MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hello, Dahli, well, hello Dahli...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Hello, Dahli, well, hello Dahli...

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:19 pm

...It's so nice to have you back where you belong
You're looking swell, Dahli...

Anyone get tickets?

And should we or should we not fly the flag?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 pm

I think they should have put up a banner with,

"Hello Dahli"

or just plain

"Madison Welcomes Dahli"
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 am

i got one. It's Dalai.

fly the flag, who cares. It might make that ugly building look a bit better.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 am

Bwis53 wrote:I think they should have put up a banner with,

"Hello Dahli"

or just plain

"Madison Welcomes Dahli"

Dahli Madison?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am

Tickets: yes.

Flag: tough one.

Would Madison fly a Kurdish flag if a Kurdish delegation visited the Capitol? They're a dispossessed people who would have a nation if left to their own devices. The Lama might be a religious figure, but he'd be a national leader if not for China's boot squarely on his peoples' throats.

The Tibetan flag is not a religious emblem. I guess I don't have a problem with the city flying it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm

The obvious analogy would be if the Pope visited. The Vatican City is, after all, it's own sovereign nation and has its own flag. It seems pretty obvious that a municipality could fly the VC flag without violating Church/State separation.

I'll concede that the fact that the independent sovereignty of Tibet is not currently recognized by our country does complicate things somewhat, but I'm sure that in a similar situation China would prefer that the Taiwanese flag not be flown either. And we would tell them - rightly - to fuck off.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Tue May 01, 2007 3:24 pm

There MUST be some Buddhist sect that would actually argue that to honor the Dalai Lama, we should take all the flags DOWN, no?
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 3:40 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:There MUST be some Buddhist sect that would actually argue that to honor the Dalai Lama, we should take all the flags DOWN, no?

I don't know. I mean, when's the last time you got into an argument with a Buddhist?

Y'ask me, that's the problem with those people ... so damned introspective it's just off-putting.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 am

It's Dalai.

I'm going to the teachings as well as the Tara Empowerment. I'm pretty excited to "see" him if only from a hundred yards or so. I am excited too about hearing the teachings. This will be my second time seeing him. I saw him give a speech and answer general questions in Wash., DC at George Washington University. He's a great person to be around. At least, I got a good feeling from seeing him. The Chinese government might not!! :shock:
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed May 02, 2007 4:25 am

Marvell wrote:I'll concede that the fact that the independent sovereignty of Tibet is not currently recognized by our country does complicate things somewhat, but I'm sure that in a similar situation China would prefer that the Taiwanese flag not be flown either. And we would tell them - rightly - to fuck off.

One point of clarification: what's misleading about this whole debate as it has appeared in Madison media outlets is that not even the Dalai Lama has called for full independence for Tibet from China.

He is seeking some kind of compromise that would keep Tibet as part of China. But in exchange he wants Tibetans to have the right to practice their religion and culture. Of course, this would be antithetical to the Chinese government's desire to completely control Tibet. The Chinese government is basically paranoid and has said the Dalai Lama is really, secretly seeking full independence. So even if the Dalai Lama says this is not what he's seeking, the Chinese government has responded by saying, "Oh yes it is!"
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 pm

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Wed May 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Damn, am I the only one that finds it somewhat *creepy* when otherwise seemingly intelligent people get giddy like schoolgirls and BUY TICKETS to listen to some "teachings"?

Then again, I did buy tickets so I could listen to Doug Stanhope's "teachings".

and Henry Rollins.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Or a goat with a hat.

Postby Marvell » Wed May 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Darthcrank wrote:Damn, am I the only one that finds it somewhat *creepy* when otherwise seemingly intelligent people get giddy like schoolgirls and BUY TICKETS to listen to some "teachings"?

Then again, I did buy tickets so I could listen to Doug Stanhope's "teachings".

and Henry Rollins.

Trust me, Crankie - Henry Rollins ain't the fucking Dalai Lama.

This is His Holiness's 14th spin on Earth, doin' the same gig.

In his previous life, Henry Rollins was probably a tapeworm.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Or a goat with a hat.

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 02, 2007 8:17 pm

Marvell wrote:
In his previous life, Henry Rollins was probably a tapeworm.

Well, in Rollins defense, if he was a tapeworm in his previous life, he must have been one hell of a compassionate tape worm to jump up to human in only one reincarnation.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 am

I believe it's a fundraiser for the new place his friend outside oregon is building. Tickets to his other speeches are much cheaper,, ie) $10 in Chicago. He'll be back in a year or two when it's done for the Grand opening.

Not everyday you get to hear a Nobel Peace Prize winner, or someone making sense in this city/State.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe