MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Cap times website redesign

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby mrak » Thu May 17, 2007 10:18 am

Bwis53 wrote:Sometimes I wonder, what were they thinking?

I wish they'd do something really handy, like make their hard-copy tabloid sized, like Isthmus and Chicago Sun Times. Much easier to peruse through.

I hear it was seriously considered. They've certainly given the [print edition's] front page a more tabloid-cover look.

My guess is that they stayed with broadsheet due to all their existing vending boxes around town. They used to share a lot of them with the State Journal (SJ in the morning, CT in the afternoon). I haven't noticed lately whether they still do.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:53 am

Long ago, I used to ride the El and subway, from Logan Square,Chicago to the Loop, and it was handier to hold and read the Sun Times, or Daily (back then) than the Tribune. I like the way Isthmus stays together when I'm drinking my coffee or in the loo.
The Times has separate boxes. I noticed the Trib removed all its downtown boxes.

I liked the old web better.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu May 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Um ... people at libraries and public schools that can't afford to update their hardware nearly as often as the tech savvy home user?

But why would those fuckers want to read the daily paper anyway.

Or people with visual disabilities for whom a 1024x768 resolution is like reading Braille without your fingers? But fuck them too.

Jesus, people. Design your own sites how you want. But don't be so fucking glib as to suggest there isn't a huge segment out there that might be saying "fuck that site" because it's inconvenient for y'all to take their needs into consideration. Where I sit, we call designers with attitudes like yours "half-assed, lazy fucks."

Back on topic, when I resize that Cap Times site, the stupid ad bar on the right doesn't move accordingly. I have to refresh my browser (IE 7) to make it reposition correctly.

Wait, we're lazy designers for lambasting their lazy designers? I understand what you're saying, but I myself noted in my critique that they should be designing with relative widths.

Shit, all of my work validates and is accessible, even on the tiny proprietary browser in my ancient cellphone. But when I did Lauren Woods' site, I optimized for 1024x768 and up because I knew the student audience could handle it and it wasn't worth giving up the screen real estate for something like 3% of the visitors. Likewise, when I did Gary Poulson's site, things were optimized for 800x600 and a slightly less tech-savvy audience. And screen res shouldn't affect font size if you design with relative font sizes.

So I kind of resent being called a half-assed, lazy designer. All I'm saying by applauding the Cap Times' move to 1024x768 and up is that there came a time when it stopped being worth it to support 640x480, and there'll come a time when it'll stop being worth it to support 800x600, and I like that we're getting closer to that time.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 am

Bruno wrote:So I kind of resent being called a half-assed, lazy designer.

Oh, take it easy. You'll notice my response was directed at Jesse's "who uses that shit" flip remark, first off.

I don't give a good goddamn if people develop their sites specifically for the moneyed technophiles out there with 21" LCDs. What I bristle at is the conceit that developing for the lowest common denominator (or LCD ... heh ... ) is a quaint anachronism. It's not. As you've aptly stated, you develop for your audience, whomever that may be.

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't understand that simple concept anywhere near any dev team I'm a part of (although this cheese tends to stand alone).

For the record, I generally agree with your assessment of the new Cap Times site.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe