MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Oh hooray, another Walgreens

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:12 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Walgreens didn't come to Madison until 1980 ...

Hey - Flanders just said "pre-Walgreens days."
He did not qualify it with "in Madison", now did he?
I just found it a strange complaint - I'm 34 and there has never been a time in my life when you couldn't get drugs on Sundays. Growing up in a town a tenth of the size of Madison, there was a clinic open on Sunday afternoons and a Walgreens in existence by the time I was in pre-school. Getting drugs after 5PM - yeah, that was a problem.

And anyway, I was being kind to Old Man Neddly - Walgreens opened its first store in 1901 or thereabouts.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:53 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Walgreens didn't come to Madison until 1980 ...

Hey - Flanders just said "pre-Walgreens days."
He did not qualify it with "in Madison", now did he?

Nope, he didn't. But Ned is from Madison.
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I just found it a strange complaint - I'm 34 and there has never been a time in my life when you couldn't get drugs on Sundays.

I'm a couple weeks short of 58 and I remember when everything was closed on Sundays. And I'm from a town much bigger than Madison.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm a couple weeks short of 58 and I remember when everything was closed on Sundays. And I'm from a town much bigger than Madison.

I remember when "everything" was closed on Sundays, too - but that didn't include the emergency clinic!
Are you seriously suggesting that prior to 1980, there was no place to receive emergency medical care in Madison? 'Cuz if you could go in for an emergency, you could get medicine, y'know?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I'm a couple weeks short of 58 and I remember when everything was closed on Sundays. And I'm from a town much bigger than Madison.

I remember when "everything" was closed on Sundays, too - but that didn't include the emergency clinic!
Are you seriously suggesting that prior to 1980, there was no place to receive emergency medical care in Madison? 'Cuz if you could go in for an emergency, you could get penicillin, y'know?

I thought we were talking about drug stores opened or closed on Sundays. I ignored your comment about emergency medical care because it had absolutely nothing to do with the prior discussion. Don't throw in red herrings.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby primetime » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:54 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:Fun fact...Walgreens was the highest overall gaining stock in the 1990's.

Actually Dell crushed WAG's performance in the 1990's. Home Depot also beat WAG's return along with a number of stocks. But WAG was a good performer averaging about 30%/year compared to the SP500's approximatle 20%/year during the 90's.

Someone else mentioned WAG building stand alone store to avoid paying rent. This isn't entirely accurate, WAG does own some stores but a majority are owned by third parties who lease the stores to WAG who doesn't want to tie up capital in real esate. They want the stand alone stores so they can have a drive thru window and extended hours of operation not tied to a mall.
primetime

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought we were talking about drug stores opened or closed on Sundays. I ignored your comment about emergency medical care because it had absolutely nothing to do with the prior discussion. Don't throw in red herrings.

Henry - Some days, I think you're the sharpest person on this Forum.
Other days, the only sharp thing about you is on the stick up your ass.

I'm not talking about the emergency room at a hospital, I'm talking about a plain ol' clinic. The very kind I went to every single time I was sick as a child. They had an emergency room which was open Sundays which gave out everything from cough medicine to penicillin. When Ned said: "Remember the pre-Walgreens days when drug stores closed at five and weren't open on Sunday? No fun if you were sick" what did you think he was talking about if not medicine? Kleenex? 'Cuz that's about the only thing I can think of that you might need for sickness that a clinic couldn't provide.

The real question is: Where do you plan to go to get that stick up your ass removed? Remember the days before stick-removal surgery? No fun if you had a stick up your ass.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:26 pm

I'm trying to remember if the old Rennebohm-Rexalls weren't open on Sundays, during the '60s?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:38 pm

Prof, don't put your displaced angry with Ned on me. Or do, since I really don't care.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Prof, don't put your displaced angry with Ned on me.

Uh ... your memory is a little faulty.
Order of events:
1) Ned posts
2) Wags makes a silly crack in response
3) H.V., Defender of Truth, steps in to smack Wags down

You invited my anger - I originally did offer it to Ned, ya sap.
I mean, if you didn't want to get into a ridiculously stupid fight with me, why did you engage me in one?
You didn't really think I was just gonna roll over, did ya? 'Cuz that would make you dense, doncha think?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:39 pm

The new Walgreens by my house (Whitney/Raymond) has a couple brick walls up now. Man they went up fast. I'm always amazed they're able to build these things and they come out...straight.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't like some of Walgreen's building decisions. Their leaving one location and making it less convenient to shop them, is not infrequent. I can name those locations. They also will sometimes locate where they're not welcomed with open arms. I'm still annoyed at the kind of monolith they put on a corner of two very busy streets, in my old neighborhood. But there was a shady deal that pushed it through.

On the other hand, I like their location on the Square. They finally took my suggestion and lengthened their hours.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Wlagreen's wants their own stand-alone stores and not have to pay rent.

The bigger issue is that there marketing plan requires them to be on "the right hand side of the street leaving town." This is why the Ken Kopps location was so coveted. It is also why Willy St. sales surged when they moved across the street. The convenience of stopping on the way home is paramount.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe