MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Drug Testing !?!?!@*&#$&^$%

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Drug testing is good or invasion of privacy?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:51 am

Drug testing good
20%
Invasion of my privacy
80%

Total votes : 25

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:30 pm

dogmeat wrote:
Either way, there is absolutely no protection for employees that consume illegal products.

Here's a gray area for you, what if I spent the weekend in Toronto and consumed pot, a legal product there and come back on Monday and get drug tested?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 pm

My own opinion is, if it was mandatory that a company test ALL its employees for drugs instead of just the rank and file, right on up to the CEO or the owner, drug testing would quietly die.

Which is why a company can pick and choose which of its employees it tests and it will always be that way.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:00 am

Some years ago, Madison Newspapers, Inc. (now called Capital Newspapers) wanted to test all employees for drugs. When they found out that many, if not most of their paper carriers tested positive for marijuana, they discontinued their plans. Otherwise, they would have a very difficult time delivering the WSJ and Cap Times.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:42 am

tibor wrote:
Learned wrote:In Wisconsin, it is illegal to discriminate (including in the hiring process) against a person because of their use or nonuse of a legal product, off work hours and off the employer's premises. That would cover alcohol and cigs.

Look here.

Someone should tell UW. You're not allowed to drink at lunch, as I understand it, even if you're not getting paid for the time and you're off site.

I'm guessing they'd rely on this:

(2) Notwithstanding s. 111.322, it is not employment discrimination because of use or nonuse of a lawful product off the employer's premises during nonworking hours for an employer, labor organization, employment agency, licensing agency or other person to refuse to hire, employ, admit, or license an individual, to bar, suspend or terminate an individual from employment, membership or licensure, or to discriminate against an individual in promotion, in compensation or in terms, conditions or privileges of employment or labor organization membership if the individual's use or nonuse of a lawful product off the employer's premises during nonworking hours does any of the following:

111.35(2)(a)
(a) Impairs the individual's ability to undertake adequately the job-related responsibilities of that individual's employment, membership or licensure.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:47 am

dogmeat wrote:I think it's humorous that there's legions of people trying to figure out how to cheat on a piss test when people could simply not smoke weed. Do you need that joint so much?

No, it's not humorous.
Yes, I do.
Alcohol used to be illegal.
So did the United States.
I guess we won't be hanging out much.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Billy Shears wrote:My own opinion is, if it was mandatory that a company test ALL its employees for drugs instead of just the rank and file, right on up to the CEO or the owner, drug testing would quietly die.

Which is why a company can pick and choose which of its employees it tests and it will always be that way.

Not to mention testing every police officer, ambulance driver, fireman, and every politician in favor of keeping drugs illegal.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe