MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Drug Testing !?!?!@*&#$&^$%

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Drug testing is good or invasion of privacy?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:51 am

Drug testing good
20%
Invasion of my privacy
80%

Total votes : 25

Drug Testing !?!?!@*&#$&^$%

Postby leonids » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:51 am

Never mind all your politics, I just need some facts about drug testing at Stoughton Trailers. They made an offer and its subject to health assessment and drug and alcohol test. Does anyone know where the tests take place?
What they test for?
What type of test? Hair? (I'm fucked) Urine? (2 weeks clean should do it) saliva? (3 days should be good)
Do they observe you pissing in a cup?
I don't suppose any of you geeky white coat lab types would know the cut off level for THC they use, like 50 or 20??
leonids

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 am

About twelve years ago, I knew somebody who knew somebody who applied there and had to take a piss test. Don't know where or how, but they called him two days later and said his pee was too weak and he had to come back for a second test.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:54 am

weak pee?
I'm having trouble figuring out what could possibly determine this.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Pee can be weak, as in watery. Notice your urine in the morning vs later in the day, and after you've had a few beers.

But in this case I'm thinking it was an excuse to get another sample after the subject has had time to smoke a few doobies, as opposed to the sample he gave after abstaining for a week or two.

And it worked. He'd smoked after the test thinking he was home free, and he didn't go back figuring he'd get caught.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Billy Shears wrote:About twelve years ago, I knew somebody who knew somebody who applied there and had to take a piss test. Don't know where or how, but they called him two days later and said his pee was too weak and he had to come back for a second test.

That must be common practice and I do not know how they can legally get away with it? Same thing happened on repeated occasions about that long ago with a former roommate of mine trying to get hired on full time while doing temp work. Of course he was drinking massive amounts of water to "clean out" but he also lifted weights which someone could understandably drink large amounts of water.

I can understand that companies are required by their insurance providers to test new hires. But once you start making absurd statements like "your pee is too weak" and that you have to "come back" and give another test that has got to be some kind of hiring racism / infringement on personal rights.

However, one easy way to get around this is take a vitamin b tablet before you go take the test. It will give your pee plenty of color.

But overall my opinion on drug tests is that unless you have caused an accident or showing obvious signs for needing to be tested, it is an invasion of privacy. Also a big waste of money because anyone that really wants to and has the right info can beat a drug test. Most of the time you don't even need to stop smoking.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:22 pm

They don't exclusively use the color of the urine to determine if it has been watered down or not.

There are metabolites from your body that appear in the urine. If an excessive amount of water is drunk in order to foil the sensitivity of their testing, they will know because of the low levels of other metabolites in your urine. Most decent testing companies test for this - which explains why it takes 2 days to find out if the sample is compromised - it's not something that can necessarily be looked at.

They do look at it though; my brother's company tested their factory workers (HUGE heavy machinery) at random after some other employee left their bag of marijuana in the rest room (brilliant!). One of the guys who was tested handed in his sample with visible chunks of chewing tobacco still floating in the sample. He figured that since he'd drunk so much water, he'd spit a little into it to make it more "pee colored". Needless to say, he would have been better off spending that time fixing up his resume.

Employment in WI is "at will". If you don't want to work there, you don't have to take their test.

How hard is it to quit puffing for a few months if you really want the job? If it's a problem for you, maybe you HAVE a problem. Either that, or you don't really want the job that bad.

I'm not stoked on testing, and I think the marijuana testing is insane - it doesn't really tell you anything about an individual - but companies are private entities and they can do what they want. I do think that if you aren't capable of avoiding drug use for a few months to get a new job, then you don't really want the job anyway, so why fuss about what it takes to get it?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Montressor » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Go see Bill at Community Pharmacy. The dude is an expert. Different things work different for different people depending on weight, metabolism etc.

What really gets me is that pot stays in your system for up to a month, or two if you have been a regular smoker for years or if you have a lot of fat tissue, but Heroin or Cocaine is gone in 3 or 4 days.
Montressor

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:42 pm

I worked there and took the pee test. I lasted three weeks. They also make you blow a breathalyzer. However, once you get hired, they don't do random tests on you.

I would not work there simply on the fact that if you get hurt at work, they do everything short of tying you down to seek medical treatment. I whacked my wrist with a huge drill with long levers on it (coring out bolt holes filled with paint) and they had me see the "nurse" who splinted it and told me to get back out there. When I said it hurt like the dickens and I told her I was going to the emergency room, she practically had a heart attack, "No NO don't go to a doctor!" My supervisor said the same thing.

I saw a guy get whacked by a frame moving on the line, and a guy got hauled out unconcious from a paint booth- apparently his respirator wasn't working so well.

If you are going as an administrative assistant, toolroom guy, sticker applier or wiring, it's not so bad. But heavy assembly isn't something you really want if you like your digits and sanity.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bbqguru » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:16 pm

they also include testing for any masking type agents along with the drugs. If you take something from the pharmacy to try to hide the drugs in your system they find the masking agent in your urine and it invalidates the test. Basically it is the same as failing the test and making you ineligable for employment.
bbqguru

Postby cheetah_woman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Bottom line for me: urine tests should only be used for cause, when safety is an issue. As a condition for obtaining or keeping a job, it is an invasion of privacy, a violation of basic civil rights, and a violation of the presumption of innocence. I am lucky to have avoided this outrage thus far.

The worst part is that piss testing basically implicates only marijuana users. As pointed out above THC stays in the body much longer than other much more dangerous substances. You could drink and smoke crack and shoot heroin all weekend and test clean the following week, but one toke off a j and you're history. I have no personal knowledge of crack or heroin but I can tell you with absolute certainty that marijuana is a far more benign substance than alcohol.

Ridiculous.
cheetah_woman

Postby Aubrey McFate » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:03 pm

cheetah_woman wrote:As pointed out above THC stays in the body much longer than other much more dangerous substances. You could drink and smoke crack and shoot heroin all weekend and test clean the following week, but one toke off a j and you're history.

Yeah, yeah, life's a bitch sometimes, ainahey?
Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:27 pm

A few years back I had to take a piss test for a day job. I did some intensive research about THC in the human body. Basically, nothing works except time. All th herbs and other stuff are bogus they do not work. Smoking weed creates metabolites that are stored in your fat cells.
As your body burns fat it releases the metabolites which you piss out. So if you are a fat fucker facing a piss test you should eat a lot of rich fatty foods and sit on your fat ass and don't exercise so you don't burn much fat and release the metabolites. On the other hand, if you are a skinny bastard you should fast, drink a ton of water and exercise your skinny ass off so that you try to eliminate as much metabolites as possible.

This explains why fat fuckers like Montressor frequently pass piss test.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:36 pm

About 15 years ago I was given a pee test and had smoked dope the night before as well as daily for about a week prior. I tested negative, go figure.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:02 pm

Get a clean sample from a non-user. Pour it into a condom. Tie off the non-business end of said condom. Tape it to your schlong. Prepare a fingernail to have a sharp point. At the right moment during the whiz-quiz, PRICK the condom to discharge it's contents into the sample cup. Laugh all the way to the bong store.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 pm

white_rabbit wrote:About 15 years ago I was given a pee test and had smoked dope the night before as well as daily for about a week prior. I tested negative, go figure.

I know more than one HR worker who swears they take the samples and flush 'em down the toilet. Just the fact that they're taking 'em scares enough stoners away.

Others say they only test a random sampling.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe