MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

glenway golf course

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

glenway golf course

Postby madrad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 pm

hey anyone know if living by that or any golfcourse, say on gregory st behind it, do you think there are anyhealth risks with chemicals on the lawn at course blowing, washing over to residents?
I recall 4-5 years ago a boy died in Monona after swimming in golfcourse pond with a friend, they both got very ill, from all the runoff of chems into the pond. (didnt get as much press as I think it warranted)
madrad

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

As I recall that boy's death was attributed to a blue/green algae bloom and not any chemicals per se. These blooms have been found in lakes and ponds nowhere near golf courses (and have caused several dog deaths).

You may as well ask if you're in trouble if your neighbor fertilizes his lawn or washes his car in his driveway.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madrad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 pm

thats right, forgot about the algae

but seriously, do you think someone washing their car next to you has same punch as a whole golf course, re: quantity and frequency?
madrad

Postby Igor » Thu May 03, 2007 11:54 pm

I don't know about the chemicals, but given the tight quarters of the course, and percentage of golfers new to the game, you may be in danger anyway...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 04, 2007 9:26 am

I caddied for eight years as a teen and remember when the pesticide guys used to come out. They'd be wearing haz-mat suits and ventilators and we were just a hundred yards or so away in shorts and t-shirts getting misted by the shit. I don't seem to have any side effects, other than completely hairless legs and a tendency to drool whenever I smell freshly mown grass.

Anyway, there are enough guys who have made careers out of golf course maintenance and management that you'd think any sort of related illnesses might have gotten out by now. Then again, the guys who belong to these clubs are just the sort to engage in cover-ups and conspiracies.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 pm

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe