MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

East Washington..... anything coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: East Washington..... anything coming?

Postby Detritus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Ducatista wrote:I second that, Bwis!

Unfortunately: "Soglin said the city should prepare a new request for proposals for the site — and another one across the street — but not move ahead until the city selects a developer for the vacant, city-owned 11.4-acre Union Corners site at the corner of East Washington Avenue and Milwaukee Street."

Perhaps the city should follow the market when it attempts to return city-owned property to the market. If Metcalfe is ready to go, then start with him, rather than making him wait.

Just a thought.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Good riddance. The ULI proposal was never very exciting anyway and did not take full advantage of the site and what the city is allowing there.

At some point in this process I heard that one of the ULI guys was criticizing the Gebhardt proposal and saying how they would never get that off the ground. Don't choke on that crow, big shot.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I think it's good that they read the writing on the (future) wall and called the thing off before they ran up a mountain of debt and and built something nobody wanted to rent, or a parking ramp no one wanted to park in.

Signs of adult thinking.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think it's good that they read the writing on the (future) wall and called the thing off before they ran up a mountain of debt and and built something nobody wanted to rent, or a parking ramp no one wanted to park in.

Signs of adult thinking.

I expect your take is spot on and the core of the thesis is the lack of some sort of demand. This is very shrewd thinking indeed.

Hmmm, what has happened to said demand in this locale?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 am

My comment wasn't questioning their smarts, they've been very successful. But I don't think they planned on anyone else getting there first and now don't want to compete for an unproven market.

That's a smart move at this point, but arrogance might have put them there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am

You might be right on that count. Quite possibly proposals for these three developable, contiguous plots on E. Wash didn't take into consideration simultaneous development on adjacent plots by other developers. (hard to word that clearly)

So now the landscape has shifted enough to make ULI's plan riskier than it was when they wrote it. That could be arrogance, just like the way everybody and his brother tried to build high-end condos a few years ago for the same, relatively small, segment of the public (which turned out to be much less interested than the developers hoped).

Talking to the people in my old neighborhood, I hear everyone say they'd like a nearby grocery store. I think whoever builds one will have a ready stream of customers if what they offer matches what people want to buy.

Beyond that, whoever develops something on E. Wash has to go out and find the customer base or the renters it'll take to succeed. Obviously, empty space is risky in today's economy. What the Gorman Company has proposed for Union Corners, with interested tenants already lined up by name, is hard to do but may be the wisest (or only) way to proceed. Apparently ULI didn't put themselves in that tidy a position.

These are all smart people, as you say. They're also calculated risk-takers, and it's interesting to see where they draw the line as they calculate their risks.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Another big development proposed, this time just off East Washington.

$50 million project in works for Madison's Near East Side
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 pm

City receives three proposals to redevelop 800 block of East Washington Ave

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2L13fIbjA

I still kinda miss my old neighborhood. This looks interesting. I just wish it had more details.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Metcalfe's on E Wash would make me a happy shopper. Here's what they say about their proposal on f-book:

Metcalfe's wrote:Metcalfe's Market along with Gebhardt Development today submitted a mixed-use development proposal to the City of Madison in response to the RFP for the 800 Block of East Washington Ave, Madison.

Our Proposal included....

50,000 sq ft Metcalfe's Market - LEED Silver

The Handlebar Urban Bistro - Bike / Eat / Drink / Local

262 Residential Units Including Owner Occupied

100,000 sq ft total commercial space

Proposed Roof Top Production Farm

Bike Station on the Mifflin biking blvd

Sustainable Passivhaus Demo Residence
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Sustainable Passivhaus Demo Residence

I don't know how this fits in a grocery project, but a passivhaus is very cool. Developed in Germany (of course), it looks generally like a conventional house but is designed so cleverly and insulated so fastidiously you're supposed to be able to live in it with a zero carbon footprint. Or something. They are supposed to work this far north, and it'd be fun to have a demo passivhaus in Madison.

Visiting in my old neighborhood today, I can say the new building going up on the 700 block of E. Wash is already going to be a total game-changer in a good way. So I can't wait to see what they do in the 800 block, and I agree a grocery store would be the best thing ever. It's so exciting to see all this happening after years and years of waiting, empty lots, and false starts.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby metas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am

One man's look at the proposals:

http://willystreetblog.com/wp/?p=4157

If you want to see the presentations, there will be a meeting of the E. Washington Avenue 800 Block North Committee Thursday, March 7 beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the Madison Senior Center, 330 W. Mifflin, in the second floor meeting rooms. Each team will make a 15 minute presentation followed by a 15 minute Q&A from the committee.
metas

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am

I am so thrilled for that neighborhood. I hope Metcalf's gets it!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby illman808 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm

yeah really stoked to eat farm fresh food grown above east wash traffic and directly across from MG&E smoke stacks...
illman808

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm

MG&E is either decommissioning or has decommissioned the coal plant, and the wind never blows from MG&E toward the north anyhow.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe