MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Excellent racism

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Excellent racism

Postby evansvillehousewife » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:16 pm

www.comics.com/wash/watch

Wow. Rarely do I see an example of racism that offends me so completely. This comic was in today's Sunday Edition of the WI state journal. It depicts an african american woman- a thin, attractive, tastefully dressed woman- ranting about how a black football player had a white wife now that he had a taste of success. The next panel was a college- aged black man explaining that you don' t know what attracts one person the the other,that sometimes, 'Sparks just fly.' The final panel depicts a high-class black man in a suit starting a conversation with a drooling, saggy-breasted, camel-toed, blonde, whorishly dressed white woman.

So, what exactly was the point Cory T (the cartoonist) trying to make? That successful black men are race traitors for choosing to make white women their partners? That white women that hang out with black men are trailer park trash? That white women are disgusting, redneck, and to be avoided? That the black woman in the first panel was a racist against race mixing?

Then there is the whole point that the cartoonist portrayed a football player as a 'successful black man' - I was under the impression that black individuals are worth so much more than just sports heroes. As scientists, activists, and office holders- yet the cartoonist chose a sports star as an example of an admired black man.

Or is he trying to say that he feels that society portrays the most successful of black men as only deserving of the lowest social class of white woman?

This type of race-mixing protest used to be common in the 50's. except they usualy depicted an ape-like, big -lipped black man pursuing a delicate, virtuous, flower of a white girl. Now it is a genteel, civilized black man pursuing a well-ridden rodeo pony of a white woman.

What's your view? I was saddened because my first feeling was "this cartoonist is putting down white women, and last time I checked, I was a white woman. (unless you ask the nazis, cuz i'm 1/4 german jew,and apparently they aren't white)

Opus also portrayed a fat white woman in curlers that got tazered because of her fascination with Paris Hilton- but I saw that as a representation of society, not white women, because the issue of race was not addressed so directly.

What are your thoughts? Your views, how you see this? Throw me an angleI'm missing. Thanks (and you can leave out the angle that I'm offended cuz I live in a small-town trailer and have similar physical characteristics-i see that one coming a mile away)
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Eeeewww

I don't actually buy newspapers anymore. Is that a regular feature of the Sunday WSJ?

Never seen that strip before.

"Print is dead." - Egon Spengler, Ghostbusters
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Excellent racism

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:22 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:The next panel was a college- aged black man explaining

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure that's a lady. "Dana"? Roommate of another girl? Yeah, I'm voting "lady."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Korrigan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 am

Just curious, but do you read this comic strip daily? I don't, but looking at it online, I think there are some contextual issues, both with the recurring characters and in the larger sense.

Now, the depiction of the white woman in the strip is pretty unflattering, to put it mildly, but I don't think the point was that she stood for all white women. I think she was the questionably attractive stand-in for humor value that shows up in most comic strips, and this time around, it was combined with race.

It some ways, it's not that different than, or perhaps an inversion of, some of the behavior in the Lockharts, Andy Capp, or Hagar the Horrible, except they happened to live in all-white cartoon neigborhoods. It also reminds me of the depiction of women in some of Ralf Konig's strips (which are about German gay men).
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby madkitkat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:08 pm

I'm right there with you, evansvillehousewife. I saw that cartoon and was appalled. I've only looked at this strip a few times before and I remember that each time I thought the message/humor was similarly questionable. Not sure exactly what this comic STRIP is doing on the editorial page. I thought editorial cartoons were for commenting on politics and local news events, not personal narratives like this one.
madkitkat
Forum Addict

Re: Excellent racism

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:32 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:What are your thoughts? Your views, how you see this? Throw me an angleI'm missing. Thanks (and you can leave out the angle that I'm offended cuz I live in a small-town trailer and have similar physical characteristics-i see that one coming a mile away)

Oh for the love of...

"What do you call that act?!"
"The Aristocrats"

Retard.

(hugs),
Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Cory Thomas emailed me.... and I emailed him back. The discussion follows.

Dear evansvillehousewife,

I am sorry Sunday's strip upset you. Allow me to address your concerns. I appreciate you taking the time to read my work, but you have unfortunately misinterpreted my intents and my beliefs.

Nowhere in that strip, or in my total body of work, have I ever suggested that interracial couples are contemptable. Nor is that a personal belief. My own interracial marriage to a woman, herself the product of an interracial marriage, should serve to dispel any such notions.

Nowhere in that strip, or in my total body of work, have I ever suggested that caucasians are "saggy-breasted, whorishly dressed, and moronic in appearance." This was one character in one panel in one joke. In fact, my general depiction of caucasian characters is considerably less moronic than the black characters that I usually focus on. Maybe you haven't been following the strip long enough to observe this.

Regarding Sunday's strip: Let me now directly answer one of your questions. Yes. Many black women resent interracial couples. Especially successful, upwardly-mobile black women who, statistically, outnumber successful, upwardly-mobile black men.

Here are some links:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0881455.html
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_103984.asp
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2005/12/05/blackmale
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/17/World ... _men.shtml

There are more black men in prison than in college. Most black men don't even graduate high school. Add to that the disproportional death rates. Successful black men are in short supply.

Yes. Many college-educated black women are seeking such men to marry. And yes. A large percentage of those men are instead marrying caucasian women. It would be blind denial to suggest otherwise.

So, yes. There is a certain amount of resentment among black women and the strip accurately depicted that. Though my primary goal is to be humorous and, at times moronic, I also satirically address topics of discussion. Some of them may be contentious. Maybe my handling of the topic in question was a bit ungraceful and for that I apologize.

Respectfully,
Cory Thomas.

--

My response:

Dear Mr Thomas:

Dear Cory-

Thank you for the time to respond and discuss these issues
with me.

> Nowhere in that strip, or in my total body of work, have
> I ever suggested
> that interracial couples are contemptable. Nor is that a
> personal belief. My
> own interracial marriage to a woman, herself the product
> of an interracial
> marriage, should serve to dispel any such notions.

I interpreted the black woman's resentment of interracial
couples as a form of contempt. As far as your own
interracial marriage I respectfully disagree; participating
in an issue does not guard you from being offensive towards
that issue. Many men are married to women yet remain
mysogynists.

>
> Nowhere in that strip, or in my total body of work, have
> I ever suggested
> that caucasians are "saggy-breasted, whorishly dressed,
> and moronic in
> appearance." This was one character in one panel in one
> joke.

Really? Are you claiming that the caucasian woman appeared
to be an intelligent, tastefully dressed, and an adequate
representative of caucasian women? She was a joke and
stood out as such in panels of civilized, well-dressed
black individuals.

In fact, my
> general depiction of caucasian characters is considerably
> less moronic than
> the black characters that I usually focus on. Maybe you
> haven't been
> following the strip long enough to observe this.

It's great that all your other panels depict whites as
swell folks, but that does not excuse the denigration of
this one. The fact that interracial couples- and therefore
race- was the pivotal discussion further focuses on the
depiction of the caucasian characters.

>
> Regarding Sunday's strip: Let me now directly answer one
> of your questions.
> Yes. Many black women resent interracial couples.
> Especially successful,
> upwardly-mobile black women who, statistically, outnumber
> successful,
> upwardly-mobile black men.
>There are more black men in prison than in college. Most
> black men don't
> even graduate high school. Add to that the
> disproportional death rates.
> Successful black men are in short supply.
>Yes. Many college-educated black women are seeking such
> men to marry. And
> yes. A large percentage of those men are instead marrying
> caucasian women.
> It would be blind denial to suggest otherwise.

What about successful black women marrying a white man? If
black men have less of an issue with marrying a white
woman, should black women be more open to expanding their
life partners? Yes, I agree there is a shortage of black
men, as is prevalent in the current crisis of female headed
households in the black community. But I don't think
denigrating white women is an acceptable method of pointing
this out. The black women that disparaged interracial
marriage are obviously the most racist individuals in this
strip, yet the white lady is, and yes she IS, the whorishly
dressed moron. Why aren't the closed minded black women the
ones depicted as having a lack of character and
open-mindedness?

Though my primary goal is
> to be humorous
> and, at times moronic, I also satirically address topics
> of discussion. Some
> of them may be contentious. Maybe my handling of the
> topic in question was a
> bit ungraceful and for that I apologize.

Thanks for your apology. Yes, it was made clear that the
black women were concerned about the lack of financially
well off black men. I just don't see why a white woman had
to be hatefully depicted among the same lines of the black
man in racist literature.

Peace and best Regards,
the housewife
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:53 pm

You didn't just call them "civilized black individuals".
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:58 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:Cory Thomas emailed me.... and I emailed him back. The discussion follows.

the housewife

Seriously. How important are you? Cause I've been kicking around this world peace idea and you seem like someone with the know-how and the go-get'em attitude to get that done.

wow.

Danimal
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many black folks livin' in Evansville these days? Over or under ten?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:16 pm

I hear Richard Prior was a racist too.....oh wait, white chick...that's right...well he was still a racist! Hey housewife, write him a letter.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:You didn't just call them "civilized black individuals".

Yes- as opposed to the depiction apelike, halfwit white woman.

Black, and white people, can act uncivilized. White college boys during halloween? Uncivilized behavior. Black folks at a fraternity charity event standing around sipping wine and talking? Civilized behavior.

Try again.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hulk » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Too bad you couldn't see the humor in the comic strip. The only racial issue is the one you are making out of it. The artist gave you a good response yet you obviously know better about why the strip was created and what the author was trying to say. Nice.
hulk
Forum Addict

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
evansvillehousewife wrote:Cory Thomas emailed me.... and I emailed him back. The discussion follows.

the housewife

Seriously. How important are you? Cause I've been kicking around this world peace idea and you seem like someone with the know-how and the go-get'em attitude to get that done.

wow.

Danimal

I printed it as a view to this cartoon, and as the artist, he obviously had a very relavant viewpoint.

Not my fault if you can't get shit done and you're jealous.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:41 pm

supaunknown wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many black folks livin' in Evansville these days? Over or under ten?

Just out of curiousity, how does my choice of residence pertain to the matter at hand? Wouldn't my profession and public service be more relevant?

For the record, there are 26 African American children registered in Evansville K-12.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe