MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Madisonians - Where are you???

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Madisonians - Where are you???

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:41 pm

The more I talk to people around town, the more I'm noticing that true Madisonians are few and far between...What is a "true Madisonian"? Well, to me, a true Madisonian is someone who was born and raised here, or (at least) someone who has been here so long that they remember Madison "back in the day".

So...do you remember when...
    * Warner Park was a dump?
    * city buses were named after streets?
    * MATC downtown was Madison High?
    * when cars could drive on State Street?
    * when you could swim in Madison lakes w/o fear of algae and other pollutants?

Where are all the Madisonians???Image
Madisonianne

Re: Madisonians - Where are you???

Postby cattyr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Madisonianne wrote:* MATC downtown was Madison High?
* when you could swim in Madison lakes w/o fear of algae and other pollutants?

These are the only two I can't remember, though not sure about Warner Park. My little world was largely restricted to Jennifer/Willy street on the east side, the downtown area, and Hilldale/Midvale to the west. Everything else I considered sort of "out of town" growing up. I also remember thinking once you got past the Ivy Inn or Poole's Cuba Club you were headed for the country.

Wasn't born here but I think kindergarten qualifies. You?
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madisonians - Where are you???

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Madisonianne wrote:Where are all the Madisonians???Image

They kept swimming in the lakes a bit longer than they should have. :shock:

While I did not grow up in Madison, I do remember some of these things from infrequent visits to my elder relations going to school at the UW.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:06 pm

To say that things are different from "back in the day" is an understatement. I could go into the myriad of city planning blunders, the changing political times, the inability of this city to have a central industry, and on and on.

Having lived here for 40 of my 45 years, I can say it's a still great place with a lot more potential than Dubuque...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm a German immigrant, but I went to kindergarten at Elm Lawn Grade School 1955, Ms.Hill's class! There was a dump north of the Middleton Theater. God, do I ever remember the old buses with the rounded corners and a Coke cap on the front!!! My favorite routes were: Middleton and Westmorland-Fair Oaks. Oh, yeah and I miss Renny's, Snappy's, and Downtown.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Harriet The Spy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:36 pm

I remember when Manchesters on the Square still had elevator operators and when it seemed there was a Rennebohm's drug store on every corner.
Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm

School shopping at Manchester's was an annual mother-daughter ritual. Loved riding that elevator! They wore gloves, too.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:49 pm

I am a native Madisonian, having been born and raised here; I've never lived anywhere but here (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!)

And just how could I forget Renny's - especially 30 on the Square! The little diner and my favorite - the #9. Ah...the memories!

Manchester's - yes...not to mention Woolworth's and Kressge's (which was the discount store for K-mart...if you can believe that!) I also remember when the YWCA had an elevator operator.

Correction...I think it was Madison Central High - anyone remember for sure?

Egad, I'm old! Image
Madisonianne

Postby Hank_Venison » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:58 pm

I was born and raised here, on the east side.
Although, I may be quite a bit younger than you.

Warner Park was a dump? No

city buses were named after streets? The only city bus I took when I was younger was the East Towne/West Towne. Is it still called that?

MATC downtown was Madison High? No, but I think one of my older sisters went there, but it was called Central High.

when cars could drive on State Street? Yes, but I was very young.

when you could swim in Madison lakes w/o fear of algae and other pollutants? Yes, used to all the time.
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Yes, it was Central High. Remember the funny smell when you walked into Kresge's? We'd go there to use the photo booth. There was a restaurant called King Burger where you ordered via a phone from your booth. For some reason that just cracked us up when we were kids. We used to play ditch in the Capitol when it was cold out. In warm weather we met at the Eagle's club and started from there.

I'm glad I grew up when I did. It was no big deal for a group of children 8-9 years old to ride downtown on our bikes or for me to walk to the square alone. Would that still be the case? I honestly don't know.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:05 pm

* when you could swim in Madison lakes w/o fear of algae and other pollutants? /quote

I am far from a 'native' Madisonian as I moved here very recently. I do, however, feel some disappointment with all the talk about 'how polluted the lakes have become'.

"Alge"? Ok, maybe bad for the environment and unsightly but I can't believe its that dangerous to swimming-humans.

"Other pollutants"? Well, it seems like everyone TALKS about how polluted the lakes are but I've never seen proof (admittedly a quick google search is all I've attempted).

Growing up on the East Coast, we swam in Long Island Sound (far, far from clean) all summer, every summer. We are all fine (in a relative sense of course...).

As an excited new Madison resident I guess I'm just frustrated that so many people automatically slam the lakes and offer little proof. The lakes are such a huge attraction to Madison and it seems that people here almost enjoy degrading them.

If the rumors of pollution and 'danger' are true, then all of us need to work very hard to change things. But if this talk is just a knee-jerk alarmist response then everyone needs to stop worrying and start enjoying the tremendous natural resource we all have - for what it is today, not what is was 50 years ago.

Many other 'big' city residents would DRINK Lake Mendota's water. I guess its all relative... (my apologies for the rant and highjacking this post...)
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Although, I may be quite a bit younger than you.

Oh snap! But, hey - I'm only 5 years older than you! Damned whippsnappers, always makin' me feel even older than I am!

city buses were named after streets? The only city bus I took when I was younger was the East Towne/West Towne. Is it still called that?

Yep...I remember the North/Johnson Street bus (sorry, that's all this feeble mind can recall right now!)

Remember the funny smell when you walked into Kresge's? We'd go there to use the photo booth.

My 2 oldest are 25 and 24...I have pictures of them when they were 3 and 2 that were taken in that photo booth! I'll have to ask them if they remember going there...

Veeder - my reference to the lakes being polluted come from the beach closing that are not only more and more frequent (it seems) with each passing year, but which also last for longer periods of time. When I was a kid (yes, waaaaay back then...heh-heh!), we could swim in just about any body of water around town - to include the lagoon at Warner Park, without ever worrying about what was in it. I wouldn't let my dog swim in it now (not that I have a dog...ew!)

I was once told by a park attendant that part of the problem is people feeding the ducks bread and other non-duck foods - can't say whether or not this is true... None-the-less, I still love the Madison lakes; in the summer, it's a tradition to cruising over to the Chocolate Shoppe on Fordem Ave for some ice cream, then head over to Burrow's Park to eat it and watch the water...

Burrow's Park, May 2006
Madisonianne

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:38 pm

I've got photos of me and my two best friends from the Kresge photo booth! I ran elevator at Manchester's one Christmas! (Moseley's too!)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:20 pm

awwww hell I REmember those days man,. O hell I remember those good aole days in Madtown man. There aws a time man, there awaw as time. Like I rembmer the bisses with the signa on the bacj talkin about Plopplop fizz andd what you do to Flintstonws nRw YORK CITY thise wweer the days man. The vclarr fresh blue waster. I rembmer when me na Laura met man. It was att this polace down in SoBro man she wqws from IOWA a coujntey farm irls didn;t knows hew wasy around the BIGF CITY. GO MALLARDS GO MALLARDS Man those werew the daysy mane but she's back in IOWA man. tha's wqhwree shes' at and i{m cool whait that manm ,
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Madisonianne wrote:And just how could I forget Renny's - especially 30 on the Square! The little diner and my favorite - the #9. Ah...the memories!

Manchester's - yes...not to mention Woolworth's and Kressge's (which was the discount store for K-mart...if you can believe that!) I also remember when the YWCA had an elevator operator.

Ah, thanks for that. I recall those elevator operators at Manchesters, going to Woolworth's sales, and getting french fries at Rennebohm's (which were probably a side for something my mother got).
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe