MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
canoe rack
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

New Garbage Cans

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

New Garbage Cans

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:34 pm

OK, so I know I was a pretty big cheerleader for the new garbage cans, but I do have a mild complaint.

Why the heck don't the lids close on'em after they're dumped, as they do on the recycle bins? I had to dump a lot of water out of the thing today and I'm not relishing having to deal with snow. Is this a design flaw or have the drivers just not figured out how best to use the new equipment? 'Cuz I drove down my block this afternoon and every driveway told the same story: recycle bin w/closed lid, garbage can wide open collecting rainwater.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Garbage Cans

Postby barney » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:OK, so I know I was a pretty big cheerleader for the new garbage cans, but I do have a mild complaint.

Why the heck don't the lids close on'em, as they do on the recycle bins? I had to dump a lot of water out of the thing today and I'm not relishing having to deal with snow. Is this a design flaw or have the drivers just not figured out how best to use the new equipment? 'Cuz I drove down my block this afternoon and every driveway told the same story: recycle bin w/closed lid, garbage can wide open collecting rainwater.

To make it easier for the raccoons to get into them. (Won't that be fun?)
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't understand.
I'm no Professor but I do know this:
my new garbage cans/pails lids close perfectly.
Not hermetically.
But they are closed.
And no water or snow can get in.
Have you read the instructions?
The wheels go on the bottom.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:11 pm

blunt wrote:I'm no Professor but I do know this:
my new garbage cans/pails lids close perfectly.
Sorry - I guess I was unclear (and I've edited my initial post in hopes of avoiding this kind of smart-assery from others.)

I know how to close the lid, it's the big giant truck claw that doesn't apparently.

See, the recycle bin gets picked up, emptied and when it is replaced on my lawn, the lid is closed.
The garbage can, on the other hand, is left open after the dumping, thereby allowing the water in.
And as I said, this was true for every can on my block.
Dig?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Dig.
Use the rainwater and melted snow for laundry.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Interesting. My recycle bin lid was open. Didn't put out my garbage bin today. If it's that consistent in your neighborhood maybe the claw needs to be adjusted.

I've emailed the streets dept. a couple times and they (George D) have always responded promptly. You should give that a shot:

streets@cityofmadison.com
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:26 pm

You could just leave the water in the bin and make trash soup for next week. Madison Malarial Maggotoni anyone?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks, blue - I'll see what happens next week, at least, before I make any sort of complaint official. After all, it's only the first week and it's not exactly of earth-shattering importance.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Thanks, blue - I'll see what happens next week, at least, before I make any sort of complaint official. After all, it's only the first week and it's not exactly of earth-shattering importance.

What about drilling a small drainage hole? Wouldn't help for snow, but would for the rain.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Stick around next week and watch. maybe it's the force with which the arm goes backwards.

I didn't put mine out so I can't tell you about mine, still only about 1/6 of the way full. Should be sometime in December.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:49 pm

Maybe the guys who pick up the recycling are more courteous and flip the lid closed after they take it out of the trucks mechanical arm and put it back on the curb? The garbage guys just seem a bit more angry at life than the recycling guys. In my neighborhood the garbage guys always leave the empty cans in the street while the recycling guys actually put the carts back on the curb.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby smokin' the dummy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:56 pm

My apartment building just received our new bins this week. These things are bigger than Gort from the Day the Earth Stood Still.

They're sturdy as hell and will keep the varmints out. You can put a lot of garbage in them. However, once fully loaded, it may be tough to move them-especially over snow laden walks, etc.

How many can be put in accessible spots for the trucks to pick up given the heavy on-street parking in the city?
smokin' the dummy

Postby Paco » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:57 am

My old trash cans had holes in them. I never had water in them when I got home.

because of contstruction on the bike path, I had to ride home thru residential area. ANd I did notice what you are saying. I'd say 90% of the tan ones were open, 90% of the green ones were closed.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 am

smokin' the dummy wrote:How many can be put in accessible spots for the trucks to pick up given the heavy on-street parking in the city?

I can't WAIT to see what our bumper-to-bumper neighborhood looks like tomorrow morning. Given the placement restrictions, there's room for maybe two trash cans per block, and that's on non-recycle days. Do you suppose the city just uses additional staff for the street-parking neighborhoods? They're obviously aware of the issue, since there's not even room for the recycle bins.

I dig the new can, but I think I might drill a hole or two for drainage (thanks, Paco!). We got the medium size, and it's humongous. I love that all our trash will fit in one covered container in the garage. Very tidy.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:56 am

Only drawback is when you throw in a bag(i use paper ones from grocery store) that has watermelon rinds or something like that in it, that will leak. then it leaks in your garage. My rubbish bins were left from the previous owners, 14 yrs ago, they are beat up beyond repair. They were then, that's why the left them.

If they do get wet, it's a good way to clean them.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe