MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

How do you tame the dreaded dandelion?

Leave 'em be. I think they're purdy.
41%
Pull 'em by hand. It builds muscles, son!
19%
Some sort of nature-friendly method and/or folk remedy. (please explain)
11%
Weed and/or feed. Chemicals, that is.
11%
Shit, I'd spread fissile nuclear material on my lawn if they'd let me. They hate our lawns!
4%
I share a truce with the dandelions and beat-out my aggressions on my greens-snooping neighbor.
15%

Total votes : 27

Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 02, 2006 2:18 pm

It's that time of year again. I have nothing against dandelions, other than that harboring them in my yard is, apparently, a crime just shy of treason.

The easy/environmentally questionable thing to do is just douse your yard in weed 'n' feed or whatever. But despite what they say, I don't trust that shit not to slowly poison my pooch, not to mention that ... as I said ... I don't really give enough of a fuck about dandelions to blow the better part of a weekend behind a spreader.

So I trot-out the damn weed-puller dealie and go at 'em old school. But that's a drag, and again, I end up asking myself, "Why am I doing this?"

I do own a weed torch, which is a nice way (and fun!) to zap the damn things when they go to seed. They're biennials, I believe, so once they've gone to seed they've had it anyhow, or so is my understanding.

What to do?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue May 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:So I trot-out the damn weed-puller dealie and go at 'em old school. But that's a drag, and again, I end up asking myself, "Why am I doing this?"

The year I pulled them all out, the rabbits turned their hungry eyes to the Missus' garden.

So, I tend to leave them and would dead-head them if other more pressing maintenance tasks did not prevail.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Tue May 02, 2006 2:24 pm

Wait a sec... You have a dog. And yet you still attempt to impose some semblence of order upon your lawn?

Clearly, we are very different people.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 02, 2006 2:25 pm

You can eat em.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue May 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Toxic Ned

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue May 02, 2006 2:34 pm

I dig 'em out and feed them to my rabbits.

Fuckin' A, I can both be a rock guitar God and own a couple of cuddly bunnies.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 02, 2006 2:36 pm

Crow wrote:Wait a sec... You have a dog. And yet you still attempt to impose some semblence of order upon your lawn?

Well ... er ... not really. It's just that these things carry such ... weight. I feel the prickly stares of my neolawn neighbors like pinpricks on my hide. Well, either that or my anti-psychotics aren't cutting it like they used to.

I mean, nobody wants to be the neighborhood pariah.

Or DO they?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue May 02, 2006 2:45 pm

Yeah, I used to care somewhat about the thousands (literally) of dandelions in the yard, as in wondering "Hmmm, maybe this year I should think about doing something about those." That is, until my neighbor started dropping hints about the situation ("hey, the guys who take care of my lawn said that we could get a discount if we both had our lawns sprayed at the same time..."), at which point I endeavored to produce a bumper crop of those damn things. They have, admittedly, a beautiful lawn with no dandelions, save for those brave souls that have migrated the two or three feet onto his property. I'm sure it drives my neighbor INSANE. Muuaaaahahahahaha. Anyway, I hope that having a deep green lawn is worth the weeks that their children can't play outside...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Tue May 02, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm lucky to have neighbors that don't care one way or the other with them.
We have a dandelion fork, but it barely gets used.

It's a losing battle to take them on without chemicals, but one I don't mind losing at all.

Plus, they are fun to make your skin look nice and jaundiced.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby shelly » Tue May 02, 2006 2:53 pm

I wonder what to do every year, and usually I do nothing for the front yard, it is already a lost cause and is actually slated for complete removal or replacement by mulch and shrubs. In the back yard, I remove them by hand since it has not gotten totally out of control.

We live just downwind of people whose front lawn is 95% dandelions, so I figure that nothing I do to my front yard could make any difference, since there would be a huge and continual inoculum from right next door.

I also try to remember that they aren't a "problem" for very long, once they stop blooming no one really notices them. I suppose the leaves take up space that could be growing grass, but for me, as long as it is green it is okay. So, my front yard also has lots of violets and clover, which I would not want to get rid of. I do hate the plantain though, probably different people have different weeds that bug them. Dandelions are okay, plantains are not.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Tue May 02, 2006 2:59 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Crow wrote:Wait a sec... You have a dog. And yet you still attempt to impose some semblence of order upon your lawn?

Well ... er ... not really. It's just that these things carry such ... weight. I feel the prickly stares of my neolawn neighbors like pinpricks on my hide. Well, either that or my anti-psychotics aren't cutting it like they used to.

I mean, nobody wants to be the neighborhood pariah.

Or DO they?

Yup. Makes life more interesting.

At one time, I did experience some mild discomfort when comparing my lawn to that of others. Then a new neighbor moved in with a couple of dogs and quickly reduced a once green thing of beauty to a piss-riddled mudpatch rivaling my own. Made me feel better about the whole thing.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby AmyW » Tue May 02, 2006 3:54 pm

I leave the dandelions. The child at our house likes to make wishes on the seedy ones. It's cute when they still have hope for better things.

I do have some weeds that are like rhubarb, and I hate them. I'm not a fan of rhubarb, either, but these things are about to take over my backyard. And the roots are really deep. I dig them up, but they keep coming back, like zombie plants.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue May 02, 2006 4:03 pm

AmyW wrote:I do have some weeds that are like rhubarb, and I hate them. I'm not a fan of rhubarb, either, but these things are about to take over my backyard. And the roots are really deep. I dig them up, but they keep coming back, like zombie plants.

That sounds like burdock.

The root is used in a number of Asian cuisines I keep meaning to try.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue May 02, 2006 4:09 pm

I get them in handfuls from well-meaning little people who are amazed to find such treasure growing freely on our property. As I write, I have a wilted rocks glass full of water and wilted dandies.

Later on, they are used as wishmakers.

I have pasture to take care of- I'm beating back Canadian Thistle (the mean ass ones that grow to 6 feet) Wild parsnip, garlic mustard, wild hemp- a few dandelions on the lawn are a pleasure, not a pain.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue May 02, 2006 4:10 pm

AmyW wrote:I
I do have some weeds that are like rhubarb, and I hate them. I'm not a fan of rhubarb, either, but these things are about to take over my backyard. And the roots are really deep. I dig them up, but they keep coming back, like zombie plants.

Yeah, no shit, I've battled these too. I have pulled out HUGE DEEP strong roots and blasted the remains with Roundup. They persist sometimes.
Anyone know what that crap is called?
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe