MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Everyone Looks The Same Anymore...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Why is everyone staring at my little hat? 8)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby small cheese » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 pm

msnflyer wrote:
small cheese wrote:Same with a helmet. You've never seen helmet hair as awful as mine. It's the main reason I rarely take my motorcycle out.


Such a sorry reason for not riding! Get your hair cut short (#3 clippers works for me in the summer) or get a silk liner for your helmet. Or, there's always that other option we're not supposed to consider, don't wear a helmet. Your hair gets blown straight back and the road grime keeps it in place better than any gel or mousse. I find re-wetting the freeze spray I use allows it to be restyled. Yes, spiking it straight up is a style!

Yes, it is a sorry reason, but it's not the excuse I normally make - I'm not that vain. It really came down to some stupid woman in a green minivan who decided to make a left turn right in front of me (left me unscathed, but shaking for a good 20 minutes). I feel like everyone is out to kill me; it's just no fun anymore.
Last edited by small cheese on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:02 pm

small cheese wrote:I feel like everyone is out to kill me; it's just no fun anymore.


Based on my experiences as a pedestrian/bicyclist, there are indeed some people who are out to kill you.

There are many, many more people who - while they may not be out to kill you - simply don't care if they do it by accident.

After all, it sucks to be you.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby spanky » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:36 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Oprah wrote:
A good vinegar soak does the job.



For the garment.......or your varmint?


Both, duh!
spanky
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:57 am

Postby msnflyer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:36 am

small cheese wrote:Yes, it is a sorry reason, but it's not the excuse I normally make - I'm not that vain. It really came down to some stupid woman in a green minivan who decided to make a left turn right in front of me (left me unscathed, but shaking for a good 20 minutes). I feel like everyone is out to kill me; it's just no fun anymore.


Stupid cagers. Glad you made it safely. I always assume drivers don't see me. After left turners, tailgaters are the worst. I've sometimes started weaving from side to side in my lane when someone's on my ass. They assume I'm drunk so they usually drop back.

Come over to Bros. 3 for breakfast on 5/5 or to the ride from Madison Motorsports on the same date. It's always nice to meet other riders.
msnflyer
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:22 am

Postby small cheese » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Marvell wrote:There are many, many more people who - while they may not be out to kill you - simply don't care if they do it by accident.

After all, it sucks to be you.

WOW, that's a grim view...I know if I were to hit someone (let's say The Tolerator) by accident, I'd feel guilty for weeks. I would even consider sending his family a sympathy card. That's how much I care.

msnflyer wrote:Come over to Bros. 3 for breakfast on 5/5 or to the ride from Madison Motorsports on the same date. It's always nice to meet other riders.

Thanks for the invite, msnflyer, but I'm sure I'll be puttering in my garden. It's more my speed.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:46 pm

small cheese wrote:
Marvell wrote:There are many, many more people who - while they may not be out to kill you - simply don't care if they do it by accident.

After all, it sucks to be you.

WOW, that's a grim view...


You really think so?

I honestly don't; I think of any aspect of human behavior as a bell curve - the only real argument is over how long the tail is, and at which end.

There's some core number of serious sociopaths; maybe .005% of the population (if we're lucky). Even so, in a metropolitan area of 300,000 souls that works out to 1,500 people - enough that in any given week, given the law of averages, you are almost certain to interact with one of them.

I don't know if that's grim so much as just pragmatic. Everyone needs to get over this idea that the population they are surrounded by is somehow safe, just because it's familiar.

Hitchcock understood this. It's what drove him insane.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Previous

Return to Town Vibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar