MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Light Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Litter... Litter Everywhere

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby ConstantTraveler » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:57 am

I would like to thank the person or crew who did one heck of a job cleaning up Leopold Park in the past day or so.

I went out there again today with another 13-gallon garbage bag this morning... and found the park to be quite sparkling. Except for a couple of corners where the woods were thick and the property line is a little sketchy anyway... aboslutely everything was picked up.

I don't know if this thread played any role and I don't care. I'm glad it's clean. Now we just somehow need to teach people not to litter in the future. That will be the bigger task.
ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Postby Pantherboy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:14 am

While I'll be one of the first to complain about what pigs my fellow humans can be, I'd like to point out that our area has seen some incredibly windy days in the past couple of months. I have found a lot of trash where I work, and I know it's mostly not from the employees (they're too busy trashing the inside). I maintain that a lot of the garbage we see in fields and yards has been blown there from trash cans and dumpsters. One of the main reasons to ask for paper bags at the grocery store is to cut back on the plastic bags that can be seen deposited in any given farmer's field at any given time.

I used to go caving in southern Indiana. After a whole summer of searching, we finally found a cave we hadn't been in and gained an access key for the gate from the local crazy cave guy. I insisted on taking some trash out so we could inmpress him and gain future visits hassle-free. We filled a garbage bag to the bursting point, and took it to him when we signed out. "That's the biggest bag of trash I've ever seen" he said. We have found diapers, beer cans, piss, batteries, condoms, and all sorts of clothing deep inside caves on almost every visit. Not to mention graffiti. I can't believe people are so stupid, but I'm a tree-hugging hippie at heart.
Pantherboy
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:25 am

The new trash bins will help. People in my neighborhood tend to put out their trash the night before and animals get into it from time to time.

As indication of the stupidity we're up against, in the men's bathroom where I used to work, there was rarely a day when used paper towels were not on the floor surrounding the trash can. This from a "professional" workforce.

I guess I should just be happy they even bothered to wash their hands.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ConstantTraveler » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:31 pm

bluethedog wrote:The new trash bins will help. People in my neighborhood tend to put out their trash the night before and animals get into it from time to time.

As indication of the stupidity we're up against, in the men's bathroom where I used to work, there was rarely a day when used paper towels were not on the floor surrounding the trash can. This from a "professional" workforce.

Except I don't think racoons and squirrels are digging into bags, causing 40-oz liquor bottles to flutter... all over the place.

What's also bothered me is that, no matter the cause... why do people look the other way when they see litter on or near their property instead of picking it up?
ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:51 pm

"guess I should just be happy they even bothered to wash their hands"

Yeah, you should. I have seen a few so-called professional guys come out of the crapper at work and walk right past the sinks and out of the bathroom. A couple have been guys I work with. I will say that my opinions of them have since been drastically altered.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:27 pm

I viewed the cleanup, of the Metro shelter, at Baldwin and Jennifer. Either it got littered real fast or they did a poor job. It bothers me that we may have to put up with this. Not a good face for Metro or the Heart of Willy Street.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PureVegieDude » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Standing outside the Great Dane recently, I noticed TONS of tossed ciggerette butts strewn among a pile of snow and ice. Eventually they will probably end up in the lakes.
Well that's the catch 22 of the smoking ban. Clean indoor air, more lake pollution.
Non-smoking ban = dirty indoor air cleaner lakes.
PureVegieDude

Postby Darthcrank » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:24 pm

ConstantTraveler wrote:
bluethedog wrote:The new trash bins will help. People in my neighborhood tend to put out their trash the night before and animals get into it from time to time.

Except I don't think racoons and squirrels are digging into bags, causing 40-oz liquor bottles to flutter... all over the place.

What's also bothered me is that, no matter the cause... why do people look the other way when they see litter on or near their property instead of picking it up?

I don't mean to excuse the evil slobs amongst us, but I have to disagree....
Raccoons the size of small bears routinely tear up our trash and the trash of our neighbors up and down the alley. City ordinance says I can't shoot em....

and trying to shoo them away isn't too effective either, they are quite used to humans and actually challenged a friend of mine over an open pizza left on the front porch of our home.

Human pests are worse.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ted » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:17 am

About the litter on the Beltline.... If you look at what's there, it's obvious the litter is not the "thrown from the car" type stuff. It appears to be garbage that's from a truck or garbage can, and guess what, last year I followed a "Green Valley" recycling truck that was full to the top, and it didn't have a cover over the top. It was spewing garbage all over the beltline as I was following it!! I'm not saying this is the sole source of it all, but at least in this one instance it was coing from a garbage truck. (Maybe this is a new way for Green Valley to get rid of garbage; leave the top off the truck and drive back and forth on the Beltline on a windy day)
Ted

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:31 am

Why not have the bar owners, city, etc. use a vacuum cleaner to suck up all those cigarette butts?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

More mcD's debris in the street outside today. At least this time they put all the garbage back into the main white bag before dropping the whole thing out the window at the stop sign.

Lovely

Out I go to pick it up.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe