MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

NEW GAY CLUB WITH AUTOMATED DRINKS????? EW!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

NEW GAY CLUB WITH AUTOMATED DRINKS????? EW!

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Cap Times had a piece yesterday about a new homo happening on East Wash in the old Great Big Huge Fat Pictures building near Fyfe's.
Out Nightclub....dumb name.
Why not just call it Out?
http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 030466.php
Check this:
Quote:
"The Out Nightclub collaborators are hoping to eventually install what would be the first local vending machine of sorts for alcoholic beverages: A customer uses a touch screen to order a drink, the machine pours it, and then a bartender serves it.
The system would be hooked to an inventory and a point-of-sale program and would prevent bartenders from over-serving alcohol, according to Mortensen."

WTF?!
Not only does that sound condescending but why tip a bartender who simply hands you a drink from a machine?

Gay, straight, bi, or like me---that seems silly.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:01 pm

Wow, that's a huge WTF. I can't believe I missed that when I read that article. Thanks for pointing it out.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 pm

HOWEVER, if they got a robot to pour stiff drinks it would pretty much be the best bar ever.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Stomach wrote:HOWEVER, if they got a robot to pour stiff drinks it would pretty much be the best bar ever.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:19 pm

I read that article also and I'm fascinated with that funky old building. If I go there as a straight person, would they accept me or resent me?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JMH » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I read that article also and I'm fascinated with that funky old building. If I go there as a straight person, would they accept me or resent me?

Will you be wearing a "Dear queermos, I just came to check out the Booz-a-tronic 5000, please don't touch me cuz I'm allergic to teh aidz" shirt? If not, I think you'll be all right.
JMH

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 pm

JMH wrote:Will you be wearing a "Dear queermos, I just came to check out the Booz-a-tronic 5000, please don't touch me cuz I'm allergic to teh aidz" shirt?

Wait - they make those?

I think I just solved my Christmas gift problems...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Yesterdays Cap Times also had this article about 111 West Main Street.

Shamrock Bar owner Glenn Jahns is testing the waters to open "One Eleven West" in the former Que Sera space at 111 W. Main Street, just a few doors down from the Shamrock. He will be on hand to answer questions about his business model at a neighborhood forum April 12 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Madison Senior Center, 330 W. Mifflin St.

Looks like the Madison gay community could quickly go from famine to feast, as far as gay bar/club options go.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:14 pm

I smell a Kenneth Burns expose in making!
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 pm

jammybastard wrote:I smell a Kenneth Burns expose in making!

Don't get me started about that ridiculously shalllow and reheated "front page story" that seemed to have been merely called in recently.
Homos here feel free to go anywhere in town---and they do.
I resent the flow chart of stereotypical gay parade-type cariactures Mr. Burns chose as the ":gay scene."
I've been here and queer thousands of years now and have only seen two drag shows and zero leather fests.
Although I do love to go to womyn's night and try to pick up chicks.
(kidding)
What about all the artists and musicians and freaks and geeks and alderpeople and business owners and writers and politicians and newscasters etc that I tend to hang with?
Very lopsided take on things.

Sorry Kenneth.
I think you should get more.
Buy you a beer?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:16 pm

blunt wrote:Sorry Kenneth.
Buy you a beer?

Is there an "out" missing from that snippet, or is that some sort of proposition?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:50 pm

massimo wrote:
blunt wrote:Sorry Kenneth.
Buy you a beer?

Is there an "out" missing from that snippet, or is that some sort of proposition?

To put it bluntly...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:05 pm

I just wish I was "gayer"
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35 pm

blunt wrote:I've been here and queer thousands of years now and have only seen two drag shows and zero leather fests.

Because you don't do these things, they don't count? Every event I covered was well attended. Apparently Madisonians really do go to drag shows and leather contests.

blunt wrote:"front page story" that seemed to have been merely called in recently.

Yes, it was the method of merely calling in a story whereby I interview people and go to venues and events. I'm so lazy!
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:45 pm

The vet clinic right next door isn't exactly thrilled to hear about their new (potential) neighbors.

Loud thumping beats and diva shrieks aren't exactly what recovering cats and dogs need during their stay at the vet. Noise is definitely a concern.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe