MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Senior Housing Link?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Senior Housing Link?

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:18 pm

I just googled Senior Housing Madison Wisconsin and it took me to places I didn't want to go. In my mind, I should be able to click on a link that just lists 'em all in Madison. Anyone got an easy way to locate that list or link?

I like living downtown, but I sometimes lose patience with noisy neighbors. And I'm not sure if I would like living in a place, someone's falling off frequently. I just want to know where they're at.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:46 pm

I don't know of a link, but I often drive by a couple senior apartment complexes if that's what you're looking for. One is right next to John Powless Tennis Center on the corner of Schroeder Rd. and Struck. Then there's another within shouting distance across from the post office on Struck. Both right down the street from Woodman's West.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm lookin' for in the city, central. I didn't care for the location of my mom's old place, way out in Fitchburg, off the busline. I know someone at the old Attic Angels, behind Hilldale. (She says they avoid the residents because they are morose.) I wouldn't mind Cap.Center if it wasn't all concrete, and I wonder about the noise there too. Yeah, I know I'm asking a lot, for location, quiet, city, busline, and cheap. Anyway, at this point, I just want to know what exits.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Yeah, I know I'm asking a lot, for location, quiet, city, busline, and cheap.

Cheap + downtown'll be tricky, I'll bet. You could check Meriter Heights and Meriter MainGate... here's the Meriter Retirement website.

My mom lived in Middleton Glen, another Meriter property, right at the entrance to Middleton Hills. At first I was bummed that she chose a place on the outskirts (I live downtown), but I fell in love with it, as did she. She moved to MG from out of town and lived there only three years before she died, but in that time she developed a terrific circle of friends among her neighbors. MG is condos, though, not apartments, and not what you'd call cheap.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Senior Housing Link?

Postby sailor jonathan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:36 am

Bwis53 wrote:Anyone got an easy way to locate that list or link?

You cannot know what self-restraint it has taken not to write a smart-assed reply about the old-fashioned peer-to-peer real-time voice-over-wires technology we had back in the day. :lol: Let me just say...

There's a list exactly as you desire in the phonebook.
sailor jonathan

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:13 am

The yellow pages list is very incomplete. Some apartments, for older tenents, were listed online and not in yellow pages. This is an interesting bit of homework though. I'd take a tiny place by Hilldale, but I love walking on the Isthmus and over to Willy Coop. I'm still surprised there's not one site, that has the whole list right there.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 am

Below are some links that might help you out.

Linky

Linky

Linky

Linky

Linky
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks for the links. I'm not really looking for elder services. To put it bluntly, I'm thinking of getting semi-segregated from noisy partiers.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Bwis, what about moving out to the Hilldale area? There used to be some pretty reasonable apartments in that neighborhood and the bus service should be good for getting downtown/to co-op. Not ideal, but I just don't think the quiet parts of downtown are affordable.

I think prof w. & auntgoodness live around there now, maybe one of them could let you know the scoop if they peek in this thread.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:07 pm

cattyr wrote:Bwis, what about moving out to the Hilldale area?

Hilldale is what's referred to as a NORC: a naturally occurring retirement community. I could picture living out there some day... though I'd rather snag one of those bitchin' mid-century palaces on the hill in Shorewood.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby equuspower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:41 pm

I don't know about a list, but try Sherman Terrace. There are both condos and rentals. It's an older complex, close enough to walk to places including the co-op(it's by Tenney Park)and for the most part, it's a lot quieter than the high density student areas, but it's an apartment complex so you have to expect some noise. http://www.shermanterrace.org/

If you want to buy - you can stil purchase for under $100,000.
equuspower
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe