MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison drivers are getting even worse...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:That said, Wisconsin's Motorists' Handbook clearly states that you should pull out to the middle of the intersection while waiting to make a left turn.

That's right ... but please do keep your wheels straight while you wait for an opening to make your turn. If you are sitting there with your wheels already turned to the left, and someone hits your vehicle from behind, you can end up rolling into the oncoming traffic. What would have been a minor fender-bender can suddenly become a lethal, high-speed collision.

["You" meaning anybody, not specifically Wagstaff.]
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 pm

kurt_w wrote: ... but please do keep your wheels straight while you wait for an opening to make your turn. If you are sitting there with your wheels already turned to the left, and someone hits your vehicle from behind, you can end up rolling into the oncoming traffic. What would have been a minor fender-bender can suddenly become a lethal, high-speed collision.

That is the exact advice given to me when I took driver's ed over 40 years ago.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woe Now » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:23 pm

I drive Beltline traffic every day. Why do people insist on driving slow in the passing lane? Itâ??s extremely unsafe to make others jockey to get around them. Is it a passive aggressive thing, fear or just no concept of the far left lane being used only for passing?

On another note, the crap I see people doing in traffic are simply amazing, besides using the cell phone and eating.

- Looking directly at and reading a book to a child thatâ??s in a car seat while going 70
- Smoking a bowl while â??MERGINGâ?Â
Woe Now
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Woe Now wrote:I drive Beltline traffic every day. Why do people insist on driving slow in the passing lane?

I've often wondered the exact same thing.
My current theory is that people are stupid or they are jerks or they are stupid jerks. Perhaps some combination ...
It's particularly annoying where the Beltline is a 6-lane highway. Listen up, people: The far right lane is for merging onto or exiting the highway and the far left lane is for passing. If you ain't passing, merging or exiting, just stay in the center lane!

Oh, and nice advice, kurt - I believe that is also in the Handbook.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Woe Now wrote:I drive Beltline traffic every day. Why do people insist on driving slow in the passing lane?

An ex-girlfriend, once on the highway, always jumped over to the left lane and stayed there. After two or three trips like this I finally asked why and was told that she had been taught that it is safer to stay there than to be changing lanes all the time. I tried explaining that it causes back-ups and it was not the correct way to drive but she refused to hear different. I spent much of this relationship avoiding anything that would start a fight, so I just gripped the armrest, gritted my teeth, and tried not to look at the people passing us on the right.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm

I can't decide if this thread reads more like Dave Barry or Jerry Seinfeld.

On one hand you have the "What is the DEAL with drivers in Madison?" and on the other:

[quote="Woe Now"]- Looking directly at and reading a book to a child thatâ??s in a car seat while going 70
- Smoking a bowl while â??MERGINGâ?Â
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scooterboy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:18 pm

I think drivers have become ruder and more ignorant of the traffic laws. Is Driver's Ed even required anymore? If you add that to the fact that many cars have in excess of 200 hp, and more than some have more that 300 hp, well, what do you expect? Now, we take these drivers and their faster, heavier, more powerful cars and put them on straighter, wider roads, and they think its Daytona. And it's not only the cars doing 80+ mph on the beltline, it's the trucks as well. Commerce and all. That's why I keep souping up my scooter: to keep up with the increased pace of modern traffic.
Scooterboy

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 am

White neon

New York plates

"homosexuals are evil" "jesus is god" written on trunk

some other green bumper sticker

If you're going to drive like a total jackass, you shouldn't have such a recognizable car.

I'll be looking.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:06 pm

Amazingly I keep hearing from people who leave Madison and find themselves ticketed for speeding, not yielding to pedestrians, etc-all those things they never got stopped for here

But no-drivers ed is not required anymore. That is one of the extras we cut out. Now it costs something like $200 or $300 dollars, and unlike athletics there are no scholarships. It would make sense to require students to take the classroom portion but that just isnt happening here
and
another one of those things I wouldnt know if I didn't have children is that there are many many young people driving around who don't have licenses, don't really know how to drive or even the rules of the road, and of course don't have insurance
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Where the hell are all these 80 mph drivers on the beltline? I've never seen anyone go 80 anywhere in Madison (I have seen it on I-94 to Milwaukee). When I drove the Beltline, I'd be lucky to hit 65 what with all the Qtips going 40.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:42 pm

I learned to drive in the Dallas area and I'll never forget my first impression of Madison: "Wow! These people don't drive like total pricks!" Ten years later, y'all still crack me up. :D

My main complaint about Madison traffic is the lack of protected left turns (green arrows). I get tired of hanging out in the intersection until I can turn on yellow. But I do remember my driver's ed training and keep the wheels straight (yes, sir!).
morriskatze

Postby Scooterboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:31 pm

buckyor wrote:Where the hell are all these 80 mph drivers on the beltline? I've never seen anyone go 80 anywhere in Madison (I have seen it on I-94 to Milwaukee). When I drove the Beltline, I'd be lucky to hit 65 what with all the Qtips going 40.

You obviously don't drive the Beltline these days. 70 is the norm and 80 isn't that unusual,. The same goes for swerving from lane to lane to get around slow drivers in the left lane or right exits from the left lane. Sometimes things calm down when there's a big anti speeding initiative by the police, but a few weeks after that's over it's the pedal to the metal.

I was passed by two cars doing 90 - 100 mph or maybe more on Stoughton Rd between the Beltline and Pflaum Rd. A BMW and a Merc. I was doing over 50 mph, and they shot passed me so fast I couldn't ID the makes of the cars until I caught up to them at the red light.

It's true that in most cities, the drivers are even worse (Minneapolis comes to mind).
Scooterboy

Postby wolfsbane » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:38 am

Scooterboy wrote:
buckyor wrote:Where the hell are all these 80 mph drivers on the beltline? I've never seen anyone go 80 anywhere in Madison (I have seen it on I-94 to Milwaukee). When I drove the Beltline, I'd be lucky to hit 65 what with all the Qtips going 40.

You obviously don't drive the Beltline these days. 70 is the norm and 80 isn't that unusual,. The same goes for swerving from lane to lane to get around slow drivers in the left lane or right exits from tathe left lane. Sometimes things calm down when there's a big anti speeding initiative by the police, but a few weeks after that's over it's the pedal to the metal.

I was passed by two cars doing 90 - 100 mph or maybe more on Stoughton Rd between the Beltline and Pflaum Rd. A BMW and a Merc. I was doing over 50 mph, and they shot passed me so fast I couldn't ID the makes of the cars until I caught up to them at the red light.

This has to be one of the most obviously false, exaggerated rants I have ever seen. I have driven on the beltline for many years, and I have never once seen normal speeds of 70 to 80 mph. Not once. I can usually blow past everyone at 65, and I always start to feel paranoid about how much faster I am going than everyone else if I approach 70... for even a mile or two. I would guess the "normal" speed is between 55 and 60.

I39/90 just to the east of Madison is a different story. I'd say 70 is totally common there.
wolfsbane

Postby barney » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 am

wolfsbane wrote:
Scooterboy wrote:

You obviously don't drive the Beltline these days. 70 is the norm and 80 isn't that unusual,. The same goes for swerving from lane to lane to get around slow drivers in the left lane or right exits from tathe left lane. Sometimes things calm down when there's a big anti speeding initiative by the police, but a few weeks after that's over it's the pedal to the metal.

This has to be one of the most obviously false, exaggerated rants I have ever seen. I have driven on the beltline for many years, and I have never once seen normal speeds of 70 to 80 mph. Not once. I can usually blow past everyone at 65, and I always start to feel paranoid about how much faster I am going than everyone else if I approach 70... for even a mile or two. I would guess the "normal" speed is between 55 and 60.

I39/90 just to the east of Madison is a different story. I'd say 70 is totally common there.

Well, since the speed limit on the "I" is 65, 70 is not that out of the ordinary.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scooterboy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:11 am

Well, since I am usually going 65-70 mph on the beltline, then all those cars passing me must be what, going slower? I don't go anywhere near the beltline during rush hours, but at the times that I drive it, the fast drivers outnumber the slow drivers.

I drive to the Twin Cities monthly. I drive at 75 mph. I may pass a few cars on the way, but I'm often overtaken by cars traveling much faster.

It's worse when I'm riding my scooter. No matter how fast I go, nearly everyone has to overtake me.

What happened on 51 is true, and it happened on Monday, with my mom in the car with me. If we weren't already late to an appointment, I would have 911'd those assholes.
Scooterboy

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe