MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

What bumper stickers are the most "Madison".

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Does your car have a bumper sticker?

Yes, of course!
48%
No way!
52%

Total votes : 27

What bumper stickers are the most "Madison".

Postby universitylad » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 pm

So many automobiles around Madison have lots of bumper stickers. At work, the other day we were trying to decide what bumpers stickers would be the most "Madison" to have. In the end we decided the most "Madison" of Madisonians would have two bumper stickers: "Share the Road with Bicycles" and "Feingold".

Some others to consider "Crossed out W's", "Impeach", "ProChoice Woman", "Say No to Circumcision", "Stop IZ"....

What bumpers stickers do you think would make a car the most "Madison?"

What bumper stickers does your car sport?

I currently don't have any bumper stickers (just a UW window sticker) because I think they'd be hard to peel off. Do any of you put bumper stickers onto magnets so your car can be political one day and apolitical the next?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What bumper stickers are the most "Madison".

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:16 pm

universitylad wrote:

What bumper stickers does your car sport?

I have a "Kerry for President" sticker, that was previously occupied by a "Clark for President" and before that a "Dean for President" sticker. I will not be taking it off until Clark announces his intentions, or I choose to support another candidate. I decided to keep the Kerry sticker on as a reminder to the stupid people who voted for Bush of how stupid they are. On the other side of my rear bumper is a cute "Feingold/Baldwin '08, as American as fresh cheese curds" sticker that I bought from the TAA.

I have noticed quite a few vehicles with partially scrapped off "Bush/Cheney" stickers lately.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:46 pm

On the isthmus, anything having to do with wort, unions, tibet, and the political left.

East of starkweather creek it's a guy pissing on either a ford or chevy emblem, and harley davidson.

Do I have bumper stickers? Like I need any reason for people to drive CLoser to my bumper in this city.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Mondale-Ferraro
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby heyduke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 am

Not the most Madison of all bumper stickers, but maybe the funniest/ballsiest one I've seen recently. This one in the parking lot of Border's on University on a car covered in stickers:

"Nothing Fails Like Prayer"
heyduke

Postby comte buffon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 am

The one that's been around the longest is "Imagine whirled peas." I remember reading it as a child on those old boxy Volvo station wagons everyone used to drive.
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby cdhopper » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:55 pm

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that I liked:

"My other car is a pair of boots."

And I've always liked, "Kill Your Television."

I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that said, "Arm the Homeless." I took it off one day, and have kind of regretted it ever since.

I'm pretty sure Bert Zipperer may have the most bumper stickers I've ever seen, in person, on one vehicle. That's him in that old VW Van, right?

By the way, WD40 takes bumper stickers right off. It also removes State Park stickers from your windshield.
cdhopper

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:21 pm

What bumper stickers are the most "Madison"?

Whichever ones are the most obnoxiously self-righteous.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:49 pm

cdhopper wrote:I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that said, "Arm the Homeless." I took it off one day, and have kind of regretted it ever since.

Is it not as cool if you go out of your way to procure a new one?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 pm

comte buffon wrote:The one that's been around the longest is "Imagine whirled peas." I remember reading it as a child on those old boxy Volvo station wagons everyone used to drive.

Two other parodies of the ancient "visualize world peace" sticker are favorites of mine:

Visualize grilled cheese (which, unlike "whirled peas" looks nothing like "world peace", but still sounds right in my head)

and:

Forget world peace; visualize using your turn signals
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Haven't seen it around yet, but a friend told me she saw one saying "May the baby you save be gay"... :lol:
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm

I saw one yesterday that I think was on an old friend's car: ALCOHOL TOBACCO AND FIREARMS...whose bringing the chips?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:12 pm

sitnspin wrote:Haven't seen it around yet, but a friend told me she saw one saying "May the baby you save be gay"...

I never seen that one, but did see one once that said, "Club a gay baby seal for Christ"
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:52 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
sitnspin wrote:Haven't seen it around yet, but a friend told me she saw one saying "May the baby you save be gay"...

I never seen that one, but did see one once that said, "Club a gay baby seal for Christ"

Ooh I saw one once that said "Nuke the Gay Whales for Christ"
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:46 pm

Two of my favorites:

"Pro-Accordion & I Vote"

"Dog is my co-pilot"
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe