MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Drug Testing !?!?!@*&#$&^$%

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Drug testing is good or invasion of privacy?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:51 am

Drug testing good
20%
Invasion of my privacy
80%

Total votes : 25

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Billy Shears wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:About 15 years ago I was given a pee test and had smoked dope the night before as well as daily for about a week prior. I tested negative, go figure.

I know more than one HR worker who swears they take the samples and flush 'em down the toilet. Just the fact that they're taking 'em scares enough stoners away.

Others say they only test a random sampling.

It wasn't for a job and I got to look at the results, the test did detect THC in my system but it was below the threshold level which they consider a "positive".

My current employer doesn't have pre-employment or random drug testing. The only testing is if an employee is involved in an accident on the job. My part-time job, drinking while working is encouraged.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Get a clean sample from a non-user. ...

This could prove to be a serious challenge for some people. How many pot smokers have non-smoking friends or family members that they would be comfortable asking for such a favor?
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:03 pm

Don't use the dog's whiz, that's for sure. The more I think about it, the more I realize that my advice is BAD. I remember that Nurse Diesel watches from behind a screen to make sure there isn't any monkey-business going on. Also I think that they do something to check the temperature of it.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:58 am

Whatever you do, don't use a convenience store microwave to get around any temperature checks. Also, if you're a woman, re-think your plan to use fake male genitalia to deliver your pee.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Montressor » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 pm

harrissimo wrote:This explains why fat fuckers like Montressor frequently pass piss test.

Fat fucker? Frequently pass piss test? I don't know what your problem is, but if you're going to attack me for no reason, at least get your facts straight. You have no idea who I am so you have no idea what I weigh. You have no knowledge how many times my job has tested me, so you have no idea if it is frequent or not.

You need help.
Montressor

Postby Atty25 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 am

Here is what I do and it works every time...

Stop smoking weed ya fuckin' pothead! Damn hippies.
Atty25
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:21 am

Billy Shears wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:About 15 years ago I was given a pee test and had smoked dope the night before as well as daily for about a week prior. I tested negative, go figure.

I know more than one HR worker who swears they take the samples and flush 'em down the toilet. Just the fact that they're taking 'em scares enough stoners away.

Others say they only test a random sampling.

I'm with BS:
just like background checks, a lot of it is scare tactics to weed out undesireables.
Either never apply at a place that administers drug tests, or take the risk---they're not going to arrest you, just not hire you.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DaBrizat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Wasn't it some dude from the Vikings last year who got busted with the "Wizzinator" (the faux phallus device for delivering pure pee)?

Where there's a will there's a way.
DaBrizat

Just askin'...

Postby Marvell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:35 am

So when do we get to test the drugs?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:48 pm

cheetah_woman wrote:Bottom line for me: urine tests should only be used for cause, when safety is an issue. As a condition for obtaining or keeping a job, it is an invasion of privacy, a violation of basic civil rights, and a violation of the presumption of innocence. I am lucky to have avoided this outrage thus far.
How is it a violation of rights? Do you have a right to work for any company you want? Do you have a right to smoke weed? A company can have conditions of employment such as employees not being allowed to smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. The company isn't forcing people to give these things up. You can do those things if you want, but there's no law that prevents a company from firing someone for violating a condition of employment.

Of course any company that has employment conditions will need to study whether they'll be able to maintain a sufficient employee levels. As far as refusing to employ people that use illegal drugs, there's plenty of people out there to fill positions, so the company loses nothing.

I think it's humorous that there's legions of people trying to figure out how to cheat on a piss test when people could simply not smoke weed. Do you need that joint so much?
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Montressor » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:13 pm

dogmeat wrote:I think it's humorous that there's legions of people trying to figure out how to cheat on a piss test when people could simply not smoke weed. Do you need that joint so much?

Even if you quit now, it stays in your system for 30 to 60 days.
Montressor

Postby Billy Shears » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Montressor wrote:
dogmeat wrote:I think it's humorous that there's legions of people trying to figure out how to cheat on a piss test when people could simply not smoke weed. Do you need that joint so much?

Even if you quit now, it stays in your system for 30 to 60 days.

I think the meat is saying "never ever smoke that joint."
Just Say No, as it were.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:01 pm

dogmeat wrote:How is it a violation of rights? Do you have a right to work for any company you want? Do you have a right to smoke weed? A company can have conditions of employment such as employees not being allowed to smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. The company isn't forcing people to give these things up. You can do those things if you want, but there's no law that prevents a company from firing someone for violating a condition of employment.

This isn't always true. In Wisconsin, it is illegal to discriminate (including in the hiring process) against a person because of their use or nonuse of a legal product, off work hours and off the employer's premises. That would cover alcohol and cigs. But, of course there are exceptions.

Look here.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:24 pm

So Wisconsin has some protections for employees that consume legal products. I know other state's don't. I know people have been fired for smoking during off-hours. The Air Force flirted with the idea for awhile too.

Either way, there is absolutely no protection for employees that consume illegal products. It's your choice to consume an illegal product. It's also an employers choice to test employees and applicants and deny employment based upon a positive drug test.

I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to require drug tests for elected positions. There's at least one person on the City Council that I think lights up. I'd say who, but I'm not dumb enough to set myself up for a libel suit. Of course, could you ever imagine elected officials voting to require themselves to pass a drug test?
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 pm

Learned wrote:In Wisconsin, it is illegal to discriminate (including in the hiring process) against a person because of their use or nonuse of a legal product, off work hours and off the employer's premises. That would cover alcohol and cigs.

Look here.

Someone should tell UW. You're not allowed to drink at lunch, as I understand it, even if you're not getting paid for the time and you're off site.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe