MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Every other house on my block is for sale

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Every other house on my block is for sale

Postby oranger » Tue May 08, 2007 9:39 am

I live on North Ingersoll Street by Lapham and half the house between East Washington and East Johnson have for sale signs in the front yard. There is house next door to my house that was for sale but has been deemed unfit to sell. Does anybody know what's going on here?
oranger
Forum Addict

Re: Every other house on my block is for sale

Postby narcoleptish » Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 am

oranger wrote: There is house next door to my house that was for sale but has been deemed unfit to sell.

I'm guessing that would be a ray peterson house.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Integral » Tue May 08, 2007 10:16 am

Probably a juicy worm on a hook for any developer who wants to come in, raze all of those places, and put up high-rent condos or somesuch. Don't stand in the way of Progress, man.
Integral

Postby ShaneDog » Tue May 08, 2007 10:24 am

I was canvassing that area for Mayor Dave's reelection campaign and I noticed the same thing. There are tons of houses for sale on E Dayton, E Mifflin and that general area. I'm kind of looking to move into that neighborhood though so I'm very intrigued.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby awestra » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 am

I forget the guys name, but a long time Slum lord is selling off his properties...
awestra
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Tue May 08, 2007 12:25 pm

It isn't none other than James Powell the third, is it?
What are the house numbers?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

awestra wrote:I forget the guys name, but a long time Slum lord is selling off his properties...

Bill Kozak is trying to unload his properties, but I think they are closer to James Madison Park.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Wed May 09, 2007 11:31 am

I'm new to the neighborhood on Brearly. There are two on N. Brearly. A FSBO & one through Stark. I've noticed a couple on Ingersoll but they don't seem to be slum huts.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby Twofer4 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Well this is the time of year to sell, or attempt to sell anyway. It's probably a combination of the spring market bump and a slum lord or two selling off properties. The South Central MLS total listings has increased by a few thousand since winter, or at least January. It's still a buyer's market around here, that's for sure.

I moved a year ago and still track my former neighborhood. They are experiencing the same thing with a sudden glut of listings within a 2-3 block area. Including my former neighbor who is trying to sell her house again this year, after failing to a year ago in the spring. I'd hate to be in a "must sell" type situation that some of these listings appear to be in. It's an uphill battle, to say the least, with all the competition.
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 09, 2007 1:05 pm

One way to check who is selling their properties is to go the City of Madison Assessor's site.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Maybe it's you

Postby Copeland1984 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 pm

So every other house on your block is for sale? Maybe it's you.
Just kidding. I think alot of neighborhoods are like this. Mine is, too. Maybe the landlord unloading property makes this more obvious downtown.

This is also the busiest time of the year for real estate. And the real estate market's not nearly as slow as people think it is.
Copeland1984

Re: Maybe it's you

Postby buckyor » Sat May 12, 2007 9:30 am

Copeland1984 wrote:So every other house on your block is for sale? Maybe it's you.
Just kidding. I think alot of neighborhoods are like this. Mine is, too. Maybe the landlord unloading property makes this more obvious downtown.

This is also the busiest time of the year for real estate. And the real estate market's not nearly as slow as people think it is.

Actually, it's even slower than most people think. Even in Madison, believe it or not. Trust me, I know this from first hand experience.

That's why there are so many homes on the market. The inventory has been accumulating as new homes are added and homes already on the market take longer and longer to sell.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe