MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Emergency Clinic for Animals Woes?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Emergency Clinic for Animals Woes?

Postby Bifftar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:48 pm

We recently had a very lame and trying experience at the Emergency Clinic For Animals, 229 W. Beltline (Rimrock exit) ... long story short, the FLUTD surgery on Steve Burke the Cat didn't hold because they gave us the wrong E-Collar (they gave us a soft one, and too small a size) and he easily licked his 'site' into oblivion. After a large amount of $$ down the tubes, and a cat that couldn't pee again - we went to the Middleton Emergency Pet Clinic and it was like night and day - they were awesome, and re-did the surgery (fingers are still crossed but we're hopeful). They gave us a stiff cone - the correct kind for that particular (PU) procedure. I heard that they (ECFA) have been taken to court a bunch, without result for the plaintiffs, but I am wondering if there are other forons who have had similar experiences? Has anyone sued them and lost?

for further info, see: http://myspace.com/steveburkethecat
Last edited by Bifftar on Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 pm

I sure hope you're not talking about the Beltline Animal Hospital, 800 E. Broadway. Dr. Karlburg is one of the best vets I've ever dealt with; I can't imagine he'd be so incompetent.

Do you mean the Emergency Clinic of Animals, 229 W. Beltline (Rimrock exit)?

ww
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:24 pm

Please edit your post, Bifftar. You've got the wrong pet clinic.

Seconded on the excellence and supreme competence of Dr. Karlburg at the actual Beltline Animal Hospital.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:10 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Please edit your post, Bifftar. You've got the wrong pet clinic.

Seconded on the excellence and supreme competence of Dr. Karlburg at the actual Beltline Animal Hospital.

sorry cats. Thanks for the correction. It's the ECFA, the emergency clinic for animals, nearly next to Nedrebos, by the suspended red corvette, on the beltline service road.

We would have gone to the Middleton one first but a rather large snowstorm stood in our way and we ended up on this long strange trip.
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:20 am

The myspace photos of Steve Burke the Cat reminded me of this:
http://acceptable.tv/videos/771-Operati ... n-Calendar

(Specifically, the cat "Sarah" gets when she wakes up late)
(Except, way cuter, of course!)
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:57 am

Bifftar wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Please edit your post, Bifftar. You've got the wrong pet clinic.

sorry cats. Thanks for the correction. It's the ECFA, the emergency clinic for animals, nearly next to Nedrebos, by the suspended red corvette, on the beltline service road.

We would have gone to the Middleton one first but a rather large snowstorm stood in our way and we ended up on this long strange trip.

The Middleton one's worse. My friend's cat was actively dying (although she didn't know that at the time) and they wanted her to spend over $800 on tests, then when she said she couldn't afford that, they offered her an application for a line of credit (while she's basically hysterical). She had them run all the tests she could afford (all the while being made to feel that if she actually cared about her pet, she would fork over whatever they wanted), which were inconclusive for anything other than dehydration. They, then, get this, would not release her cat to her, but instead held the cat over night until she could take her to her regular vet the next morning, who ended up having to put the cat down anyway.
What a bunch of crooks.

Glad to know there is an alternative for emergency vet care, sounds like the Monona clinic is a good option.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lascow » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Dr. Karlburg has been my vet for over 16 years... If it wouldn't have been for him, I would have listened to the Emergency Pet Clinic on the Beltline (I had to go there at midnight).They said that my cat had cancer and would have to undergo expensive care - or be put to sleep. Being the kitty parent I am, got her the hell out of there and got Dr. Karlburg's 2nd opinion. Uncomfortably for the cat... She just needed a few enemas. She lived a long life after that.

The Emergency Vet Clinic did however save my other cat who thought that electrical cords are fun to chew on (on a holiday weekend). Cost me a pretty penny... But he was worth it.
Lascow
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe