MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Lake

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

The Lake

Postby Cooltapes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Wow, is the lake(s) going to freeze this year? I seem to remember wondering this in past years and they eventually did, but this is January now and it's been so warm so far.
I'm gonna rent that Al Gore movie. It's getting to the point where I no longer enjoy avoiding that biting cold weather, instead I think the world is ending.
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Re: The Lake

Postby Korrigan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Cooltapes wrote:Wow, is the lake(s) going to freeze this year? I seem to remember wondering this in past years and they eventually did, but this is January now and it's been so warm so far.
I'm gonna rent that Al Gore movie. It's getting to the point where I no longer enjoy avoiding that biting cold weather, instead I think the world is ending.

Yesterday evening (Wednesday, 1/3/2007), I was along Mendota on the Lakeshore Path, and there was this sound like a bunch of tired birds chirping. In the moonlight, I could see what looked like thin sheets of ice on the lake, right along the shore, with the water washing over them now and then. I know it wasn't 32 degrees out, but I know I wasn't seeing things as I took a picture of it as well (I'll have to figure out that flickr thing) in the moonlight.

Now, we're talking very thin ice, of course.
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby Cooltapes » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Others have reported seeing ice chunks, too. But at this rate, I'm betting that it's not going to freeze over. I hope I'm wrong.
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Darthcrank » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:06 am

Don't worry, we still have a very frigid 2 months of winter ahead!
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:50 am

I bet next summer we have more bugs than ever in history. This will not be fun.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Darthcrank wrote:Don't worry, we still have a very frigid 2 months of winter ahead!

wishful thinking
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:31 pm

Everyone in my office is suffering from sinus and allergy problems. I made a special trip to Willy Coop just to stock up on natural remedies.

Sometimes I think it's too bad we can't just crank a thermostat, so it's not
too bitter cold and not too warm.
Last edited by Bwis53 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Everyone in my office is suffering from sinus and allergy problems.

The talking heads were chatting about this on The Today Show. There is excess mold in the air, which is normally killed by the colder temps. But it's not global warming, it's El Nìno.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scooterboy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:31 pm

I have never, ever been able to ride my scooter around town and around the county in January. Never. Until now.

I was born and raised, for the most part, in Wisconsin. I used to live on a lake. By Christmas, the farmers would be dragging their ice fishing huts onto the lake with their tractors. You could walk or drive across nearly any lake in Wisconsin. I remember one winter when the ice was 3 feet thick, and many ponds were frozen right to their bottoms.

I saw boats on the lake last weekend. Boats. In January. On Lake Monona.

Motorcycles and scooters were off the roads by October, November at the latest. You sometimes had to wait until May before you could ride again.

That's what Wisconsin winters were like, going back as far as there are records. Our climate is changing. It is changing rapidly. The scientists have been telling us this. Maybe now people will listen.
Scooterboy

Postby Cooltapes » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Some people will listen; most people won't believe it or do anything about it until it's biting them in the ass. that's how people are. Not a problem until it's their problem. Our collective way of living especially in this country is probably unsustainable beyond this century, even with advances in technology. It seems people are more likely to believe in the second coming of Jesus Christ than global warming, like the man they voted for George Bush. And why not? Ironically the climate changes leading to apocalyptic weather/ecosystem changes we'll see over the next 50 years will only reinforce those beiefs. That's cool, Bush vs. Kerry is probably the difference between going to hell in a handbasket at 60MPH vs 30. I'm about ready to give up and go Vonnegut; if the Earth is the toilet into which humanity is taking a giant shit, nature is about to flush.
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:31 pm

As I recall, the winter of '79 saw 56 inches of snow. The entire month of February was below zero.
Quite a setting for the Rowen/Skornicka campaign!
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby joelathon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:16 am

it's not global warming, it's El Nìno.

Someday the whole country will have to go back and retake high school science...little intro to bio, physics, chem, who knows, maybe even a little intro to ecology.

(Except in Kansas, which will accept credits for burning witches and/or gays.)

I don't feel like googling for a link and doing someone else's homework, so here's the short version: higher atmospheric temps --> higher surface water temps --> El Ninos occur with greater frequency --> higher average temps --> diminishing permafrost and exacerbating glacier melts --> still more CO2 released into atmosphere-->higher atmospheric temps...repeat.

Ain't feedback loops a bitch?
joelathon

Postby lonesomejohnny » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:43 am

Driving down Johnson street I noticed that the river was frozen this morning.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:55 am

There's a picture from Madison on the CNN.com front page as I type. It's kind of funny, in the same was as that NBC news chick in a canoe in New Orleans.

The warning sign at the waterfront says "warning: thin ice." Of course, there's no ice whatsoever to be seen.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Just to put this all into perspective, the NWS reports that:
MADISON BROKE THEIR RECORD STREAK OF DAYS THAT REACHED OR EXCEEDED A HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES...WITH 31 DAYS
So it has been very mild indeed. I actually looked down at a whole lot of golfers playing at the Bridges golf course when I took off for my holidays on the 23rd December, which has to be some sort of record.

On the other hand, from NWS we also get the ranking of this mild spell compared with others:
rank,consecutive days, year,dates
1 31 *2006-07* DEC 09 - JAN 08
2 29 1889-90 DEC 01 - DEC 29
2 29 1881-82 DEC 01 - DEC 29
3 27 1923-24 DEC 01 - DEC 27
3 27 1879-80 JAN 01 - JAN 27
So plenty of previous years have had similar warm winter spells, and many of them were over a century ago. So I don't know if I'd be blaming this on global warming. More likely a strong El Nino I would think.
doddles
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe