MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Share your Middleton Hills feelings and/or Experiences

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Share your Middleton Hills feelings and/or Experiences

Postby universitylad » Sun May 20, 2007 10:09 pm

I hadn't been out to Middleton Hills in a number of years. Isthmus' recent review of Praire Cafe & Bakery http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=6498
brought me out to the far west side to check it out. The quiche and scones were excellent and were worth the drive out there. Flaky crust and fresh ingredients abounded in the quiche. I didn't realize it was an order at the cash register, then get your food delivered to your table type of place, but it's still worth attending.

Middleton Hills has really taken off since the last time I'd been out there. I do like the New Urbanism approach with the smaller yards and alleys, but I have to admit, I'd like at least a little backyard for grilling and gardening. Many of the homes seem to have garages that took up the entire backyard. Once the trees are mature it, it will likely resemble the near west side. It's nice they they have the neighborhood grocery store and the retail there seems to have good hold. I wonder if many of the residents walk to the grocery store.

Does anyone have Middleton Hills stories or experiences to share?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 21, 2007 10:00 am

My mom lived in Middleton Glen, the retirement community right at the entrance to Middleton Hills. I really liked the neighborhood, and even grew fond of the drive from downtown out University Ave. Back when Mom lived there, the one big downer was the dismal grocery situation. Worse than downtown! But they've fixed that.

The residential area looked a little too planny for my taste, but that was several years ago. I think it takes a while for the new-subdivision smell to wear off, no matter how careful the design.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm

While watching the plan commission tonight, I was googling information about Middleton Hills.

This is a good abstract/poster about the development.

http://www.design.asu.edu/apa/proceedings01/GRAMILL/gramill.htm
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe