MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sundance 608: impressive

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Paco » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 pm

MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I love assigned seating and reclining chairs in movie theaters. Experienced that in LA and have been pining ever since.

As someone who's never been to a theater with assigned seating, tell me, how does it work? Is there price differentials between the 'good seats' and the 'bad seats'? Will Sundance 608 use assigned seating only on weekends or premiers or all the time? What if there aren't many people in the theater?

I've been to one in London and Bulgaria. In London, you buy your ticket, then some guy is sitting there, and points to a seating chart and says ..you're sitting here.
In BG, they write the seat number on your ticket.

It basically sucks. You should be able to sit where you want. Maybe in NY or LA it may be necessary, but not here.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Paco wrote:It basically sucks. You should be able to sit where you want. Maybe in NY or LA it may be necessary, but not here.

I'm in hopes that the reserved seating helps people remember they're not in their living room and should, as my teachers down South used to say, hush talking.

OTOH, when I'm at a movie and my neighbor starts yammering, I just move. That'll be harder with reserved seats.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 am

Wis Film Fest '08 could be HUGE if you combine all of the screens this year with potential screens at Sundance and the potential reopening of Majestic.

I was an employee at Hilldale during last Film Fest and all of the showings were packed. I think it is actually nice to have some decentralized screens to help cut back on the logjam downtown and also get people out to the westside.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Paco wrote:
MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I love assigned seating and reclining chairs in movie theaters. Experienced that in LA and have been pining ever since.

As someone who's never been to a theater with assigned seating, tell me, how does it work? Is there price differentials between the 'good seats' and the 'bad seats'? Will Sundance 608 use assigned seating only on weekends or premiers or all the time? What if there aren't many people in the theater?

It basically sucks. You should be able to sit where you want. Maybe in NY or LA it may be necessary, but not here.

I agree, it's probably unecessary. Sort of like valet parking at Fleming's.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 am

In the theater I went to in LA, you just tell the person how many tickets and they find the best available fit. I don't know what happens if you ask for 4 and they don't have any but have 2 groups of 2, since I only went to a couple of movies.

Assuming they are all properly angled stadium seats and a screen and speakers appropriately sized, it should work great.

The only real disadvantage is if you don't buy your tickets early enough.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:53 am

Jesse Russell wrote:I was an employee at Hilldale during last Film Fest and all of the showings were packed. I think it is actually nice to have some decentralized screens to help cut back on the logjam downtown and also get people out to the westside.

I think 3 of my 4 were at hilldale, for those very reasons. I made a point of it since the prior year it was more a hassle than I wanted. It's nice to park and walk for 30 seconds to get to the theatre.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:25 pm

Re: The Assigned Seating...

I take medication that sometimes makes me pee a lot, therefore I always take an aisle seat. Can I tell them that?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm

YOu can tell them, but not too loudly. ;)

I think 2 times it was so dead in there that we just sat where we wanted to anyway.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:23 pm

I know that in a Loews theater I went to, there was a VIP section with way nicer seats and a place to put food and drinks. Those were $15 and regular seats were $8.50.

I'd pay extra for good seats minus riff raff anytime. Otherwise, my best friend has a kick @ss projector and I can just watch it in his living room.
grumpus

Postby uwstudent » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:06 pm

Anybody know who bought the old Hilldale Theatre sign?
Maybe Sundance did and might display it in their lobby. :?
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe