MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good new-ish used car dealer?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Good new-ish used car dealer?

Postby aaronetc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm looking to buy a new-ish (no older than 2004) "crossover SUV" but I don't know anything about any dealers in Madison. Suggestions for good places to deal with? I'm looking for a Pontiac Vibe or a Saturn Vue, but I'd consider anything in that category.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby anton » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:00 pm

No need to go to a dealer for a car like that. Take your time and find one off Autotrader / Craiglists / Cars.com. Try to find one from a private seller who has all the service records, and will allow you to have an independent inspection done.
anton
Forum Addict

Postby bmasel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Dick Nixon's back in the business, but he's cxhanged his name to Giuliani.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 pm

bmasel wrote:Dick Nixon's back in the business, but he's changed his name to Giuliani.

Hey, good analogy to sleezy salesmen. As I think about it, the top tier Republicans do sort of remind me of the cast of characters of "Glengarry Glen Ross".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good new-ish used car dealer?

Postby oliviaharis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:06 am

If only it could pull the skin off a rice pudding this could be a pretty good car. Can't knock the revvy lumps in them, but less torque than a dogfart.
----------------
oliviaharis
New Cars
oliviaharis

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 am

mmmm...rice pudding
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:54 am

RPM Motors -- New Glarus, WI
JohnnyBlood

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm

I have found a good selection of used cars at both Thorstad (S. Park St.) and at the lot on the SW corner of Fish Hat/Beltline (Zimbrick, I think). Both are dealerships and have a long term stake in keeping their reputations clean.

However, two things:

-- I agree with the comment about buying from an individual, checking the records, and getting an independent inspection. You're cutting out the middle man and saving a few dollars, if you are willing to do the work. That's the tradeoff.

-- What you're looking for is the right VEHICLE, and wherever you find it is the right place. Cast a wide net, take your time, do your research. Get the loan lined up ahead of time if you are serious.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 pm

One once had Don Miller on my business card. Can't speak for their east side or downtown operations (other than the Subaru building should be destroyed), but the west side on Odana Rd at the Pontiac and Mazda stores always had a fairly good stable of used cars. the guy who manages used at Mazda especially is a neat freak and won't put a trade car on the lot if its had an trouble because he wants quick sales and producing service records with blemishes on them doesn't move cars.
Oh, and he checks autotrader.com daily, so he knows whats out there and where he has to price cars, so you're less likely to find a similar car at a lower price elsewhere.

Just my biased opinion. I got out of the business a few months ago when sales started going soft.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 am

I've had good luck with Zimbrick. They've got a list of their inventory on their webpage and all the cars that I've looked at were priced fairly and in good shape. The salesperson was one that my family has dealt with for years and he got us a decent deal considering that we didn't haggle hardly at all.
Athena
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe