MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

American Landscape

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:31 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote: You know if you donâ??t have anything nice to say, donâ??t say it.

Dear CDS

signed Narc
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Being able to afford the best clothes has nothing to do with looking decent.

The attire I describe is not "working class".

Grouping all the bad things about the fifties in with how people dressed might be entertained as an interesting point......by a first grade teacher.

I think that Albuquerque street was pretty interesting. Signage rules today are very limiting (boring).
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby comte buffon » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm

When I lived in bigger cities (uh huh), it was more often the rich sloppy university kids who looked like they got on the bus/subway in their pajamas. People of the same age who were working in bars, shops, and the like were dressed really nicely--and from cheap stores that sold trendy stuff. Those "pajamas" the kids were wearing? Inevitably Gap, Abercrappy, Juicy, whatever.

I think the connection between what our landscape looks like and what our appearance looks like isn't that much of a stretch. It's about a having a sense of dignity for oneself, and a respect for the people who are sitting on the bus having to watch you sloutch yer way over to a seat. It says: I know you exist, too.

What's wrong with the strip malls and crappy shit on the side of the roads? The lack of thought and care put into that view insults our sensitivities, no matter how much money we make. It brings us all down.
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm

Ok one more hijack post and then I really gotta go.
People have the impression that my comments were aimed at a much broader range of people than I really meant but I tend to generalize and write off-the-cuff on here so I see how it happens. I wasn't trying to demean poor people, people in their work clothes, people who just prefer simple plain clothes, etc. There's a definite group I was speaking of and I don't think they're too hard to identify. It's the slobs who can't be bothered to put any effort into themselves. If it ain't pull-on, slip-on, stretch-to-fit, velcro, one size fits all, they ain't interested. And I was commenting just as much on their lack of fitness as their clothes. My friends who travel anywhere beyond North America always come back and comment on the people they saw and how the majority of them are "not fat" and they "know how to dress". Call those comments snobbish and rude if you want, and maybe they're a bit exaggerated, but we earn the term "ugly americans".

I don't go out every day looking like Tom Ford, but I'm never just giving up.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 pm

So really we're talkimg aesthetics-ugly really isnt good for the soul (though everyone won't agree on what is ugly) A photo can be great art because of the photographer but that doesnt mean the place shown has appeal to humans in real life. People dress for a variety of reasons- to be seen, to be invisible, to look good, to blend in with one group or another, because they like what they're wearing, because they don't want any one to think they care what they look like, etc. Dirty is hardly ever good, sanitized is just as bad & beyond that its 'katy bar the door'
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Feel-good experiences: observing the fine details of the inside of any well built building, the walk up W.Washington, the look and feel of well made jeans or Armani. Oh,and for clothes,you don't have to spend a lot to look good. I've got designer stuff from St.Vinny's. It helps to have an eye for good stuff.

Much of our modern architecture is built to be knocked down fast. I can understand why, but the bad looking stuff makes a person feel like a comodity in Metropolis.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe