MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Petition against horrific public "art"!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Would you sign my petition to hve the phootball and the toothpaste removed?

Yes, they are ugly and offensive!
100%
Hell no, I love them!
No votes
Maybe they can be fixed?
No votes

Total votes : 4

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:00 pm

It's obviously a phallus, with a bad case of genital warts.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:The corpse flower. I knew it reminded me of something.... it was that corpse flower. Just needs that green skirt thing around the bottom.

Then it would be a tribute to the Don Morton years.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:26 pm

snoqueen wrote: ...I also miss the hanging steel cage sculpture that had colored metal birds inside -- used to hang in the courtyard area between the Tenney Bldg and the Glass Bank.

I only vaguely remember the bird cage, but I liked it.

snoqueen wrote:Wish people were as ambitious to vandalize the Phootballs as they were the Gay Bench Sitters. I used to like it when they'd dress the Bench Sitters for winter, though, giving them scarves and hats on cold days. Maybe the Phootballs need to be dressed too -- but the only thing I can imagine them wearing is a giant condom.

Calling Leon Varijan....

This requires a Spectacle. A contest of subversive pranks. Perhaps one group can knit a giant rainbow colored condom, the better to greet football fans one crisp Saturday morning. Another team from material science could firmly attach a giant prosthetic, limp . .

At least, it somehow seems to be an open invitation. Or, at least the critics seem to think it just screams, "Hey, I SUCK!!" Or some variation of that.

leaving off now . . .
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:48 pm

juanton wrote:I hear Guido the manager from Visions has either David Lee Roth or a Van Halen record cover painted on his garage. Anyone seen it and where?

I have no idea whose garage it is, but there is a garage door on Milwaukee St. with a stunning, high-contrast black-and-white image of Diamond Dave on it.

I don't remember what the nearest cross street is.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Billy Shears wrote:Okay I was hoping I'd figure out from context, but I give up. What's the toothpaste? I thought it was the football thing but you keep talking about the toothpaste and the football like they were two different things.

The toothpaste as I call it is a tribute to the Greenbush neighborhood on Regent street at Murry (I think), across from Bucks. That corner of the Rail corridor Properties is owned by the City; and this sculpture, a pyramid of granite with - what looks like to me - a squirt of toothpaste on top.

I believe the intention was honorable, but this poll is about execution... the artist's execution, and the execution of the artists. :roll:
Last edited by spanky on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:54 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:This requires a Spectacle. A contest of subversive pranks. Perhaps one group can knit a giant rainbow colored condom, the better to greet football fans one crisp Saturday morning. Another team from material science could firmly attach a giant prosthetic, limp . .

At least, it somehow seems to be an open invitation. Or, at least the critics seem to think it just screams, "Hey, I SUCK!!" Or some variation of that.

I'm in. That's way better than a fuckin petition!
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 pm

I know I've seen this football/toothpaste that you all speak of, but I'm not in that area much anymore and I can't picture it. Sounds like that's a good thing - but I do miss working in that area.

Here's Gay Liberation:
That's my bag underneath my jacket - not a baby. I had an aunt freak out on me when I shared one of the photos from this part of the night with her.

And now I'm pretty sure I read of its Madison history on the sign, I know I've never seen it here, and I don't recall anyone talking about it except my companion on this trip. When was it here?
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:02 am

I remember seeing "gay liberation" as an AP photo in my small-home-town newspaper when I was in high school, so it was probably in Madison circa 83-85.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:16 am

SombreroFallout wrote:
Calling Leon Varijan....

This requires a Spectacle. A contest of subversive pranks. Perhaps one group can knit a giant rainbow colored condom, the better to greet football fans one crisp Saturday morning. Another team from material science could firmly attach a giant prosthetic, limp . .

leaving off now . . .

I'm up for knitting. I have a bunch of cheap, brightly colored acrylic yarn that should hold up fairly well in the elements. Anybody else want to help? Barney? Thusnelda?
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe