061546 Longitude: -89.400243

Return to Town Vibe